Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Add Remove Programs list incomplete

by whippetone / July 25, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

First let me say that I have searched high and low trying to fix this problem and I still have not found a solution here or on the web! I have already tried:
?Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly Article ID : 266668?
on the Microsoft site and performed all the necessary steps but I still have the problem.
I know this problem was caused by a spyware infestation that I had and have now taken care of. I was able to get back the missing tabs on "Display Properties" but the list of my programs on my "Add/Remove" list is STILL a problem!
I run Windows XP Pro and my appwiz.cpl does run successfully, but the list remains incomplete. I do not have the "blank space" problem of some with a scroll bar on the side and the "Change/Remove" buttons are intact. I have checked and unchecked the "Show Updates" box but still the list is woefully incomplete.
I'm running CA Antivirus and Windows Defender. ANY help from ANYONE would be appreciated!!! I?m NOT a computer pro or anything approaching that but I now have a rudimentary knowledge of Registries and such from trying to fix this problem? Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add Remove Programs list incomplete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add Remove Programs list incomplete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 7:10 AM PDT

That list is not populated by what you have currently installed. It's nothing more than a "list" that was created over time and if some items are deleted then they are gone and gone.

Not a bug!!! Just a Windows annoyance.
Bob

Collapse -
That doesn't help at all!!
by whippetone / July 25, 2008 7:23 AM PDT

That is not the idea I've gotten from all the posts and solutions listed on the web for this problem??? Why would Microsoft address this issue at all if it isn't a valid issue in the first place?
ANYONE else with some real help???

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

This is an annoying thing. Thing of it like a list that you can delete items.

-> Once it's gone, microsoft did not provide a way to rebuild it automatically and no one else has written a fixit tool. So what to do?

Find the software title that's missing and slip it's CD in and hope it offers to remove or install the software. One by one the items get added.

You seem to think that this is not how it works. Tell me what part you don't understand. I can offer where in the registry the list is and more but I'd like to know why you think it's fixable since even in Microsoft latest this it still works the same way.
Bob

Collapse -
Lots of surfing on the web for an answer...
by whippetone / July 25, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

I've primarily gotten the idea that this is a "fixable" problem from the ?Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly Article ID : 266668? the addy is ttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266668.
Also lots and lots of other discussions on the web regarding how to fix the registries so that this list is restored.
Is it not a registry problem at all? Where on my computer can I find the files necessary to build the list in the first place to see if they are really gone? Also can I backup these files in case of some problem like this in the future?
I'd really like to have the whole list back but primarily I want to uninstall the latest version (11) of Windows Media Player, and I've gotten the impression this can't be done without the list being intact. I've tried using the "Add/Remove Windows Components" utility and removed the Media Player, then I restart the computer and use that utility or re-install Media Player but it only re-installs version 11 again.
This whole thing has been such a NIGHTMARE! And of course it happened on my brand new computer not my old one...
Do I need to re-install all my programs to have the list back? Will that help me with my Media Player problem? Sorry for so many questions but I'm really a novice in computers.
Also can I "backup" "Restore Points" on a USB drive? If I could have done a restore that would have fixed all these issues... The first thing I tried was that but Windows listed no prior "Restore points" so I imagine they were erased too???
Thanks of all your help, I'm sorry but I'm pulling my hair out at this point!!!

Collapse -
More about and a tool I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 9:20 AM PDT

Remember that Add/Remove didn't exist prior to 1995. And it's never been enforced or programmed in such a way that software must announce itself so that we could craft a tool to rebuild this registry tree.

I know you feel there must be a repair too but look at step 3 of the article you supplied. "Are they nuts?" to think that everyday users would go near this?

Again I know how this item works and it's brainless, dumb and people expected better. How do we get past this and fix your issue which half is understanding that Microsoft didn't build any tools to repopulate or check what's in that list?

"I know for sure some of these have not been installed since the spyware problem started..."

We have a tool to MANUALLY remove those items. I like ADD REMOVE PRO from http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Add-Remove+Pro+-+Uninstalls+and+Removes+entries+from+the+Add-Remove+Programs+list+of+Windows *Use the link you like best.

Bob

Collapse -
"Also can I "backup" "Restore Points" on a USB drive?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

So far? No. No one has made such a tool and Microsoft has the directory that holds them locked up tight.

Collapse -
also...
by whippetone / July 25, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

Also I still have a partial list of the programs, not all are missing??? It still lists:
Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR
Adobe Reader 9
CA Anti-Virus
Java(TM) 6 Update 5
Logitch SetPoint
Microsoft Office XP Proffessional with FrontPage
Microsoft Visual C++2..5 Redistributable
Spelling Dictionaries Support for Adobe Reader 8
WebFlds XP
Windows Defender
And I know for sure some of these have not been installed since the spyware problem started...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.