Computer Help forum

General discussion

Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Crashes Repeatedly

by flingwing / April 6, 2009 12:53 PM PDT

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 with a Core2-Duo computer running WinXP and 1GB of memory. The computer runs fine. However, Acrobat crashes repeatedly. It appears to happen for any reason: trying to copy highlighted text, clicking buttons on the toolbar, scrolling fast through a document, etc.

I have tried two "home remedies": (1) a 45-minute Repair Adobe Installation (under Help), and (2) checking to see if I had any "acr.dll" files in my Windows/Temp file. No acr files were found (my Win/Temp folder was completely empty). This last was from an "Excessive Acr.tmp File Creation" post elsewhere in this forum and the Internet.

The Adobe users forum <> has nothing specifically about my crashing problem but it does have a lot of other seemingly basic problems mentioned by some upset people. My Google searches indicated to me that Acrobat 9 is a problem-rid program.

What do you think is the current wisdom about Adobe Acrobat - can it be fixed or time to jump ship?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Crashes Repeatedly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Crashes Repeatedly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many Are Now Using Foxit Reader Instead
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 1:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
Same here
by sumajor / June 3, 2009 12:44 PM PDT

I am having the same problem and am extremely frustrated. I hope you get some answers. (apologize for piggy backing, but wanted to let you you are not alone!)

Collapse -
And Have You Tried Foxit Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 3, 2009 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

We generally have no problems with Adobe Reader 9.1.1 but if it won't run on your machine, try Foxit.. Many use it to read PDF files and prefer it's light weight.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by sumajor / June 4, 2009 12:29 PM PDT

I'm not using Reader per se---I am trying to take files and compile into a single pdf, plus scan some documents and add them to the same pdf. This is what is giving me grief. It crashes constantly.

I think this is more of an Acrobat Pro problem, not a Reader problem.

Thanks for the advice though!

Collapse -
Update on Acrobat for me . . .
by flingwing / June 4, 2009 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Acrobat

. . . I erased the program from my computer and reloaded it. Things got marginally better.

The problem with selecting graphics or text seems a little better. However, you still cannot outline a bunch of text and then copy that. In other words, the "Outline Paragraph" (text) function of olden days is gone.

I recently tried putting several PDF files together and it DID work - flawlessly, even. Surprise, surprise.

I don't understand how large organizations like Acrobat (Microsoft, can bring out new programs that are pieces of junk after years of selling great, if simple, stuff. I guess R&D no longer exists.

Collapse -
There are other editors you might try.
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2009 6:41 PM PDT

Foxitsoftware not only has a reader, but also an editor. The pdfdownload add-on for Firefox comes from Nitropdf and they have tools like you need also.

Maybe worth a free try?

Collapse -
Foxit . . .
by flingwing / June 4, 2009 8:03 PM PDT

is okay. I loaded the FoxIt reader on my laptop because the Acrobat "footprint" was so large.

FoxIt reader works fine and I'd bet the editor works well, too.

However, the deal is that people already have Adobe Acrobat now and would like it to work. Firefox browser is exactly the same: after years of turning out slick-running programs, they suddenly bring out a "lemon" and then don't repair it.

Why would companies do this to long-term users unless the companies wanted to go out of business?

Collapse -
Nobody obliges you ...
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2009 8:26 PM PDT

to use the latest greatest versions. If you still have the install CD of an older version that works for you use that.

That's not an answer to your questions about why companies tend to make things bigger and bigger, of course. Just a workaround to let you do your work.

Collapse -
True, but . . .
by flingwing / June 4, 2009 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Nobody obliges you ...

Sure, no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

But when you've been using programs that don't give you a difficult time with Windows 98SE for years, and finally upgrade to a fast computer with Win XP, it's sensible - if not almost mandatory - that you use the newer, made-for-XP/Vista programs, right?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, you're right.
by Kees Bakker / June 5, 2009 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: True, but . . .
Collapse -
Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Crash
by martinocontracting / May 22, 2012 11:01 PM PDT

did you ever get a fix to this problem? i only have it on my work computer, and that is where i need it to work the most. uninstalled and reinstalled so many times, i could do it in my sleep.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2012 2:38 AM PDT

Usually we find it's not Adobe but something else and it's never the same thing.

This is why we learn to try Foxit.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.