Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Adobe indesign printing question

by cameojoe / February 5, 2006 3:01 AM PST

Hi, I'm trying to create a flier using Indesign and I want to put numbers along the bottem so people can tear them off. I went to layout->margins & columns and brought the the bottem all the way to the bottem of the page (0p0), but when it prints it stills cuts off half an in off the bottem. I tried changing printout to legal size so it would think it was abig sheet of paper and not cut off that bottem half in, but it still cut it off. Can somebody tell me what to do!?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe indesign printing question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe indesign printing question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Layout > Margins and Columns
by EdH / February 5, 2006 4:50 AM PST

The default it .5 inches. Change to something smaller.

You may have to change your Units in Preferences since the default is Picas.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
um ok
by cameojoe / February 5, 2006 6:05 AM PST

I'm aware the default is half an inch, I said i moved it to 0p0. Im not sure how changing it to inches would change anyhting, it still is at the bottem of the page and not printing correctly. Or am I supposed to change this somewhere in printer settings?

Collapse -
by EdH / February 5, 2006 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: um ok

Is your printer able to make marginless prints? Some can and some can't. That would be in the printer settings probably under Color.

Collapse -
Sorry - 0p0 margins?
by taboma / February 8, 2006 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry

EdH, sounds like he is setting the folios outside of the page or trim area.
0 point 0. Where is that located?
I see his post and may ask the same question to him.
Isn't it normal, like you have said before to set them at .5" or 3 Picas within the page area?

On the other hand (I pass on this one, thank you) you can take another attempt to inform him. I will let you do it. Good luck! :

Collapse -
anyone else...?
by cameojoe / February 7, 2006 7:24 AM PST

Sorry, I cant find it anywhere. The only marginless printing options i saw were for 6X8 photos. I went to the hp website and tried to look at help for my printer(deskjet 932c). I found the link for marginless printing but it is broken. Anybody have any ideas?

Collapse -
by cameojoe / February 8, 2006 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: anyone else...?

ok well I finally got through on the hp site and found out exactly what the margin standards are and mine wont print to the edges. But, oddly enough, the margin setting is different for the top n bottem. the bottem is .5in while the top is .1. So i just printed it as an upsidedown image and got the results I needed.

Collapse -
Margin Test
by pepsaholic / February 13, 2006 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: anyone else...?

Most printers can't print to the edge of the paper, and of those which can, many can't print to EVERY edge. (And forget that malarkey about switching to picas. Being a prepress technician myself, there is no bigger joke than seeing files set up in picas. I see it as a sure sign of someone who THINKS they know something about printing. The measurement format has nothing to do with anything. 0p0 = 0 in = 0 cm and the programs treat them all equally. Do you THINK in inches, or picas?)

Try this test:
Make a document the same size as your paper. Then make a box the same size of, and centered in the paper/document and fill it with color (say 5% magenta to conserve ink.) Now, print that. What you will get is a template of the print area of your printer. With that, you can adjust your layout to accommodate what your printer can produce.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Margin Test
by taboma / February 28, 2006 4:05 PM PST
In reply to: Margin Test

One of our software programs with a new update had all measurements in points. Picas are bad enough. Points are ridiculous. Luckily, the problem lasted only a few hours and the restart on the program corrected itself.
I cannot figure out 72points x 8.5x11. What's next, agates?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.