Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Adobe Flash Player Update Message

by Louis39 / July 7, 2012 1:02 PM PDT

In the last couple of weeks I have been regularly getting a pop up that says:

"Adobe Flash Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Then there is the usual option of whether I wish to send this error report to Microsoft.

I've repaired Adobe reader a number of times under its help tab but the above pop up keeps appearing.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and what course of action I need to take? Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player Update Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player Update Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Adobe Flash
by dyerarch / July 8, 2012 7:09 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. Apparently Adobe does not like Firefox. If you find a fix, please post.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player
by Louis39 / July 8, 2012 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash

My default browser is IE 8 but I also have Firefox installed for over a year. Funny thing is that this message did not start popping until a couple of weeks ago.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash
by dyerarch / July 8, 2012 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash Player

Did it stop crashing on IE 8 or Firefox. I do not use IE.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player
by Louis39 / July 9, 2012 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash

There is no crashing, all that happens is that the pop up as described in my original post appears. I can be in the middle of anything whether it be checking e-mails or using a installed program and it just pops up. I quess I wasn't very clear with my reply of July 8. I have both IE 8 and Firefox installed and have had both since I got my current PC which was in 2010. IE 8 is my default browser. I do however sometimes use Firefox. The pop up just started appearing about 2 weeks ago.

Collapse -
Just to be clear
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash Player

is Flash crashing on both Firefox and IE?

We know that there are problems at the moment with Firefox v 13, and the latest version of Flash as described here; http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6620_102-565283/fyi-flash-player-update-fix-freezes-crashes-in-firefox/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

For Firefox the fix seemed to be to upgrade Firefox to 13.01, but I understand that the problem still persists for some users, but if you haven't upgraded to Firefox 13.01 yet, try that.

If you have and Flash still fails, I would use IE for now if that doesn't fail, or if it does, I would suggest downloading and installing Google's Chrome. Flash is installed differently in Chrome and there have been no reported problems there.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Adobe Flash error
by bstjoe / July 12, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Just to be clear

Just so you don't think it is a Firefox related issue. I have this problem on a machine that does not even have Firefox installed. So beware of thinking that's the fix.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash error workarounf
by bstjoe / July 12, 2012 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash error

I merged these from another site and the combonation seems to sork (so far).

So far this is what I've done.
1. Opening the Flash Player control panel in the Windows control panels
2. Selecting the Advanced tab
3. Clicking "Change Update Settings"
4. Choosing "Notify me to install updates"

and then in the 'storage' tab I opened 'Local storage settings by site' and removed individual websites that I didn't know.

I'll let you know if this workaround continues to work. Adobe has not published a fix (that I know of) yet.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player error message solved (I think...)
by ajbryson / July 22, 2012 1:41 AM PDT

I am so happy to have found this thread. I've been having the same Adobe Flash Player message pop up continually for 2-3 weeks and have "reported the error to Microsoft" about 50 times. I do not have Firefox and did not have Chrome. I use IE8. I had previously tried uninstalling, then reinstalling Adobe Flash Player but that didn't stop the error messages. Here's what I have done that seems to have solved the problem - at least on my computer.

1. Uninstalled Adobe Flash Player
2. Did a shutdown and restart
3. Re-installed Adobe Flash Player - accepted "Chrome" but told it to notify me when updates occur rather than doing it automatically.
4. Another shutdown and restart.

Almost 24 hours now and no further annoying messages woo-hoo! I should also mention that on the affected computer I have Windows XP. My laptop has Windows 7 and it never encountered the Flash Player error messages.

Hope this helps others,

Collapse -
Adobe Flash error
by dyerarch / July 12, 2012 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe Flash error

Thanks, That is exactly what I was thinking. If it affects IE then maybe they will get around to fixing it sooner than later.

Collapse -
Chrome
by ranjef360 / July 17, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

It's been popping up on my screen for about two weeks. I have Chrome.

Collapse -
You'll get that notice when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2012 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome

Flash may need to be uninstalled in order to avoid that update notice. I don't want to upset you by going over how Flash in Chrome differs.
Bob

Collapse -
Flash Player 11.3.300.265, 10.2...crashes
by lightninz / July 22, 2012 5:18 AM PDT

I have repeatedly changed flash players, with Firefox it does no good. I have been 3/4th's thru the crossword puzzles on different sites when it happens. It says it sends a report. I have Chrome also loaded and use it with the same results, although Chrome has it's Plugin downloaded with the browser. I have tried the older flash player plugins. All with same result. I am thinking that since I won't use IE that Microsoft has written some interference for it's competitors browsers, this is JUST conjecture. May be time to try out an Apple Mac. Adobe doesn't want any contact and may not work with Mozilla to fix their problems, this could also be true of the Chrome browser....Toshiba L755 Windows 7.. 64 bit IE unchecked, Google Chrome 20.0.1132.57 m, Fire Fox 14.0.1.

Collapse -
As it's just the crossword.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2012 5:54 AM PDT

You begin to wonder if the code in the flash script is busted.

But for now I'd like to read about your decision about Flash's Hardware Acceleration. I turn that off. What did you decide?
bob

Collapse -
Answer
Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountere
by js042264 / July 13, 2012 2:40 AM PDT

I do not have Chrome, Firefox or anything, any answers now?

Collapse -
I have to go with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2012 2:51 AM PDT

Given the clues so far I could only guess at the causes.

For many I've had to take Adobe's support document on how to remove Flash then install Chrome to sidestep having to charge the client hours of troubleshooting. A few pay and common causes are malware, the simple uninstall, install routine and some overbearing antivirus that is interfering.
Bob

Collapse -
Flash Player Update Message
by Louis39 / July 13, 2012 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with no.

I have run my anti-virus program, Avira and I run my malware program, Malawrebytes at least every second day and I am still getting the same error message. Its just annyoying more than anything else. Hopefully Adobe provides a fix if enough people are experiencing the same problem and complain. Thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback.

Collapse -
Doubtful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

I see folk are having issues but I continue to fix it with the usual causes and fixes.

For now on the ones I can't access and help we uninstall Flash using Adobe's document and use Chrome.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
solved for me!
by zoneamick / July 16, 2012 3:30 AM PDT

I solved that problem using task scheduler, one task is Adobe Flash Player Updater, ive set the right to everyone not it works! So, control panel, task scheduler, right click over Adobe Flash Player Updater, properties, security, add EVERYONE

Collapse -
Question About Solved
by Louis39 / July 16, 2012 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: solved for me!

When I right click on properties I do not see "security". The tabs I see at the top are "Task", "Schedule", and "Settings". I am using Windows XP.

Collapse -
solved
by zoneamick / July 17, 2012 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Question About Solved

simply delete this task it's for updating adobe flash player, the update can be done manually.

Collapse -
Answer
Flash Player Help / Installation problems
by KenHusveg / July 17, 2012 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
How to fix it
by nearone / August 13, 2012 12:35 AM PDT

1. Go to adobe.com and download the uninstaller
2. unintall adobe flash player from you computer
3. start installation of newest flash player for you system
4. (It will start downloading Chrome) "X" out of installation when the flash player is complete
5. it will ask of you want to stop installing all products, choose "yes"
6. choose finish and it will not install Chrome and the message goes away.

I cleaned "Google" out of my registry. I attempt to stop anything 'Google' from invading my machine.
I use startpage.com to search the registry. you can choose any search you want.
Google wants to know everything about you and I am not willing to share.
I use an anoymous proxy ahead of the internet search. I don't show my real IP to anyone. I move my DNS to London.
Chrome or google will not operate under circumstances where they can't see your computer. Won't stop the government, but it will stop "google"
I don't need their help with my lifestyle or preferences. My life is good without 'Google' or 'Yahoo' in my registry.
Change your search to something other than 'Google"
First time cleaning the registry, you will see how invasive it is. JUst Delete everything 'Google"' Your system will still perform without it.

Collapse -
I meant Search The Internet,
by nearone / August 13, 2012 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: How to fix it

you use regedit to search the registry.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.