Windows 7 forum

Adobe Flash Player disabled mysteriously on my laptop

by vhulley / February 27, 2013 7:19 PM PST

Yesterday my laptop (Windows 7) was fine, today when I try to play a video it says Adobe Flash Player has been disabled and I need to reinstall updates. I'm wary as I fell into the Adobe update trap last year and it cost me $250 to reformat my computer. What should I do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player disabled mysteriously on my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player disabled mysteriously on my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Please tell more.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 7:25 PM PST

- Does the disabling message tell why it is disabled?
- A too old version of flash, maybe? What version do you have?
- What's the "Adobe update trap"?

There are different flash players for Internet Explorer and Firefox and Chrome (where it's built in). So using another browser means that your current flash in your current browser stays unchanged. So it won't be updated. So no update trap?

Collapse -
I wish I wasn't a middle aged woman!
by vhulley / February 27, 2013 7:56 PM PST
In reply to: Please tell more.

Oh man! I wish I knew what to tell you. I don't even know what you mean by trap. Sad I use Google Chrome, have Norton 360 (incredibly annoying - but everything looks fine) When I click on a video a puzzle piece appears for an instant, then a message saying - you need adobe flash player to play this video then below that - Get the latest flash player is underlined

Collapse -
Re: trap
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 8:23 PM PST

You said " I fell into the Adobe update trap last year". I didn't know what you meant, so I asked you. And now you say you don't know what I mean by 'trap'. That doesn't make sense to me (a more than middle aged man).

I'd start with trying Internet Explorer (IE) to go to the same site. If that gives some error or message about flash visit from IE to install the latest version of flash. Please tell what happens. If it works it's a good enough work-around until your original issue is fixed.
And since Flash comes with Chrome, it's worth a try to uninstall it from Control Panel and reinstall it from the google site. But first try the IE route.

By the way, I just 'reformatted' the laptop of a friend this week, because Windows hang after logging in. It's not yet ready, because I can't restore their old mail to their email program before he enters his mail account again (and he said he lost the password ...). Anyway, I can be glad if I get a bottle of wine for all the work Sad .

Collapse -
I'm an old idiot
by vhulley / February 27, 2013 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: Re: trap

Yikes. I'm an idiot. Trap has become crystal clear! What I meant by that was that I clicked on a relentless adobe update icon on the lower right hand side of my screen and all hell broke lose. Computer done with in less than 30 minutes. That's the reason I'm terrified of downloading anything adobe (even after a glass of wine)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.