Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Adobe flash player virus?

by KellisGee / October 12, 2010 8:59 AM PDT

I have encountered a problem when a window popped up requiring installation of Adobe flash player v.10. Stupidly I clicked on it and now have antivirus software blocking nearly all access to my computer. The only thing that I'm able to do is buy antiviral software to fix the problem. I know that if I buy it I am paying extortionists and am not at all convinced that it will fix the problem. I have tried to run system restore but that seems infected also. I have a Dell laptop running xp pro. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe flash player virus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe flash player virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are correct. Paying for rogue/scareware will not help.
by Donna Buenaventura / October 12, 2010 4:27 PM PDT

Try to remove the infection by rogue program/scareware:

Download these files:

If you can't download the above files using the infected PC, use another clean computer to download and save in USB/flash drive.
To use rkill or exehelper: Boot the PC in normal mode, run any format of rkill or exehelper.
It will display a blank screen which is the command window.
When if finished, do not reboot the computer but scan using antivirus program or open your browser to download any tools below:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner

EmsiSoft MalAware

If it will not help, boot to safe mode with networking then run a scan using the scanners after updating the program.

BTW, may I ask the name of the rogue/scareware that you have in your computer? I asks because some rogue programs require other or additional steps to be removed.

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by RAnveerj / July 15, 2012 3:33 AM PDT

Hello KellisGee,

I also have the same problem (McAfee firewall disabled, Windows Security essentials and Windows update disabled).

Could you solve the problem by the steps mentioned below?

Collapse -
McAfee or MSE first have to be removed...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Had the same problem

The original post is over 1½ years old. I doubt KellisGee is going to respond.

• I would strongly recommend you uninstall McAfee or Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm presuming McAfee does not offer just a firewall. But an entire suite. I'm also presuming when you say Windows Security Essentials you mean Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). If not, please let us know. Either way, having the two installed, could be the cause of (or contributing to) whatever problems you're having.

• If it's McAfee you're going to remove, it would be in your best interest to make use of their Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

• Try what was suggested to KellisGee, if you're still experiencing problems after removing McAfee or MSE.

It's important to note in the above instructions where it states "If you can't download the above files using the infected PC, use another clean computer to download and save in USB/flash drive." You will find more detailed instructions about the Rkill tool at the RKill Download Center. Also read, "RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program ".

• At this point, if you are still experiencing problems, kindly include as many details as possible in your reply. To include which operating system you're running. And.. the answer to Donna's last question.

Best of luck..

Collapse -
Didn't work
by RAnveerj / July 16, 2012 8:36 AM PDT

Hello Carol,
I tried all the steps told by you over the weekend. The malware removal tools came up with some stuff and deleted it. However it reappeared after rebooting. Could not find any working solution on the web.

So finally I decide to format C drive and reinstall. Working good now.

Thanks for the help though !!

However, i have an unrelated question. Should I use MSE or McAfee. Right now I have McAfee in my laptop. Will it help to have a malware removal tool also? If yes, should it be Malicious Software Removal Tool (Microsoft) or Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware or any other? Thanks again !!!

Collapse -
McAfee or MSE
by Carol~ Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work

You asked if you should use MSE or McAfee. It's going to have to be up to you. I can only give you my personal opinion. Given the choice between the two, I'd probably go with MSE.

You asked about using an additional anti-spyware tool. I don't know which version of McAfee you're using, but it wouldn't do any harm to install the free stand-alone version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware. The free versions don't run in real-time (in the background) and shouldn't conflict with McAfee.

In regard to the Malicious Software Removal Tool. Microsoft releases an updated version of the tool once a month on "Patch Tuesday", along with the other updates. You can run it again whenever you wish by going to "Run" and typing MRT in the open field. Then OK.

If you choose to keep McAfee and uninstall MSE, I would suggest making use of the Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool. The link for the McAfee removal tool is in the above post, if MSE is your choice.

Hope this helps..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.