How To forum

Question

Adobe Flash Blocked By Browser

by ambassadorhawg / March 30, 2012 1:23 AM PDT

Whenever I get a new email notification and I go to my email page to open the email, I get a pop up window that says Flash 9.0 or higher is needed to open the emails and that my browser is blocking it. I have Flash 11.0 installed. I get this pop up window in any browser I use (mostly IE9 and Firefox).

I have no idea how to make fix this. Dell Inspiron 570 Desk Top, tons of RAM, tons of HD, tons of preocessor speed, Avant Security. Please help...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Blocked By Browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Blocked By Browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I don't see
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2012 7:03 AM PDT

why Flash would be involved in webmail.

What webmail account are you using? Have you tried going to your webmail login page on your own, (without waiting for an email notification), and logging in?

What is he exact wording of the error message?

Are you aware of scams? I don't know what it is that is telling you you have new emails, (my web mail doesn't do that), but I will always visit my web mail login page manually and then log in to my web mail and check mail that way.

Mark

Collapse -
I emptied....
by ambassadorhawg / March 30, 2012 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't see

I emptied my inbox, sent box, and trash. I'm thinking that a recently recieved email had some content that required Flash Player in order to be viewed??? The message/pop up is gone ...BUT...while surfing the interenet this evening, I opened a webpage and the same message appeared as though I needed Flash Player in order to view/play content on the webpage. I've already got a Flash Player Plug-in. What's going on here??? I scanned my system with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and no issues were found. My Avast security hasn't alerted me to anything, either.

Should I do a system disc scan for errors?

Collapse -
This is mysterious
by mchainmchain / March 30, 2012 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I emptied....

Without the detail of the message displayed, guessing is the result.

"emptied my inbox, sent box, and trash. I'm thinking that a recently
recieved email had some content that required Flash Player in order to
be viewed??? The message/pop up is gone ...BUT...while surfing the
interenet this evening, I opened a webpage and the same message appeared
as though I needed Flash Player in order to view/play content on the
webpage."

It is possible you opened a malware infected attachment in that email that is now using your browser to display this message, whatever it is, when you were getting your webmail. If so, I would visit other free reputable virus scanner sites such as http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ to make sure that there is indeed/or not malware on your system. If you can find the file responsible for this behavior, you can scan it for free with 40 + virus scanners here: https://www.virustotal.com/

Tell us more.

Collapse -
I had this same thing
by sm8000 / June 28, 2012 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: This is mysterious

Firefox loads flash differently, in a way that conflicts w/IE. SO I fixed it by first looking at which Flash exe files were running, and closed one of them. Do a Google search. That's how I got all the right answers I needed, w/the correct vernacular, folders, etc. And you will too. Good luck. S

Collapse -
In addition
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2012 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I emptied....

to mchainmchain's suggestions I would start over with Flash.

Go here; http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html to download the Flash Uninstaller. Save it to your Desktop then run it. This will uninstall Flash from your system.

Then reboot, (restart), the computer to allow the registry and system files to update correctly.

After it has rebooted properly, go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to reinstall Flash.

But BEWARE! That page may offer you a 3rd party add-on or utility. If you don't want it, remove the tick on that page before proceeding.

See if that solves the problems.

Mark

Collapse -
In reply to: I don't see

Here is the wording: Your browser is blocking Flash. You must have Flash 9.0 or higher installed and unblocked to run an openmail application. You can download and install the latest Flash Player here

I down loaded the updated flash player and I am still getting the message. I am going to try to uninstall and reinstall it. I use firefox but I also have explorer too and I get the same message in both.

Collapse -
That's the exact message!
by ambassadorhawg / April 2, 2012 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: message

I also unistalled Flash Player and then downloaded it again yet the message still appears on my email page eveytime there is a NEW messgae in my inbox, but only then. I am using AT&T Yahoo email. According to AT&T, there is an "outtage" in my area that has been going on for some time now. The sign in pages vary and don't work well, the whole system is slower than it use to be. I wonder if this issue is connected to the "outtage"???

Collapse -
Re: Message
by mchainmchain / April 2, 2012 6:13 AM PDT

Adobe Flash player is one of those programs one does not have to have on their systems.

Adobe flash can be problematic, as it always seems to have a new security vulnerability discovered every few weeks or so. While Adobe does do a credible job in patching these new vulnerabilities, it can take some time for a new patch to come out, sometimes even months. They have been doing a better job of updating more frequently as of late.

I would start by saving my bookmarks, favorites, etc., and then doing a complete uninstall of the browser that is displaying this behavior if I wanted to continue using adobe flash.

Reason? To return my browser to default settings, including no flash installed, when I reinstall it.

Collapse -
Re: flash blocked
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.