AVG forum

General discussion

Additional Malware protection

by Chuckhenry / August 12, 2012 12:58 AM PDT

Sorry if this is elementary to some of you. If I have AVG and keep it updated, would additional anti-malware protection be advantageous? (Such as Malware Bytes) I am getting ready to remove the Norton 360 that was preloaded on my new laptop and am a little cautious.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Additional Malware protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Additional Malware protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Additional Malware protection
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / August 12, 2012 8:16 PM PDT

Hi Chuckhenry,

Anti-malware software vendors generally do not recommend using multiple active security solution at a time, because they may conflict with each other. Please see this FAQ article.

On the other hand, different security solutions used different virus databases, so if a certain threat slips through one protection layer, it is likely the other will catch it. It is never recommended to have multiple resident protection services enabled though. If you would like to install additional security solution, I recommend disabling it's active components and use it only for on demand scanning (when you suspect the system to be infected).

Maybe AVG users will share their experience here. Some of them do use AVG and Malwarebytes together.

Collapse -
adtitional antimaleware
by jesbion / August 19, 2012 11:04 PM PDT

As long as it is antimaleware, rather than antivirus, and is, as the answer above noted, INACTIVE, it is a good precaution and advisable, IMHO. Keep it updated, and make sure it hasn't gone to a more active version, such as Ad-aware did a year or two ago, and it may save your computer if something gets past your antivirus. Usually whatever gets past your antivirus will disable it, and you may have the option of running another antimaleware, that has not been disabled. I usually keep at least one antimaleware updated and ready for use, and have saved computers with it after the main antivirus had been compromised....

Collapse -
by pgc3 / August 19, 2012 11:57 PM PDT

Many use Malwarebytes as an add on in conjunction with A/V packages, it is generally not a problem since Malwrebytes needs to be initiated to run/update. If you are uninstalling the Norton 360 and installing AVG, I trust you will be running the subscription version (paid) of AVG, if you run the free variant you will lose some security capabilities that were present with the 360, many will argue that free versions of A/V softwares are as good as the paid variations, this may be so if the user is very software literate and monitors his/her systems cautiously, if not there might be increased potential for intrusions down the road.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.