Dell

General discussion

Add a SATA Hard Drive

by dick-clev / February 19, 2013 12:44 AM PST

I have a Dell Inspireon(sp) and want to add a SATA drive. I have installed the drive, but the computer does not "see" it. What to do?

**** Clevenger
reclev@sbcglobal.net

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Add a SATA Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Add a SATA Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the BIOS see it?
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2013 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Add a SATA Hard Drive

Get into BIOS setup and see if it shows there. If the BIOS doesn't see it, Windows won't either. The other thing is I have to ask if you've created a partition and formatted the drive. You have to do that before it will be assigned a drive letter.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Adding a SATA drilve
by dick-clev / February 19, 2013 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: Does the BIOS see it?

Your message was a help to me. I see the drive is listed on the BIOS, I just dont know how to format it and make it useful.

Thanks, **** C

Collapse -
Add a SATA drive
by dick-clev / February 19, 2013 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Does the BIOS see it?

The BIOS sees the drive but as you said it dosen't have a number/letter and I don't know how to address lit.
Thanks for your input!!

Collapse -
SATA hard drive
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 19, 2013 4:58 AM PST

Hi Dick Clevenger,

Please share the system model & the operating system.
Earlier, were you using an IDE hard drive?

Reboot PC and press F2 key repeatedly at Dell logo. A BIOS screen will appear. Check if the hard drive is detected.
You can also load defaults in BIOS depending upon the BIOS version utility.

Please share the system configuration details; I will help you further.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Add SATA hard drive
by dick-clev / February 19, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: SATA hard drive

Thanks for your response. I have an Inspiron with Windows 7. I do not use EIDE,only SATA.
I bought the H.D. for another computer but that computer can only use a SATA 2 drive and this one is a SATA 3. I am just trying to use the drive as a backup drive.
I have checked the BIOS and it sees the new drive but hasen't given it a name or an address. How do I go about formatting the drive since it doesn't have an address

reclev@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
Thanks for the response.
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 20, 2013 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Add SATA hard drive
Collapse -
add SATA drive
by dick-clev / February 20, 2013 10:42 AM PST

I copied your link. I had to go directly from "control panel" to find "disk management" which got me to a place where I saw both drilves listed, but there it ended. I could find no way of finding "Change drive lertters and paths" I did manage to get a "Recovery" section in my "C" drive that I can't erase.
I supposely have Windows 7, but the instructions in the file you addressed don't coorespond with my selections. Are those instructins for Windows 8? I can get so far and then I hit something I can't do.
Thanks for your assestance and keep trying!!!!

**** Clevenger
reclev@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
Add a SATA drlive
by dick-clev / February 21, 2013 11:19 PM PST

Manpreet, I responded to your last reply and still don't have a "numbered/lettered" drive that I can use. Is there nothing else you can give me to help me get this SATA drive operational? I can see it but I cannot use it. Thanks for all the assistance you have given, I hope and pray you have some more help for me.

**** C

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 22, 2013 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Add a SATA drlive

Sorry for the delayed response.
Could you please post a screenshot of Disk Management using snipping tool or paint. You can upload the screenshot on Flickr or Imageshack.

I will help you further.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Add SATA drive
by dick-clev / February 22, 2013 2:02 AM PST

I'm sorry I don't have Twitter installed. Is there another way to send a "pictrue". I now have a photo of the screen. Would that help?

**** C

Collapse -
Add a SATA H.D
by dick-clev / February 22, 2013 2:23 AM PST

Will I not need your e-mail address to send a "snip" to you? If so please let me know what I can to to send it to you. I don't think I can put the "snip" in my "reply">

Collapse -
You can use Flickr
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 22, 2013 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Add a SATA H.D

Save the picture to the desktop. Go to flickr.com and log in with a Gmail or Yahoo account. Once logged in, upload the picture from the desktop.

Once uploaded, click the picture and select the resolution that you want for the picture; right-click the picture and select 'Copy Image Url'. Paste the link here.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Add SATA Drive
by dick-clev / February 22, 2013 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: You can use Flickr

I've got the picture in my "pictures" folder under the name "Capture" Thats the only URL I have for it, is that enough? I will sent that much now and hope you get what you want.

pictures/capture

Collapse -
Format the drive
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 22, 2013 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: Add SATA Drive

When you right-click the backup drive in Disk Management, do you see 'Format' option? If so, please format the backup drive which will lead to data loss and check if there is a drive letter assigned to it.
These pictures are uploaded on a personal folder on your computer; I can't access them. However, follow the steps in the video to upload photos on Flickr: http://youtu.be/_wGNHDntr0g.

Please try to format the drive and share the status.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Add SATA H.D.
by dick-clev / February 22, 2013 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Format the drive

Hey Manpreet, I now have "J" H.D. that my computer sees. I don't know what I did right, but the computer now sees the H.D. and I am formating it as I write.
You have taught me many things through our discussions and I thank you for that and add that I thank GOD for your "hanging" with me through my trials. Again I thank you and ask GOD to bless you and yours for helping me.

**** Clevenger
reclev@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
Add a SATA Hard Drive
by dick-clev / February 22, 2013 11:45 AM PST

Does this computer, running Windows 8, not show any indication of Formatting a drive? I see no indication of anything happening...no moving green line, no nothing, is that right? I hope it is formating the new drive. It should take some time but I would like to know it is working...

**** C

Collapse -
Add a SATA drive
by dick-clev / February 25, 2013 2:03 AM PST

I feel the problem is "solved", now how I remove if from the last of problems?
Thanks again for your assistance, we got it done....

**** C.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response
by Manpreet_C Dell staff / February 25, 2013 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Add a SATA drive

I am glad that the drive has been assigned a letter. Did the formatting finish?
What other issues are you facing?

Please share the model number of the Inspiron laptop.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

Collapse -
Add a SATA drive
by dick-clev / February 26, 2013 2:23 AM PST

Msnpreet, I'm not sure the drive finished its format. It went to "format" and in less than a minute said "format finished", I think it should take longer than that to finish a "format" since ii is a 500G drive, am I right? Maybe is should tell the computer how big the drive is.

Collapse -
A quick format takes a few seconds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 2:31 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.