Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

AdBlock Plus won't install and I'm not sure what to do

by haburson / December 14, 2012 2:29 PM PST

I eventually got tired of dealing with all the extra ads on the internet and went to find AdBlock Plus. When I went to install it, nothing happened. Installed from Chrome's Appstore and it was stuck at "checking." My bf tried to help me find the folder in C\: where it would be installed, and we did manage to find it and manually extract the .rar folder into there, but as soon as a new browser was opened, that file would erase itself. We've tried everything we know, and even asked a few of our more computer savvy friends, but no dice. We don't know what to do, or why it wouldn't be installing. I did disable the security extensions, as well. Still nothing. Does anyone have another idea or another way to approach this?

haburson has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AdBlock Plus won't install and I'm not sure what to do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AdBlock Plus won't install and I'm not sure what to do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Adblock Plus Problems
by Jragon7 / December 27, 2012 5:40 PM PST

Dear Haburson,

I'm having a similar problem, I was wondering if you can clarify what you did to solve the problem. Right now the adblock chrome crx file is just saving on my desktop, and I'm trying to run it through Chrome but its not working. I know you mentioned redirecting the download to a specific area but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by haburson

Collapse -
I think that happened to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:23 AM PST

So I uninstalled Chrome, installed Chrome from a fresh download and it worked. I don't have any other advice other than FireFox has this too.
Bob

Collapse -
SOLVED!
by haburson / December 15, 2012 6:54 AM PST

We did attempt to reinstall Chrome and that didn't work, but we did eventually figure it out. If anyone else is reading this and looking for answers, then we have another one for you.

We had to redefine where the file was downloading to. So, in settings, just point out to Chrome where exactly your download folder is.

This solved the problem immediately. It wasn't hard, either. It was just a matter of elimination.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.