Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Adobe Software Removal Tool

by beach2912 / October 1, 2010 3:37 AM PDT

I am being prompted via a popup to install a critical update from Adobe, the Adobe Software Removal Tool, strongly suggested by Adobe to remove Download Manager. Is this legit? I am running XP SP 2 on a Dell Dimension 3000 and have Adobe Reader installed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Software Removal Tool
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Software Removal Tool
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've Never Seen Such a Product...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 1, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

Of course, I don't use the Adobe Download Manager and even if you did use their download manager, you should be able to uninstall it normally from "Add/Remove Programs".. I would ignore the popup, or if possible, identify where the popup is coming from and stop it from occurring in the future..

Have you scanned the computer recently with a good malware removal tool such as Malwarebytes of SuperAntispyware?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Adobe Software Removal Tool
by beach2912 / October 14, 2010 7:28 AM PDT

Ok. Will try to identify source but how do I do this? I update and scan Malwarebytes every time I use the computer and have been getting a clean report everytime. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
And You've Uninstalled The Adobe Download Manager?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 8:30 AM PDT

As mentioned earlier, if it's installed on your machine, the Download Manager can be uninstalled using the "Add/Remove Programs" section of the Control Panel.

Unfortunately, even a Google search comes up with no "Adobe Software Removal Tool" references, except for this discussion.. So, you'll need to tell us EXACTLY where and when the pop-up is occurring. The "source" of the popup could be from the internet, your browser, or directly from your computer.. If you disconnect from the net, do you still see the popup?

Which version of Adobe Reader do you have installed? The latest is 9.4.0.. Older versions are susceptible to vulnerabilities.

Try a second or third scanning tool such as the free tools below:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hitman Pro 3.5

And last but not least, you really need to install Service Pack 3 on your XP machine.. Many of the infected computers I've fixed lately are SP2 or earlier.. Basically, they're missing the security fixes in Service Pack 3.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif. Have A Look At This Discussion..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

It looks as though, there MIGHT have been some sort of prompt from Adobe about a removal tool. 4 years ago!! I would think this is worthless information, at this point in time, but it may be relevant, as to the legitimacy of the prompt. Confused

The first post reads (in part):

'Is this legit or some sort of spyware?

... The following updates are ready to be installed: then the message: Critical Security Alert - Software Removal Tool. When I highlight that phrase, in the bottom detail window is the following information: "This tool will remove Adobe Download Manager (version 2.1 and earlier - versions that Adobe no longer uses.) For security reasons, Adobe strongly recommends using this tool to remove older versions of the Adobe Download Manager from your system

Below that are the following button options: Delete All, Remind Me Later and Install Now.
'

http://bb.e-mug.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=8

There was a new version of their download manager from last year, but I wouldn't know about 4 years ago.

Could it be that those who are set to install automatically, would receive these type of prompts?

Confused

Collapse -
Thanks Carol, Yep, I Saw That Article...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 16, 2010 10:40 AM PDT

..when I searched for the problem earlier.. I guess it's possible the OP had an extremely old version of Adobe Reader or the download manager but I excluded that... Still, it's entirely possible. At this point, a response back from the OP regarding the uninstall of the download manager would be helpful..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
If You're Questioning The Critical Update..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player Virus
by falico33 / March 15, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

This thread may be a bit late but i recently had the virus problem and after unsuccessful research i decide to do my own removal i removed the two adobe flash player entries in the control panel Programs and Features Windows 7 and then removed the adobe flash player entry in the registry (At the run prompt type regedit return goto Find type in adobe flash player return look for the first entry that comes up with adobe flash player update delete this location from the left hand panel close registry and restart computer should be problem solved good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.