Mac Hardware forum

Question

Adding external HD/backup/storage

by WillyGo / July 16, 2012 3:43 AM PDT

I have a new Seagate Backup Plus 3TB ("For PC and Mac") that I want to connect to my MacBook (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 duo; OS10.6.8). I would like to use it for regular backup, photos (many lge RAW files), music (not a lge collection but growing); storage of pdf and wp files use for several ongoing research projects; and storage of movie projects (not many but could expand). I partitioned my last 160 GB HD for backup and storage but later found that I hadn't allowed enough space for the backup. I'd like to avoid that this time. I also have a pile of thumb drives with content that I would like to get organized.

I would appreciate suggestions regarding formatting and partitioning as well as about backup software. (In the past I used Backup w/ iDisk. Is Time Machine the best option?) It is highly unlikely that I would ever need to connect to a PC.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding external HD/backup/storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding external HD/backup/storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Time Machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 5:24 AM PDT

is a very good tool to have in your backup arsenal.
Unfortunately, any backup that is made to an external drive is also subject to the drive failing.

Consider also a program like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, to make a copy of the hard drive and consider putting those onto optical media and storing them at the bank.

That said, Time Machine has saved my butt on three different occasions when my iMac internal hard drive crashed.
Replace the drive, install OS X, and restore from a Time Machine backup. Like it never even happened!

Partitioning the drive does not give you any extra protection in case of failure, it's all the same disk, so you could forgo the partitioning.
Time Machine keeps its backups neatly inside a Folder called xxxbackup, where xxx is the name of your computer, so you can use the rest of the space for other things without worrying about running out of space.

P

Collapse -
Time Machine - New!
by WillyGo / July 16, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Time Machine

Thanks. This is helpful. I'll look more closely at Time Machine and the other programs you mention. Up to Now Backup has met my more modest needs.

I was considering partitioning not so much in connection with protecting my data but more for organizing and separating different types of files-photos, music, wp, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.