Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Add/remove doesn't migrate

by RevClyburn / December 31, 2012 8:59 PM PST

Hello,

and happy New years to everybody. I'm having a issue with Windows XP. Actually, I'm trying to repair my Pastor's laptop that has mad crazee issues. I've been working on the viruses, but I also need to work on this issue. I can't get ADD/REMOVE in control panel to work. It should normally migrate and show programs to remove. Not on this laptop, it's blank. I have ran several Microsoft Fixit programs but nothing seems to work. I have tried SFC scannow, but without a systems disk, that won't work. Outside of purchasing a disk, is there a copy of that online?

Anyway, anybody here have any ideas on how to fix this, as well as a search issue, can't run search either. I would love to give him his laptop back this week, had it long enough fixing the virus issues. A WORD TO THE WISE, PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR CHILDREN DOWNLOAD PROGRAMS/GAMES/TOOLBARS onto anything you plan to use.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add/remove doesn't migrate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add/remove doesn't migrate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what you say
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2013 12:01 AM PST

From what you say, I'm thinking it sounds like it'd be faster and easier to just rebuild the thing from scratch. Reinstall the OS and all associated software, maybe even implement some preventative and mitigating factors this time around.

Collapse -
this was suppose
by RevClyburn / January 1, 2013 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: From what you say

this was suppose to have been a re-install, but somewhere along the way, it got twisted. I didn't want to try and reinstall everything again because he needs his laptop. Some of his sermons and docs may still be on here. So I didn't want to just end delete them. So, I've been trying to do the least amount of damage possible.

As for preventive measures, he had Norton 360 on it, but who knows when that expired or was updated. Right now, I can't even get Malwarebytes to run, so there's a lot of issues here that needed to be resolved first. I think I got all of them, won't know until I can fix that side of things for sure. So, any help would be useful.

Collapse -
Sounds simple enough
by Jimmy Greystone / January 1, 2013 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: this was suppose

Sounds simple enough. Get a Linux distribution that can boot off a DVD or USB flash drive, use that to back up any lingering files, then blow everything away. No point beating your head against the wall in this case.

Collapse -
NO! Add/Remove does not have to have a single entry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 12:52 AM PST

Add/Remove reads a list of entries in the registry and if some pest or "registry cleaner" deleted that list, what you wrote can happen and has been seen.

There has never been a fixit program or tool made in over a decade to re-populate this list.

That's no bug. But it's rare to discuss how Windows works. Hope this saves you some pain.

Now if the Control Panel was blank, there was a fix for that.

I have yet to find a legal XP CD that is available online. And to make matters more fun, there must be a dozen versions of said CD. Use the wrong CD with SFC and you can end up with a non-booting OS.

Which brings up an ugly issue. If folk don't keep there OS or restore CDs they either didn't know how important it was or accept the consequences. Those that didn't know seem to be the most upset about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Add remove, help needed still
by RevClyburn / January 1, 2013 2:39 AM PST

Well said Profitt, but in a world of laptops, heck, most any computer that doesn't come with a cd, it's not hard to not "HAVE A Systems CD or restore disk". Used to be when you bought a computer, if it had Microsoft Word or office you got that disk or at the full office package, not something that you have to BUY in 90 days. As for a reg cleaner, don't know if one was used on this prior. But since I've had it, nothing like that has been used. As for the fixit, I was referring to the Microsoft Fixit's found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Anyway,

all I'm trying to do is fix this for my Pastor, and if I can't I can't. As for getting a copy of a disc or using the wrong disc and the side effects, ooohhhh well, it's already jacked, lol.

Collapse -
Those restore CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 2:51 AM PST

Often are made by the owner. But as you can imagine, more than half the owners don't make them. And of those that make them they tell you they lost them. This includes those machines that came with the CDs.

-> I was remiss in offering a workaround for uninstalling apps. There are a few ways.

1. Install the app again. Many apps will offer to re-install and cleanup.
2. Go get REVO UNINSTALLER. Often can uninstall things you can't otherwise.

My experience with MSFT's fixit is that it's good when it works but it's rare to see it fix the issue today with all the malware that's out there.

MSFT is a little distracted with Windows 8 and apparently is not putting much effort into OS repair tools. I know folk (Redmondites?) may disagree with me on that but MSFT has had more than enough time to create a "repair the OS and leave the user files intact" by now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.