Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Administrator Access

by MickKennedy29 / February 2, 2005 10:20 AM PST

I use Windows XP SP2. We only use one login for Xp which is the admin but when I try to download and install programs such as Real Player I get an error message stating that I do not have Admin access. Anyone have a similar problem or a possible fix? I have tried to make a new login that is also an Admin but get the same error message using that. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Administrator Access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Administrator Access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Administration Access
by kbxtra / February 2, 2005 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Administrator Access

You mentioned that everyone logs on as Administrator (I assume you mean your family)but what's the name of the actual administrator is it you or someone else in your family. You might only have limited permission to change items on the computer. Go to control panel>administrative tools>computer management and click on the plus sign next to Local Users and Groups and the click on the folder Users to see what name is actually under the Administrator. Backup Operators and Power Users have limited access to what they can or cannot add/modify.

Collapse -
Administrator account
by Papa Echo / February 2, 2005 4:49 PM PST

That account may be named "Administrator", but that doesn't mean it is THE Administrator account. When XP was installed, how was your present "Administrator" account created ? Or are you using the 'default' one, i.e. you did not create any account ?

Collapse -
Admin Account
by MickKennedy29 / February 3, 2005 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Administrator account

There is only one login for XP on the computer and it is the Admin. I have never changed it since it was created when I bought the machine over a year ago. I even tried creating a new Admin account and using that to log in but have had the same problems. I didn't have any problems until I bought and installed the software for a HP all-in-one printer (1350 model). There was a installation error and I downloaded the fix for it from the HP site. The printer runs fine but the fix screwed my computer. I have tried uninstalling the software but it didn't help.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / February 3, 2005 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Admin Account

For your "learning purpose" and our understanding of what you mean, please check the thread at this hyperlink and report back your findings.

Collapse -
Admin
by MickKennedy29 / February 4, 2005 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Thank you for the link. It was full of good information, however, I don't see anything that describes my problem. To clarify, on setup the Admin account was created and we have been using that login ever since not creating any new logins since it is only my wife and I. I have never had trouble installing new programs before a week ago. I now get an error message stating that I do not have Admin privledges even though I am logged in as the Admin. Does that make it clearer? I can run all the existing programs without problems but I cannot install any new ones.

Collapse -
solution?
by coolzero / February 12, 2005 2:15 PM PST
In reply to: Admin

Did you find a solution? I am having the same problem. I am not able to install or remove any sw even if I am logged as an admin. The funny part is that as able to it just a couple week ago.

Collapse -
O.K. Some checks...
by Papa Echo / February 12, 2005 5:51 PM PST
In reply to: Admin
To clarify, on setup the Admin account was created and we have been using that login ever since not creating any new logins

An account was created ? The Main Admin account is built-in. It need not be created. Perhaps you created an account and named it 'Administrator'. That does not make it an 'Admin' account with administrator's privileges.

Checks:

? What version of XP ? Home or Pro ?

? Open up 'My Computer' - Under "Files Stored on This Computer", what are the names of the folders ?

? Go to Control Panel and open up 'User Accounts'. Under "or pick an account to change", what accounts are listed and with what descriptions ? (Admin, limited, etc.)

The above will help indicate what type of account your "Administrator Account" is. The Main Administrator account is hidden, and comes up in Safe Mode.
Collapse -
I have administrator rights problems also
by bkclark / March 11, 2005 11:39 PM PST

I also cannot install programs such as real player and
turbo tax and probably others. i get a message that says I do not have administrator rights. this started after one of two events occurred: the installation of my HP all-in-one printer (HP help had me do a regedit in an hp file after I downloaded a file from microsoft which they told me did not have to be removed after installation) OR after the installation of a router in my structured cable box. I run windows xp on both my laptop(wireless card) and my desktop. Can't get any assistance installing turbotax......every fix they give me does not work. Other big issue is that i get a blank screen when I try to do a system restore...guess this has to do with administrator rights also???
Have you solved your problem.....because I really need to solve mine.....I am desperate!
p.s. things seem to work fine on my daughters laptop

Collapse -
I have login proplems with WIN XP SP2
by bobbiev / February 13, 2007 4:27 AM PST

When I login to Win XP SP2 Home on my desktop computer, I get a screen which has two boxes:

One box states:
User: administrator
password:

The second box states:
Logon message
Unable to log you on because of an account restriction.
OK is in a box.

I click on OK and get a screen which shows "owner" in the center of the screen and there is also a box in the lower left hand corner which states "Turn off POM1". I click on "owner" and then get logged in.

I had attempted to set up a home network using my computer as POM1 and my laptop as POM2. I never coulod get it to work so I just use flash drives to move info from one computer to the other. I have a wired dsl on my desktop and a wireless dsl on my laptop. Before attempting to set up this network, I was able to turn on my computer, walk away for a while and have it login to my windows desktop without added key strokes.

I have the admin account with no password, guest login is off and the welcome screen is turned on.

I am at a loss as to how to turn on my computer, walk away for a while and have it login to my windows desktop without the added login click on OK and OWNER.

Could someone please tell me what I can do to correct this?

Thanks, Bobbie

Collapse -
That's correct operation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 4:30 AM PST
Collapse -
I have login proplems with WIN XP SP2
by bobbiev / February 13, 2007 5:36 AM PST

I went to the MS website and followed the instructions. Nothing is changed. I still have to login/click on OK at the account restriction page and then click on Owner to login.

I used to be able to get to my desktop without hitting a key, nothing seems to work.

Bobbie

Collapse -
That's still proper operation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 5:41 AM PST

I can't see how you could overcome that account restriction HARD CODED into XP Home.

-> If all you want to do is autologon as some other user then why not work on that? But that was not the issue you presented.

How would I deal with AUTOLOGIN? I'd use TWEAKUI.

Bob

Collapse -
autologon
by bobbiev / February 13, 2007 6:10 AM PST

I guess I did not see my problem as "autologon", but Tweak UI did the trick. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bobbie

Collapse -
Sort of the same problem
by rescuefire / March 18, 2008 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: autologon

I too went to the MS web site and followed their directions. Now I cannot get onto that computer at all. I get a box with the same things listed above Administrator is in the User box, then there is a password box (no password has ever been assigned) and the option buttons of "OK" or "Shutdown". I click ok and I get that message about restrictions and cannot do anything else. I'm starting to dislike MS more and more every day. This computer was just reformatted and I really really don't want to have to do that and all the updates again since this is a four year old computer and needed many updates. UGH please help me get past this screen.

It's Win XP Home with SP2 just installed as well as all other updates aside from IE and Outlook because this computer will not be hooked to the internet.

Collapse -
My secret weapon is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2008 11:41 AM PDT

NTPASSWD. I can't count how many times I've had to use this this year.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.