Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Additional memory installed not showing in system

by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 12:57 AM PST

I have a Gateway GM5442 with 2 GB memory originally installed and just upgraded it with two additional DDR2 PC2-4200 1 GB Samsung memory cards. The computer works as before, but the additional memory does not show in system. I use Windows 7. I already checked that the cards are quite in place and rebooted.

geramar31 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Additional memory installed not showing in system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Additional memory installed not showing in system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by geramar31

Collapse -
ECC Memory?
by Zouch / December 14, 2012 10:22 PM PST

I see from your description of the new Samsung memory cards that they are ECC. Are you sure this machine supports ECC memory? Some don't. I've seen problems in the past when people try to mix ECC and non-ECC memory, even on machines that support either - what type is the existing memory? In one of the earlier posts, I see that the Crucial specified memory is non-ECC. ECC is normally reserved for servers. Worth a check.

Z.

Collapse -
Additional memory installed not showing in settings
by geramar31 / December 15, 2012 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: ECC Memory?
Sad Well I did not notice that ... and I'm not an expert. However, you must be right because they were not recognized in the BIOS and would not function at all when I tested them by replacing the original sticks with the ones they sold me. I sent my order to the vendor (PC Progress) with the full information I had, so they sold me the wrong items. It is good that you mentioned this so that others may be alert in the future. Thank you for letting us know about the ECC and non-ECC Memory.
Collapse -
ECC...yup already mentioned that yesterday but it
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: ECC Memory?

appears the poster is only reading/acknowledging/responding to selected responses.

Had he just gone to Crucial to begin with ....he wouldn't have this problem.

Hoping he'll catch on soon.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
I see it's limited to 4GB at links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 1:06 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
In a nutshell...
by Willy / December 14, 2012 2:08 AM PST

If you have Win7 as a 32-bit OS, then you can use the memory installed. Now, understand the PC at bios level sees 4gb "physically" present, but the OS will only use upto 3.3-3.5gb of that ram, it may report there is 4gb present too. You can check under the control panel in device manage the display page for system info. Also, if you have build-in video port and using it may upgrade the video capabilities and use system ram(reduce) for video ram, which as i stated can vary. Also, the bios through the mtrbd. may ONLY support a max. amount of memory as well. The specs of that are well provided by Gateway if you review the manual or online support of same. Which is important to mention because even under Win7 64-bit OS will only allow 4Gb available or even boot properly even though the OS can support more. This is a h/w limitation via the bios.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: In a nutshell...

Thank you to Bob and Willy. I already checked before at Control Panel the system info. and it reports the same as before, that is 2.0 GB memory. The additional memory installed does not show at all! Forgive me but I'm far from an expert. How do I know if the Win7 installed is a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS. Will that make the difference for the OS recognizing the upgrade? In any case, I'm not exceeding the 4 GB limit, but just upgrading from the 2 GB originally installed to the 4 GB now.

Collapse -
Control Panel on a 32 bit OS may show 2.0GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 2:48 AM PST

You want to see what the BIOS reports. And yes to your question about reporting on 32 vs. 64 bit OSes.

There's also a setting in Windows 7 to limit memory. You may not be an expert but asking Google how to find out if your OS is 32 or 64 bit is pretty easy. The memory limit setting is not as easy so I'll give a link on that.

-> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66482-memory-set-maximum-amount-used-windows-7-a.html

It was funny to me and not funny to someone else that their PC was set to limit to less ram than installed. They didn't know why.
Bob

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 3:18 AM PST

Thank you again. Followed the instructions through msconfig Advance options. Maximum memory was already unchecked and then I checked to "Make all boot settings permanent" as instructed. Rebooted, and still shows 2.00 GB installed memory (RAM) in System info and 2037 Total Physical Memory in Task Manager.

How do I see what the BIOS reports as you suggest in your first line. I already know that I have a 64-bit OS.

Collapse -
Usually when the machine boots you see something to get ther
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:05 AM PST

If you supply a link to the machine's manual I'll see what page it's on.

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: In a nutshell...

OK, I checked again the system info. and found that I have a 64-bit OS.

Collapse -
Check the memory limit setting and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 2:51 AM PST

Of course the BIOS screens. If the BIOS doesn't see, Windows won't either.

Thought. Power down, unplug and plug in the RAM again. Also let's hope this is from crucial.com since some machines need special sticks. You can't go with "it plugs in so it's compatible."
Bob

Collapse -
Check the memory limit setting and
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 4:20 AM PST

Tried this too and didn't work either! Power down, unplug and plug the RAM again. Just the same!

Just in case, the RAM cards received description: GENERIC DDR2-4200 1gb SAMSUNG 533 MHZ 128X72 DDR2 240 ECC REG.

The ones previously installed in my Gateway GM5442 are described by Gateway Support specifications as 2048 MB DDR2, 533 MHz (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs) Expandable to 4 GB (4DDR2 DIMM slots).

Again, just in case: I installed the two RAM cards in the empty slots the same way the other two were installed. Is it possible that they should be installed inverted?!

Collapse -
ECC RAM ? Could be your problem. I'd return/exchange it
by VAPCMD / December 14, 2012 8:09 AM PST

immediately.

Here's what CRUCIAL shows for that system and they guarantee what they sell will work with your PC..

Memory:
DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 4

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Memory or DRAM is the "working" memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basis.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 5:48 AM PST

I believe the new RAM is the same voltage because the RAM cards received description: GENERIC DDR2-4200 1gb SAMSUNG 533 MHZ 128X72 DDR2 240 ECC REG.

The ones previously installed in my Gateway GM5442 are described by Gateway Support specifications as 2048 MB DDR2, 533 MHz (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs) Expandable to 4 GB (4DDR2 DIMM slots).

In addition, I entered the BIOS settings and found that:
Memory Channel A slot 0 1024 MB
Memory Channel A slot 1 Not installed
Memory Channel B slot 0 1024 MB
Memory Channel B slot 1 Not installed

The new RAM I installed in slots 1 A & B that were empty. I placed them the same way the other two were installed. Is it possible that I should have placed them inverted?

Collapse -
They should not plug in inverted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:57 AM PST

So this ram is either not plugged in or is incompatible. I hope you didn't get some generics or it's not plugged in.
Bob

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 7:35 AM PST

Well, thank you! The only explanation left is that for some reason they are incompatible. As a last resort I'll remove two of the sticks (one original and one new) and check the voltage (if I may find it). If I find this info in the sticks and the voltage is different, that'll be the answer. If it is the same voltage, I'll remove the two original RAM sticks and replace them with the two new ones. If it does not work, the answer would be that they are deffective. I'll let you know.

Collapse -
by geramar31 / December 14, 2012 8:07 AM PST

When I replaced the two original RAM sticks and replaced them with the two new ones in the same 0 slots in Channels A & B, and turned on the computer, it started wistling. Clearly they are either incompatible or deffective. I'll try to get a refund.

Thank you for all your help. I've learned a lot in the process!!

Collapse -
Answer
Best answer as chosen by user geramar31 ? Hmmm
by VAPCMD / December 15, 2012 6:31 AM PST

I posted the same info yesterday along with info to RAM that would work ... did you see it ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.