Storage forum

General discussion

Advantages of SATA?

by drmusic45 / November 3, 2005 5:59 AM PST

Beyond just the data transfer rate, what are the other advantages of using a SATA hard drive over an UltraATA one?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advantages of SATA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advantages of SATA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Less wires.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2005 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Advantages of SATA?

Many years ago before SATA was available I attended an Intel design conference. SATA was being forwarded as a way to reduce cable and setup costs.

Collapse -
Cables, speed, the list goes on
by whizkid / November 8, 2005 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Less wires.

The cables are only 8mm wide, it goes 250MBps, basically way better than ATA/IDE

Collapse -
Where do we get 250 MBPs drives?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 7:26 AM PST

If we look at, current drives duke it out and you see SATA and IDE trade for the lead positions.

Please share some web links on the 250 MBPs drives.

Collapse -
by whizkid / November 9, 2005 10:36 AM PST

Along that field, I don't know any sites, but I do know that SATA-II does support the 250MBps, but it might have been megabits instead of megabytes. Not 100% sure, but more 85% sure.

Collapse -
I thought it is 150 MB/s for SATA and 300 MB/s for SATA II
by kt_leohart / November 10, 2005 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: Sites

I have never seen one that says 250 MB/s yet. Do you have a link?

Aside from wire and speed (which is controversial since real-world performance is similar between the two), there are other things that SATA has hot-swapping and native command queueing.

Collapse -
Origins of SATA etc
by TonyGore / November 10, 2005 6:43 PM PST

The original idea was put together in the late 1980s based on "links" - high speed serial interconnect used by the transputer. Inmos even made a disk processor for the prupose. The second generation links eventually had the basic technology adopted and it became Firewire and the standard version was standardised as Spacewire (IEEE1355).

The original idea was to cut down the cable size and connectors - if you know anything about reliability, reliability is approximately imversely proportional to the number of connections. It used to be that over 50% of car breakdowns were due to electrical faults, and most of these were connector problems.

Collapse -
UltraATA vs SATA
by RDFly / November 10, 2005 11:47 PM PST

First of all, the 133Mb/s vs 150Mb/s is the burst rate. Average data rates are atleast half of this, so the speed difference right now is not that big.

Some of the best advantages come with the cables themselves. The cables are small allowing better airflow in the case. Also when connecting more than one drive, SATA doesn't share cables and has seperate connection for each drive. With UltraATA, connected drives share cables and have to configured as master or slave. This can cause some speed issues when accessing both drives. The SATA cables have better noise canceling and can be of longer length.

There are several other improvements that make SATA more scalable than UltraATA. As a result you won't see any new standards for UltraATA.
SATA will be used in the future.

The bottom line is if you have a good UltraATA drive that meets your storage needs, there is need to upgrade. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting a SATA.

Collapse -
my experiance
by mmmark / November 11, 2005 1:26 AM PST

I just built a PC with SATA.
It has a thiner wire and is quiet.
It is the way to go.
With the default drivers etc. it had a weird look in "Device Manager". It had some kind of crosslinked thing. The speed of data transfer was unbelievably fast.

Then I updated everything. The BIOS, the motherboard chipset, and everything else I could find.

It looks normal now in "device manager" but now I'm lucky to get above ATA66 speeds out of it.

Collapse -
Better support from RAID controllers
by franknemec / November 11, 2005 3:55 AM PST

That's my expectation, not something I know for sure. Even if you're not using RAID for redundancy, it can help with future data migration.

Modern motherboards often have both IDE and SATA controllers, so with SATA disks you are more likely to find a way to get all your devices connected within the reach of cables.

Collapse -
Slightly off topic
by msgale / November 11, 2005 12:09 PM PST

If you really want performance why not use 15,000 RPM SCSI U320 drives, maybe with either RAID 0 or RAID 5. Should blow the socks off of SATA

Collapse -
SATA and RAID 5.
by fos_maj947 / November 12, 2005 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: Slightly off topic

With solid mobo support, SATA HD's in a RAID 5 give the best of both worlds--without the greater chance of failure.
Performance is as good as those with high spindle speed rates.

Collapse -
there are cons to 15K RPM HDs
by ackmondual / November 13, 2005 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Slightly off topic

A 15K hd generates more heat which of course needs to be dissipated, more noise which can be annoying, and uses more electricity which 'll show up on your bill as well as require you to ensure your PSU can handle it.

SATA also has its own pros too alr mentioned. Else price may be that other factor that may steer you away from SATA.

Collapse -
Main Advantages of SATA
by kal9000 / November 11, 2005 10:01 PM PST

Here are a few advantages to SATA over IDE

1. SATA Cables are thinner and can be longer, thus effectively improving airflow and ease of handling/neatness/flexibility in computer.
2. SATA drives do NOT have jumper cables, meaning no fussing with Master/slave/cable select settings.
3. SATA transfer rates are generally higher (more speed)
4. SATA handles RAID better
5. MOST important: SATA drives are supposedly Hot-plugging (or Hot-swapping), meaning that you can plug-and-unplug them while computer is running. Most motherboards that support SATA provide you with external connectors (Power and Data) so, if need be, you can use a SATA drive on different computers just like any USB or other external drives (provided it is not the main drive that has the system installed, of course).
6. Which brings us to a SATA advantage over external drives: you don't need a separate power supply to use them on different computers.

I'm sure that the list can be longer, but it is definitely long enough for me; SATA is the way to go.

Collapse -
some considerations...........
by ackmondual / November 13, 2005 11:42 PM PST

Yeah, many modern mobos provide SATA and IDE connections. At first, SATA only offered marginal performance increase over IDE. But i hear SATA tech is getting better and better so that'll be the way to go. However, if you only have IDE as of now... stick with it. It really ain't worth upgrade JUST THAT fo SATA. Instead, switch to it when you do a major upgrade.

Many months ago, i had the choice to get a 120GB SATA hd over a 160GB IDE for the same price. Posters overwhelmingly suggested the latter citing the extra capacity would do me more good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.