Mac Hardware forum

Question

Advantages of Mac

by edslak / March 5, 2012 6:59 AM PST

Ok, I don't want this to turn into a fire storm or have a bunch of people drooling over Apple, but I want to know what the advantages of having a Mac over a PC is?

I have used nothing but PCs to this point in my life but have been debating on buying an iMac. They seem to have interesting machines and an interesting OS. So anyone who has used both, can you please give me the advantages, and possibly disadvantages of having a Mac? Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advantages of Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advantages of Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
you will find all that information,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: Advantages of Mac
Collapse -
Answer
Advantages and Disadvantages
by Science777 / July 25, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

Being an artistically creative person, I much prefer using a Mac to a PC. The advantages of using a Mac is mainly its versatility, and the degree to which you can organize and view files as you would want to see them. The Mac seems more intuitive and organizes files in a way that you would in an actual space. With a PC, everything is organized in a more linear way with fewer options to find and organize them. Also much fewer viruses find their way into a Mac than into the PC. However, PCs can be less expensive than Macs for the same amount of RAM, ROM, GHZ and level of operation, while certain programs and files used on a PC won't operate on a Mac. Nevertheless, Macs and PCs keep on changing and improving. Hope this information helps.

Collapse -
Answer
Advantages of Mac
by StevenDilley / August 27, 2012 7:59 AM PDT

Mac is far better in any terms of multimedia, style and GUI. Multimedia is its biggest selling point so if you will not use programs like Final Cut, Photoshop, Premere, or the like then go with a PC, more compatibility.

Best Regards,
Steven

Collapse -
Why have a mac when you can have a PC?
by littlemisschic / September 8, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

First of all if you want to use music synth then go for mac, as for style..... no there are lots of better looking and more stylish PCs out there than there is MAC the most innovative they have done is make there computers white, iTunes are available on every PC so not exclusive to mac. Not better in any other aspect of mulitmedia other than if you wish to mix your own music. Apple are big because they make their product appear cooler than others on the market which encourages the sheep to line up like idiots and pay out their asses for a product that is less than adaquate. If you want the option to do anything you want then go for apple if you want to be a mac geek and overpay for a music mixer buy a mac. Just look at the specs and see what is better.

Collapse -
We all know you cannot do any real work with a Mac!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmm...I wonder
by pharmaca4 / May 23, 2013 2:21 AM PDT

By non-technical people, was likely referring to non-computer-technical people. Just because these guys are engineers doesn't mean they know anything about computer hardware, so it would be convenient for engineers to spend less time on upkeep. Macs are heavily favored by engineers in all fields due to their processing power and unix-base, but their use is not always necessary as really the qualities of UNIX are desired, which can be achieved on any system with a dual-boot.

Also, NASA JPL employees are provided a free Mac laptop, probably a factor in why so many in the picture have and use one. They made an agreement with Apple with their use of essentially a Mac laptop in the space rover. Though I'm unsure, this may have necessitated the use of Mac computers for communications with the craft and rover to resolve compatibility issues (laptop sent with rover was made on pre-Intel CPU architecture, so I'm thinking yes). Macs are not used in everything NASA or science-related either. Look at a picture/video of the space station; you will see hundreds of laptop computers, but not a Mac in sight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doN4t5NKW-k ~18:00

Collapse -
(NT) You did notice the S & /S in my post?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...I wonder
Collapse -
Confused
by pharmaca4 / May 23, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

I did. Your sarcasm would actually apply to just the first statement, otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. The way I took it you were saying sarcastically that no one technical used Macs, then gave an example refuting this thus revealing your argument - my reply was to this.

Collapse -
advantage of Mac
by ionamartin123 / August 5, 2013 10:29 PM PDT

Thanks a lot.I know only Mac can allot the space.The main advantage is multimedia.The information is very useful for me.

Collapse -
Answer
Advantages of Mac
by bluejeanbaby2012 / October 8, 2012 2:58 PM PDT

Heya. I thought i'd post my thoughts on this subject because I get asked the same question all the time by friends and family.

I have been in the Mac world since the beginning of time, so of course I am a LITTLE biased, but here is my pat answer to anyone and everyone who asks.

The first thing I say is, buy whatever your kids are using at school. Some schools run pc, some schools run mac.
Second, on a financial scale, the pc world will always be less expensive. Less money for software, less money for games, less money for peripherals, etc. etc.
Third, however, on a production level scale, Mac wins. On a keystroke per keystroke basis, Mac users don't have to type as much. And when you consider the number of keystrokes you do per day in the production world, keystrokes=money.
Fourth, Macs are so seriously user-friendly, that buying extras like peripherals of ANY kind, are easy-peasy. Not so in the PC world.
Fifth, Macs are NOT only for the graphics industry. They are hard-working lean machines that get ANY kind of job done. BUT. If you do come from the "artsy" world, then of course Macs are the only way to go, because they are THE standard printing/publishing/graphic industry standard workhorses.

From someone who uses both... Jus' sayin' ... Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Collapse -
Answer
Depends on your utilization
by DerekRose81 / February 6, 2013 8:07 PM PST

If you use design programs, powerful grafics and video software, the Mac is the best solution because it is intuitive, organizes files in a way that you want and these program operate quickly and smoothly. Macintoshes use a more graphics-based interface, while Windows is more focused on text.

Collapse -
Answer
Ask Yourself
by pharmaca4 / May 23, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

Hardware : Macs are ideal for number crunching. Number crunching is generally associated with advanced/involved/long processes, which are generally associated with video, sound, and picture editing. Unless you are performing computer work where you are having to wait a significant amount of time for things to process, then Macs hold no major advantages over alternatives. Cases generally look aesthetically pleasing and are always made of a heavy metal alloy (not plastic); if you wanted an equivalent PC case, you would have to look for one (a lot come in plain plastic cases) or customize one, which could be seen as a disadvantage (and advantage of Macs) for time-strapped individuals. There are not as many equivalents for Mac laptops; Sony VAIOs and Alienware laptops are the only equivalents I can think of as far meeting stability AND aesthetic standards set by Mac laptops.

Software / OS : Mostly personal preference; many people find the Mac OS more intuitive, so a new computer user may learn to use a Mac more easily. There is some Mac software unavailable on PCs, but none are functionally unique or superior to others available on non-Macs. Organization is a big advantage of OSX, and is much better than any native Windows. Software and OS are more stable than Windows; this may be important if running important tasks, or for new, non-educated, or time-strapped computer users as less upkeep and maintenance is needed. To say that Windows is unstable is an overstatement; this lesser stability generally refers to Windows viruses being more commonplace (especially important for naive users; with a proper antivirus program and common sense most people go for years without getting anything; seriously malicious viruses are a thing of the past, now its mostly benign adware=popups), random hangups caused by incorrectly configured hardware/software/etc (generally customized PCs), and the potential need to search for drivers for peripherals and other hardware (again generally customized PCs).

To summarize, Get a Mac If : Video, Sound, or Picture Editing (Number Crunching) and/or Maintenance/Upkeep is an issue

As I'm sure you can guess, I heavily favor non-Macs The disadvantages of Macs (believe me I could list a few) outweighs its advantages in most users, but it essentially comes down to personal preference and what you need it for.

Collapse -
Answer
Advantages and Disadvantages of Mac
by Harshada321 / June 2, 2013 4:57 PM PDT

Well, that depends what "advantages" you are looking for. I myself use both a Mac and a PC running Ubuntu, and I prefer the Mac simply because it is less upkeep.
I Guess "advantages" would be:

-Mac viruses are rare compared to PCs, but mac viruses do exist.
-Very user friendly.
-Able to run both Windows and OSX.
-Great computer for professional applications such as business, photo editing, rendering, movie editing, etc.
-Unix based, thus more secure + stable.
-Good multimedia computer.

And "disadvantages" would be:

-Upgradeability is limited.
-Overpriced.
-Interface is flashy and childish, bullshit.
-People who switched from a PC to a Mac may be confused for the first few days.
-Many programs do not work on Macs. (unless you buy OSX software).
-Nearly ALL PC games DONT work on a MAC.
-Fixing macs is rather difficult than fixing PCs.

Collapse -
And,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 3, 2013 9:49 PM PDT

"Nearly ALL PC games DONT work on a MAC."

Coincidentally, nearly ALL Mac games DON'T work on a PC!

Collapse -
In reality...
by pharmaca4 / June 11, 2013 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: And,

"Nearly ALL PC games DONT work on a MAC."

"Coincidentally, nearly ALL Mac games DON'T work on a PC!"

In reality though, there are no good Mac-exclusive games. The number of good PC-exclusive games greatly outnumbers those that are on both PC & Mac (though it is catching up).

Collapse -
Answer
Mac
by James_Carlson / August 18, 2013 7:14 AM PDT

Mac is a great machine. I use it for work mostly because I can arrange my files however I like. Some people say they like PC better for the games. But what I did is installed bootcamp which allows me to play games too. You do have to buy the Windows OS to install it. Just make sure you get one with a big enough hardrive so you can support Windows.

Collapse -
Answer
Apple is better
by tk-hassan / February 25, 2015 8:51 PM PST

I don't think you will find many people who has used both things saying too many good things about PCs. I guess if you want real high quality stuff from your computer you should always go with Apple but if you are real tight budget then you should stay using your PC.

Collapse -
Answer
Smooth Operation
by louigi909 / April 14, 2015 2:53 PM PDT

I have been a PC user for over 30 years. I have upgraded many times because software had traditionally outpaced PC processor speed, especially in the 90's. I have never liked the idea that some software companies sold versions of software, and even hardware, that they would not provide drivers for and would not run on the next Windows upgrade. But I digress. I recently upgraded my professional sound system that required me to use a program that needs a high level of system resources to run on my DuoCore, Windows 7 laptop. I had stalling and freezing issues that are not acceptable. I purchased an I5, multicore, Windows 8.1 laptop with 8gb RAM. Identical issues. I spent countless hours removing the desktop apps that ran in the background constantly, like Weather, Store, Music, Camera, etc., in an effort to lighten the CPU load, to no avail. After much research it was the consensus of the professional music community that Apple far exceeds Windows machines when it comes to pro music processing. I broke down and purchased a lower end Apple for $1300. After installing my professional DJ software I find that it runs flawlessly on my Mac Book Pro. I am still learning the Apple software and I am less than excited that Apple makes it difficult to use anything other than their software. Case in point, purchase a music track in iTunes then try to copy it to work in a non-Apple software on the same machine. The industry standard is MP3's, but not for Apple. While one can change the appearance of Windows 8 to look like the old Windows 7,it is my opinion that Microsoft made a bad judgment call trying to beat Apple at their own game by forcing users to purchase Windows PC's that are app based without the option of a traditional start menu that requires less resources, to allow for multimedia, and other demanding software.

Collapse -
You do know that you could convert that purchased track,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 14, 2015 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Smooth Operation

into a lower quality MP3 using the software already on your Mac?

I think I would also dispute that the "industry standard" is MP3. Why would an Industry Standard be such a low quality?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.