Mac OS forum

Adobe Reader Download

by Higgie111 / November 4, 2012 11:34 AM PST

I have recently been told by 2 websites where I open PDF pages to download version Xl (11.0) of Adobe Reader. This was done but I still can't access the pages.
I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8. A warning screen tells me that "Adbe Rdr 11000_en_US. not recognized". On the Adobe site I tried to change the country from U.S.A to New Zealand.

What do I need to do ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Reader Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Reader Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
you have something else going on here,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Reader Download

as it is very unlikely that any PDF document on a website would require version 11.0 of Adobe Reader to open it.

Safari is the default PDF reader on the Mac, so let's go back to basics to see if this can be sorted out.

Uninstall Adobe Reader from your Mac, remove all the Adobe Reader preferences from your Home folder > Library > Preferences. (Just drag them on to the desktop)
Now go to the Library that is at the root of the Hard Drive and find Internet Plug-ins.
Remove AdobePDFViewer.plugin
(again, drag them to the desktop)

Now go back to the site that requires V11.0, would be nice if you were to tell us what the site is, and see what happens when you try to open a PDF file.

Where are you trying to download V11 of Adobe Reader from?

Go to and click on the downloads button. Choose Adobe Reader and try again, but only if you really need to have it installed.

Collapse -
Adobe Reader Download
by Higgie111 / November 5, 2012 2:17 AM PST

Problem solved - many thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) How was your problem solved?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Adobe Reader Download
Collapse -
Adobe Reader
by Higgie111 / November 5, 2012 10:07 AM PST

While awaiting a response to my initial query I went back to the website I was directed to by the 2 (now 3) websites that I could no longer access the PDF data from - i.e.

I went through the step by step process 2 more times (after the 3 times previously) and then a pop-up arrived showing screeds of terms and conditions etc. which I clicked on to accept.

I then restarted as usual and tried a PDF on one of the sites ( which worked. The other sites also worked.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.