PC Applications forum

General discussion

Advanced System Optimizer - a malware?

by xfile / March 31, 2005 7:56 PM PST

Anyone heard about a program called - Advanced System Optimizer from Sysweak (http://www.systweak.com/)? Is it a malware?

I recently went to the site and downloaded and installed their trial version of Advanced System Optimizer which turned out to be the biggest mistake that I ever made in many years.

I only spent about 10 minutes on the software from downloading, installation, testing, and removing it. But even the program has been removed, there is one file name - ShellExt.dll still in the folder and has been locked up that can't be deleted.

I even tried to remove it in safe mode and without any success. I wrote an email to the company and asked for assistance and no response.

I was curious about why this file still remains and being used even the main program has been removed? Is it doing something that I don't know?

So I have two questions:

(1) Has anyone heard about this company and application before? Is it a legitimate company or another spyware producer?

(2) Can anyone tell me how to remove this file? I cannot use Add or Remove programs as the main program has been removed. I can not delete it since it's being locked up both in normal Windows mode and safe mode. I can not see anything similar in msconfig. What else can I do?

Many thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advanced System Optimizer - a malware?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advanced System Optimizer - a malware?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To delete the undeletable...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 8:50 PM PST

Look up MOVEONBOOT to delete such on the next boot.

I haven't read anything about your tested product, but rarely need such a tool (system optimizer).

Collapse -
by xfile / April 1, 2005 7:54 AM PST

Thanks for reply. You're right that I don't need a system optimizer, but I was curious about the new system's performance as I had a major upgrade.

Anyway, I assume MOVEONBOOT is a utilit? Let me know if it's incorrect.

Collapse -
Move On Boot
by crazeebob2000 / April 1, 2005 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: Delete

Yes, it's a fine utility. I used it just last night to get rid of a pesky app. The program had been un-installed but I couldn't get it out of the Add/Remove place on Win. XP.

Collapse -
Thanks and got response from systweak as well
by xfile / April 2, 2005 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Move On Boot

Thanks for the tip and I will download it and keep it just in case I'll need it again.

For the time being, I finally got response from Systweak, the maker of the software for how to remove the file and folder. Cut and paste it to desktop and delete it from there. I tried it and it worked, but to be hoest - I don't know if there are any adverse effects now or in the future.

And I still don't know why this file is used as no explainations have been given by the provider.

I've been very carefuly about "trusting" reviews and using new utilities and have not installed any "new" ones for many years.

I guess this kind of things make people can't trust new comers even they are legitimate company.

Thanks and hope my lesson will help others as well.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.