Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Networking & Wireless

Question

Advent Laptop not conecting via wifi

by qwerty5oo / February 6, 2013 7:45 PM PST

My Advent verona laptop has always been poor on picking up wifi signal, unless your 5 feet away from the router it won`t connect. So I bought a wifi dongle, downloaded the drivers and utility programe. It see`s my wifi and when I put in my password won`t conect! I tried switching off the laptop built in wifi and disabling it in device manager. I took it to work, and it won`t conect their either! where I`m I going wrong?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advent Laptop not conecting via wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advent Laptop not conecting via wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be XP, trojan or other.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 1:25 AM PST

You didn't detail your system, WIFi channel, settings so everything is up in the air.

For example if Norton or other antivirus apps expire they lock out the internet "just to be safe." Which is a C.O.S! in my book.
Bob

Collapse -
update
by qwerty5oo / February 7, 2013 2:24 AM PST

Ok the culprit (I think) is this Realtek 11n USB wifi dongle, I`ve updated the drivers, downloaded the utility programme that goes with it. I get to the stage of putting in my wifi password then nothing. So I tried it on my home PC same no connection, and again on my friends PC. As for security I just use MSE and mulitboot into a fresh clone every month.
It can see my wifi then I get to this stage

Then it sticks here.

I`m using Windows 7 everything else connects easily to the router ipad, phones etc?!!
Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Since the product appears to fail on more than 1 PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: update

I'm unsure of your question. Are you asking others to tell you it's a dead stick?

Collapse -
Mm
by qwerty5oo / February 7, 2013 3:29 AM PST

Is there any other possibility I've missed something else? Networking isn't my strong point.

Collapse -
No it seems you tried your best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Mm

The only other test I try is a boot off of USB or CD of Ubuntu since I want to see if the device under test works there. If not we try another stick. However we try a new stick first since tech time is more than the stick. Some clients want to pay for the other test to save a 10 buck stick. Can't argue when they are paying 120 to 250 a hour.
Bob

Collapse -
Great idea
by qwerty5oo / February 7, 2013 5:12 AM PST

Great idea I've unbuntu in my multi boot, I'll try that tomorrow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.