Computer Help forum

General discussion

Adobe Flash running slow

by jrw78 / January 6, 2011 4:02 PM PST

i am having trouble with Adobe Flash.

When i bought my computer several years ago, everything worked just fine. But over time, i noticed a gradually increasing lag whenever i would do anything that involved Flash. It was getting pretty bad, almost to the point where games were unplayable and videos had to have the quality turned all the way down to "Low."

Then, about a year and a half ago, my computer was infected with a really nasty virus. i ended up having to format the hard drive and restore my files from an old backup. While i was at it, i upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. It was like having a new computer all over again. Flash worked like a dream. But as the months passed, i again noticed an ever-increasing lag. And now, about a year and a half after my fresh start, Flash is again almost unusable.

i don't understand why this is happening. i take good care of my computer. Everything else works just fine. The only thing i ever have trouble with is Flash.

Some information: As i said, i am currently running Windows 7, but also had the problem when i was using XP. My processor is an AMD Sempron 3400+ 1.80GHz. i have 1.44 GB RAM, which i know isn't a lot, but i borrowed an additional 1 GB stick from my girlfriend's computer and there was no noticeable improvement in the performance of Flash. My browser of choice is Firefox, but i have the same problem if i use Internet Explorer.

i've searched Adobe's website and all over the internet for solutions, and have had no luck. Any suggestions?

TIA,
jason

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash running slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash running slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That 1.44GB RAM a single core CPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2011 1:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you for your help...
by jrw78 / January 10, 2011 10:45 AM PST

Flash works like a dream on my girlfriend's computer, and her computer isn't much better than mine. We both have the same model Dell, only she bought hers a few months after i bought mine, so the stats on hers are a little better. She has a 2GHz processor, compared to my 1.80, and has 2GB RAM compared to my 1.44 (but as i said in my original post, when i added an extra 1GB RAM to my computer it didn't make a difference).

The only other factor i can think of is the video cards. i went with the standard video card that Dell was using a few years ago, and she went with a high-end video card for gaming. Could the video card make a huge difference in the way that Flash is performing?

jason

Collapse -
It MIGHT be Imminent Messenger!
by Mark7890 / August 12, 2012 5:06 PM PDT

I had a similar problem, I used 'Currports' to check what's using my ports, found a messenger called Imminent, didn't remember installing it, so uninstalled it, when I did, it said it was downloaded as a part of the updated flash player, it's now running at normal speed!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.