Dell forum

General discussion

Adding 2nd Hard Drive

by rayboyred / October 31, 2012 12:36 AM PDT

My Dell Inspiron 531 is running out of space on the hard drive. I'm using the Vista OS. I would like to add a second larger hard drive with Win 7 but keep my old Vista hard drive.

I'd like to make them independent of one another but running them in the same computer. I wouldn't transfer anything to the new hard drive but use it as I do now.

Is this possible to do? What are the complications involved.

I'd appreciate your input.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding 2nd Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding 2nd Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: second hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Adding 2nd Hard Drive

That's quite well possible.

The specs in our review http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-inspiron-531/4507-3118_7-32486097.html don't say if it has currently has a SATA or am IDE drive (although, with 500 GB in 2007, I suppose it's SATA), nor if there's any spare SATA or IDE slot available.

My advice: take the case with you to your favorite computer shop and let them have a look inside to see what's possible and what's best. They will be able to install it for you also, for a not too big amount of money.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Second hard Drive
by rayboyred / October 31, 2012 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: second hard drive

Kees................Thanks for your reply. I'm able to add a second hard drive to my unit. My only concern was running two different Operating Systems on the same computer. That, I am in the dark about. It would seem to me that running Vista on one hard drive and Win 7 on another drive, independent of the other, should be a possibility.

Again, thanks

Collapse -
Re: dual hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 6:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Second hard Drive

It's certainly possible to have different OS'es in different partitions (can even be on the same hard disk) and select which one to boot from when booting. They don't interfere. But you can only use one at a time.

But apart from experimenting, it isn't really practical, even if you share your Documents and Pictures and such between the OS'es. You need to install your programs twice, you need to do Windows Updates to both and a lot of settings and other things (like favorites and cookies) won't be shared.

Kees

Collapse -
re:second hard drive
by rayboyred / November 2, 2012 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dual hard drive

Thanks for pointing that out. By using a new hard drive independently, I was trying to avoid the task of having to transfer everything to the new drive. But after reading your post that may be my best option, to transfer everything to the new drive and use the old drive as a back-up. I assume transferring everything to the new drive is not a big deal. Can you expand on that?

rayboyred

Collapse -
Two hard drive bays
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / October 31, 2012 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Adding 2nd Hard Drive

Hi rayboyred,

The Inspiron 531 Mini-tower system has two hard drive bays and four SATA ports as shown in the image.
The maximum capacity of the hard drive tested with this computer is 1.5 TB.
You can also refer to this Owner's Manual for installing a new hard drive.

Observe the following safety precautions before performing any steps:
1. Turn off the system and disconnect any attached peripherals (printer, USB flash drives, SD card, keyboard, mouse, monitor and the power cord).
2. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the system.

Hope this helps.
Please revert for any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
adding 2nd hard drive.
by rayboyred / November 2, 2012 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Two hard drive bays

Thanks for your input on using two hard drives on my one computer. After mulling over my options, it seems a more reasonable approach is to use a single hard drive as my primary and the other as a back-up or storage hard drive.

rayboyred

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.