Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Adobe Photoshop Elements 3. OEM???

by dromel / June 25, 2005 3:29 PM PDT

I found an ad from an online retailer for "Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0" OEM for $19.95.

What does OEM imply?

In bold letters was also"Registration not included".
What does that mean? Are there additional costs or problems involved?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Photoshop Elements 3. OEM???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Photoshop Elements 3. OEM???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pirated
by Robert Polk / June 25, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

Sounds like pirated software. OEM stands for Other Equipment Mfgr. and relates to software included with equipment purchase. You wouldn't be able to register it if in fact it even would open after loading.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank You
by dromel / June 26, 2005 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Pirated
Collapse -
OEM
by taboma. / June 29, 2005 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Pirated

usually stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, not Other. Photo Impressions was free from Adobe a few years ago. $19.95 sounds right.
Go to Adobe and check out the price. May be $39 from Adobe.
Canon has Photoimpression for editing photos also. Comes with the software for the camera. Have never checked it out. I use Adobe Photoshop.

Kevin

Collapse -
Photoshop Elements
by taboma. / June 29, 2005 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: OEM

is what I ment to say from Adobe, not Impression. Sorry for the confusion. Late at night. I had signed up for the original offering of Elements from Adobe on my PC some five years ago and it was free. Never used it. Simple photo editing program for the general public to use.
On my Mac I use Adobe Photoshop.
The offer for $19.95 may be good and not pirated.
Like I said before, go to Adobe.com and check out the price.

Kevin

Collapse -
Thank you, but ...?
by dromel / June 30, 2005 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Photoshop Elements

I was more curious about the phrase "Registration not included" in bold letters. This is from an online software retailer with good credentials.

Collapse -
Registration Not Included
by taboma. / June 30, 2005 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, but ...?

Dromel, Wonder why registration is not included? New one to me. I do remember that I registered with Adobe because I used to get a newsletter about the Elements software. It was the early original version back about four years ago. Not V3 as it now. Who was the trusted supplier?
Limited version?
We all can go to Adobe and download all their software for a FULL tryout version. The only thing that you cannot do with any tryout is to do a SAVE!
I will go to Adobe and see what is with the latest version of Elements. Maybe good if you do not want to spend $$$ for Photoshop. I will let you know.

Kevin

Collapse -
Adobe Photoshop Elements.3
by taboma. / June 30, 2005 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, but ...?

Dromel, Went to adobe.com to find out about Elements V3.
Top new features:
?Brush away flaws
?Easily adjust shadows and highlights
?View before and after
?Get high quality with camera raw and 16-bit support
?Enjoy flexible print options
?Instantly improve photos
?See the full color range
?Click away red eye
?Add decorative edges
?Divide scanned photos

Download version for Mac & PC is $79.
CD versions are $89.

There are many features from Photoshop in Elements. Does look very good for the majority of edeting use. And, will save you $$$ from purchasing Photoshop CS.

The original $39 offer from a good supplier is not that far off from Apple. Still cannot figure out why you cannot register it with Apple. Try asking Apple.

Amazon had a special promo going for Apple 10.3 TIGER X software at $100 before the release. Apple charges $129. Try Amazon and get a price for Elements. It will be less expensive than Apple and with a CD version.
Hope that I helped you out a little.

Kevin

Collapse -
Here's the link, judge for yourself
by dromel / June 30, 2005 2:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Kinda strange...definately pirated
by John.Wilkinson / July 2, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

First, I'd like to note that this software is definately pirated, and thus illegal.

Key signs:
* Unusually cheap price...you can find software discounted, but if it sounds too good to be true, it is.
* Not listed as a legitimate distributor/partner of Adobe, yet is selling the software in bulk.
* Cannot register the software. You can register ALL legal software, including OEM versions. If the manufacturer usually has you register their products and the distributor states that you can't with their product, there is a reason.
* No box or user manuals included. They are simply burning copies of a disk they have and may or may not be making the disks look real.
-------------------------------------------------------
I looked into the site, and found something a little odd. It is registered to Jim Polkowske of Herndon, VA, and owned by SoftwareDiner.com, also based out of Herndon, VA. However, the servers are actually in France. (See Netcraft's data sheet on the website.) Then, on the site itself, it directs all mail to Chandler, AZ.
A few lines copied from their site:

1. "What are the limitations of not being able to register my product?

The only limitiations in some instances is that you can not update your product. Not being able to register has nothing to do with unlocking the full program. All of our programs provide everything you need to fully unlock the product."

This implies that the CD they ship contains their own program, which will "unlock the product." In other words, they aren't hacking the software themselves, they are giving you the hacking tools they created and letting you do it yourself. (Once less crime they can be sued for, but you can. ;))

2. "Why is product registration not included with a particular product?

Certain distributors don't support this feature pertaining to a particular product because of the low cost that we receive the items at."

Bull! Registration is a part of the software the manufacturers designed. You can't register it because it has been hacked/cracked...and thus illegal.
Finally, the English is fairly good, but grammer is slightly off throughout the sight...not indicative of a high-quality business, and possibly indicating that they are not native speakers (explains why the server is in France).

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by dromel / July 2, 2005 2:21 PM PDT

Thanks John. Your post confirmed my suspicions. Always good to have a second view.

Thanks again, but I have to go now. The widow of a former South American finance minister wants me to help her move several million dollar$ out of her country, AND she is willing to pay me to help. All I have to do is ......

Collapse -
Millions
by taboma. / July 2, 2005 5:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks John

Me too. Weird scams.

Collapse -
Pirated
by taboma. / July 2, 2005 5:44 PM PDT

Nice post. Great information concerning piracy.
Adobe want to know about this. Send them an email.

Kevin

Collapse -
Link
by taboma. / July 2, 2005 5:36 PM PDT

What a strange link. Also incuded Red Nova as a pop-up. What is that all about?

Collapse -
Piracy
by taboma. / July 2, 2005 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Link

Link reported to piracy@adobe.com

Check out the Adobe site and ask questions if in doubt about one of their products. Adobe is a great web site for information, help tips and tech help for their software.

Kevin

Collapse -
More piracy
by Robert Polk / July 2, 2005 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Piracy

Just ran across a pirated version of Photoshop CS, will report it to Adobe. Thanks for the link.
Non

Collapse -
Piracy
by taboma. / July 3, 2005 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: More piracy

Bob, Not just Adobe. Look at the past links. Just about every software imaginable.
One word of caution going to that past link. I had a pop-up from Turkey.
Hope not a virus for some of you.

Report all Adobe piracy to piracy@adobe.com. Interestingly enough, adobe will contact you with a personal message. Not a form message thanking you. You will see it!

I was working in Boston a long time ago as an Art Director when Adobe had an open house to show off the software for ADOBE Photoshop and Illustrator as well as Adobe Reader and PDF format. Happened to meet the founder of Adobe. He was a programmer and his wife was a Graphic Artist. She wanted to do something that did not exist. He wrote the program to help her out and the program (Incapsulated Postscript File) and software.
Kind of neat to meet a person like that and admire his accomplishments. Adobe. The greatest! :

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.