Computer Help forum

General discussion

Adding more RAM makes my computer run slower

by neurontx2000 / December 1, 2008 12:50 PM PST

I started off with 1 gb Corsair XMS (2 X 500 PC3200) in my Asus P4C800-E motherboard with 2.4P4 CPU. Everything was fine until I added an additional 2 GB (Corsair Value Ram 2 X 1GB PC3200) in the remaining 2 slots. Now I see a noticable difference in all my apps - very slow!
What could be the reason? I am running Windwos Vista 32-bit.
Could it be the way the RAM is ordered in the slots? The sequence is

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding more RAM makes my computer run slower
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding more RAM makes my computer run slower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shouldn't mix RAM types
by Steven Haninger / December 1, 2008 7:48 PM PST

Pull the original module and run with the two new ones and see what happens. You're RAM timings will always be those of the slowest module.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by darkdestiny7 / December 5, 2008 7:24 PM PST

About RAM. I have been using a 1 GB Kingston DDR2 RAM with a 512MB DDR2 RAM (comes with my laptop), but things seem to slow down as time goes by. I have been figuring out since, whether is it the processor problem, or is there not enough space (there's approximately 15% of hard drive space now). Glad to find this thread & figure out the real problem.

Anyway, to my question to Steven's suggestion. How similar must the 2 new RAM cards be? I am deciding whether to get another 1GB of RAM or perhaps a 2GB one. Hopefully someone can advice. Thank you.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 10:27 PM PST

More RAM does not mean 'faster' PC. After some point the payback diminishes. For example, XP's sweet spot is 1.0GB. Vista appears to be 2.0GB and we happily ran Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 on 512MB.

More does not mean faster.

Collapse -
by neurontx2000 / December 2, 2008 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Thank you for your help!
I removed the old modules and now it appears much faster. Also, i believe i had the order wrong. The colors of the slot are now matched to the same ram type.

Collapse -
More RAM - slower boot times on Vista
by keithhodgson / December 6, 2008 9:34 PM PST

One more point - more RAM will slow down Vista boot times due to the way Vista uses RAM (a more technical explaination is avaialble if you want).

Collapse -
Only a test will tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2008 11:00 PM PST

Given how 2 machines are never identical in all ways you need to benchmark each one. While Vista does change memory use and how it optimizes the boot process so that the first boot time is never repeated the sweet spots for Windows 98, XP and Vista appear to be 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 GB of RAM.

I wish there was a repeatable answer but this is Windows and no one installs the same things.

Collapse -
512OR 1gb
by ashok chowdary / December 8, 2008 8:46 PM PST

this is occurs due to using oftwo 512 and two 1gb rams
remove 512 rams and insert 1gb in channel 1 and channel 2.
then it works better

Collapse -
This have been left for so long... I missed the last reply
by darkdestiny7 / March 2, 2009 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: 512OR 1gb

Anyways, I'm sticking to the 1GB/2GB RAM combo. I won't be using it anyway after a few months. Thanks guys for the suggestions, & I think next time I'll stick to RAMs with the same size.

Anyways, I'm gonna find out if 1 2GB can do the job alone.

Collapse -
My PC is slow
by dgebo515 / January 30, 2012 6:07 AM PST

Hey can you help me me i just replaced my 512mb ram with a 1gb ram. Any clues as to why my pc is still really slow. And my Hard drive has about 77% free space.

Collapse -
Sure can help ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 30, 2012 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: My PC is slow

But it would be advisable for you to start your own thread rather than add to this 3 years after it was last posted to.

One reason your pc is "still really slow" is that DOS and Win 3X and Win 9x simply can't use that much RAM and ignores it. Now, if your OS is something other than that you might consider filling us in so we don't have to guess.

Opreating Systen (as well as version and Service Pack level), make and model as well as processor and applications used are helpful bits of information that help us provide more specific assistance.

Collapse -
by dgebo515 / January 31, 2012 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sure can help ...

yeah i know but i just didnt know but i will let you in on some info later i am currently on a different pc.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.