Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Add/Remove Programs-Nothing Loads

by bboutdoorsman / July 15, 2008 5:13 PM PDT

Hi everyone. I went into my control panel to access my add/remove programs to do a few things. To my surprise, I can't get past "Please wait while the list is being populated..."-And that's where it ends. I have tried to look into it a couple different ways and haven't gotten anywhere. I need to be able to get into add/remove programs so I can uninstall MS Office and reistall a new copy with valid license. Note: This could stem from a recent memory upgrade I did whereby once it was completed Microsoft won't recognize my MS Office XP Professional license and now I am unable to fully access these programs until I produce a "valid copy" which I have, but can't install until I remove the supposed "invalid copy"!!! Really need some tech savvy help. Thank you in advance for ANYTHING you can offer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add/Remove Programs-Nothing Loads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add/Remove Programs-Nothing Loads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi
by Lebieque / July 15, 2008 8:07 PM PDT

Have you tried a 3rd party uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/ (free) to uninstall MSOffice. Although, a dickey MSOffice should not have disabled your Windows components, but see what happens, you?re trying to get rid of Office anyway and it might just free Windows again.
(WARNING RevoUI allows you to clean-up the registry of leftovers, USE WITH CAUTION, especially with integrated programs)
L

Collapse -
Thanks
by bboutdoorsman / July 16, 2008 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi

Thanks for your feedback. I'll look into and see what results I am able to produce.

Collapse -
two methods
by easeus drw / July 15, 2008 8:15 PM PDT

You may try two methods:
1. Check whether you have administrator right.
2. Delete the files/folder in the directory manually, then install again.

Collapse -
Information I use when I see this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2008 8:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
Good source of information
by bboutdoorsman / July 16, 2008 3:12 PM PDT

Thanks for the link. I talked to a buddy of mine and he concluded that it is probably the same issue you noted. So I have to get into reg and see what I can find. Do you think auto fix software like Reg Cure might do the trick? Or do you have another recommended program? Thanks again.

Collapse -
I'd try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2008 10:20 PM PDT

The freebies first like (see google for each) MALWAREBYTES and SUPERANTISPYWARE. These can remove many of today's comment pests and fix some of the more common ailments.

Remember I am working as if this is your average PC and not that the owner was tinkering with services or such. Also, today's malware, spyware walks past Norton and many other antivirus. So we do have work to do (those titles) to see if we can find a pest and remove that.
Bob

Collapse -
Mission Accomplished
by bboutdoorsman / July 18, 2008 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd try...

Looks like you were spot on. I was doing some reading yesterday and found others with the same symptoms and issues that were similar to mine. Then I read your thread and downloaded both MALWAREBYTES and SUPERANTISPYWARE. Between both they found a combined 421 items. All were listed as cookie trackers only. Nothing higher than "low risk" was found. But, the good news is whatever was found FIXED my issue. I am now able to access control panel/add-remove programs without any problems. List of programs loads as requested. I thought I had good protection with my current programs, SPYBOT, AD-AWARE, AVG but apparently not! Thanks again for the recommend.

Collapse -
Add/Remove not populating in XP 64bit Professional,PC1yr old
by sandra226 / January 11, 2011 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: I'd try...

I was surprised by your recommendation but I see nothing but pluses in trying your solutions. Therefore, I will proceed as you say.
I used Add/Remove yesterday and while it populated immediately, I could not uninstall the software for a printer, even after multiple tries so clearly, there was something wrong. I hope this finds the problem.
I WAS trying to keep a couple of sites open because I was not confident that the info on them would not be lost but under the circumstances, I need to take the risk and get this to work. Thanks very much.
By the way, I DID check my dxdiag and it showed that all was working just fine. Thanks, Sandra

Collapse -
No response while loading
by Pebri39 / July 18, 2008 5:50 PM PDT

It takes a while for the list to be populated. There is no feedback to tell you that it's happening. The more programs you have, the longer it takes.

Try again - but this time be more patient and quietly wait.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.