Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Adaware,Spybot and the false sense of security

by LarryD / August 7, 2004 7:41 PM PDT

This thread http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=32253&messageID=370429 discusses a user who found BonzBuddy (BB) with a Pest Patrol (PP) scan.

For the record, I use hosts file, Spywareguard, Spyware Blaster, CWSredder, Firefox browser, Adaware, Spybot (the immunize feature always checked) IE-Spyad (although I rarely use IE), Spyware Block List file, SpyCatcher, AVG, and The Cleaner.

Despite 100% clean results (for months) from all the scanners listed here, a free online scan with PP revealed BB on my system. I paid for and now use PP regularly and it still (evey now and then) finds BB despite 100% clean results from the others.

This brings up an interesting question:

*What good is having scanners that don't scan for nor find 'everything'?

*Is BB so hard to find that none of the others can?

*How can you feel secure if your scanner isn't looking for nor finding all (yeah, I know, all is a big word)spyware?

*If PP finds BB, are there other (probably pay only) scanners that might find other spyware that PP (nor the others) wont?

*Where does it end?

Thanks!

Signed,

Lost faith in the free scanners

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adaware,Spybot and the false sense of security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adaware,Spybot and the false sense of security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It Won't!
by Bugbatter / August 9, 2004 3:32 AM PDT

It will never end. The malware creators are always one step ahead of us. I see no proof that free scanners consistently offer less. It takes a combination of weapons to fight the war.

Collapse -
so I guess it is "buyer beware" or ...
by LarryD / August 9, 2004 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: It Won't!

in the case of free programs "you get what you pay for"

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: so I guess it is "buyer beware" or ...
by Mark5019 / August 9, 2004 5:36 AM PDT

wrong larry your stating your paid virus programs better than my free avg well in my shop i get comps with paid norton all updated with viri that i use avg to clean.
it depends on what and who uses and how its used

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Exactly... and using one band aid no longer does it. :(
by glenn30 / August 9, 2004 6:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Exactly... and using one band aid no longer does it
by msi4mfr / August 12, 2004 5:41 PM PDT

From the professional "bug-hunter's" viewpoint, the bigger and more nets you use, the more bugs you catch. I've used the ones mentioned and add Trend, Sophos & Webroot's products into the mix and carry on minidisks, cd & USB. My clients thank me for the work when the system is healthy again. The drawbacks are the various products don't always co-exist nicely with each other. And, we'll always be one step behind bug writers.

Collapse -
Re: It Won't!
by Connected / August 13, 2004 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: It Won't!

what you guys don't know is that the makers of antivirus are also the makers of virus and spywares... I say that (can't proof anything though) because i've been a beta tester for some major AV companies and in most of them i found virus (if not virus, at least some kind of spyware) built in and hibernating to be ready to attack in a determinate date so the company would anounce and find a cure for it. actually, i don't trust any of those famous companies... i use, as my defense, Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Adaware, PC CILIN antivirus (never trust on it though), ZA PRO (latest version) and free Avast Antivirus (a very good one and i recomend it). you guys won't believe what i've found in some of them. by the way, i suspect that microsoft also includes some kind of spyware in their software (they'll always deny it tough). I've been fighting with one of them for a little while and finally, i won the battle (thank God). the only thing i can assure is: we're never safe. so, watch out.

Collapse -
Found a false positive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2004 3:44 AM PDT

PP found a setup file from a visual basic app I wrote and calls it a keylogger. I extracted it off the Microsoft Visual Studio on a clean machine and it called it "Spyster".

False positives are possible, so I wonder if this is just another one?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Isn't a false positive better than a miss?
by LarryD / August 9, 2004 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
"Isn't a false positive better than a miss?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2004 4:04 AM PDT

No. It gets people riled up about nothing. I'm looking at another false positive, but need time to call it. I'll need to delete the entries and find what creates them. My bet is Spybot's immunize created the items that PP is flagging.

Maybe some British tapwater is needed?

Bob

Collapse -
Bonz Buddy
by LarryD / August 9, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

PP flagged 17 unstances of BonzBuddy, don't know if it was a false positive, don't care, I had PP delete it. Should I care?

Collapse -
I know where..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2004 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Bonz Buddy

You can download Bonzi Buddy if you want it.

Just kidding. But what I'm seeing is one tool drops some items in to thwart install of something, and another tool calls them "HITS!"

Go ahead and toast the entries, but some time is needed to find where they come from.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Bonz Buddy
by Donna Buenaventura / August 9, 2004 4:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Testy / August 9, 2004 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Bonz Buddy

My friend uses Norton and pays for updates. He battles viruses constantly. He was on-line and tried on of the free online virus scanners. It found 14 trojuns on his computer. He was amazed because he had just updated his Norton just days before. I guess you don't always get what you pay for. Another friend of mine had some virus he couldn't get rid of so he took his tower into some computer shop and paid 80 dollars to be rid of the virus. When he got it home the virus was still there. I sent him the link to Avert Stinger,(free) It fixed it. (He also uses Norton)

Collapse -
by michhala / August 18, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

Larry -- I just posted this on
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=32253&messageID=370429&tag=cnr

Re: RE: BonzBuddy on my system

I just dunno -- Since Pest Patrol online scan still shows BonziBuddy on my system (17) after the evaluation version found and removed (7), I decided to spotcheck the registry. Files that were supposed to have been removed by Pest Patrol are still there.

I got to a live tech person at SunBelt, the company promoting Pest Patrol in conjunction with Dell. Not much help there other than being told although the evaluation version usually does a good job, it is not as good as the full version.

Here I am ready to buy Pest Patrol and already have a reason to lose faith in the product.

Miki

Posted by: michhala Posted on: 08/18/2004 12:46 PM

Collapse -
Re: Adaware,Spybot and the false sense of security
by gerry19 / August 12, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

I am worried that since I installed SpywareBlaster which is an Anti Spyware program, Adaware has not found 1 single Adware item in 6 months....anyone have this scenario, I run Pest Patrol it sometimes finds a few and SpySweeper that sometimes ffinds a Adaware Cookie....And do not be fooled by some Advertised Spy remover programs out there as some have up to 23 spy programs they put in your registry and hard disk.
Regards

Gerry

Collapse -
by LarryD / August 12, 2004 10:02 PM PDT

<< I am worried that since I installed SpywareBlaster which is an Anti Spyware program>>

If I am not mistaked, Spyware Blaster puts stuff into your registry that PREVENTS spyware from being instaled. AdAware nor Spybot will recognize Spyware Blaster (I guess it shouldn't), and I think Spyware Blaster is doing a good job. I don't think this is something you should worry about, maybe celibrate ot and appreciate it, but not worry about it.

IMHO

Collapse -
by aquariuspark / August 12, 2004 10:51 PM PDT

Hi,
I used AdAware. I downloaded other programs to check. They found stuff AdAware didn't but you had to pay for them to fix it. But they also added their own little bugs. That was not nice!!!
I have changed from AdAware 6 to AdAware SE Personal which picks up a lot more things including the bonzi buddi which the other program didn't.

Collapse -
by lesley / August 13, 2004 9:25 AM PDT

I use Spybot, Adaware, Spyware Blaster and Spywareguard (plus anti-virus and firewall). Haven't gotten updated Adaware yet, waiting to see if any bugs. Before I installed Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard, Adaware and Spybot used to pick up many items. Now I only get tracking type cookies picked up. I think that Blaster and "Guard" are stopping mega items being picked up.

Collapse -
spyware blaster and adaware
by kezd / January 31, 2005 7:59 PM PST

these two work in conjunction together. spyware blaster stops any spyware from accessing the computer and adaware stops anything from getting on. try getting spybot search and destroy it works better than spyblaster

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What made you reply to a thread from last Summer?
by Lenny K / February 1, 2005 1:54 AM PST
Collapse -
SPYWARE BLASTER * ADAWARE
by PAISANO5 / July 15, 2005 2:13 AM PDT

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS PLEASE EXPLAIN FURTHER THE 2 PHRASES SAY THE SAME THING TO ME

<spyware blaster stops any spyware from accessing the computer and adaware stops anything from getting on>>

YOU SAY:
try getting spybot search and destroy it works better than spyblaster

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT SPYBOT PREVENTED SPYWARE FROM GETTING ON THE PC LIKE SPYWARE BLASTER I THOUGHT IT ONLY SCANNED

COULD SOME ONE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME?

THANKS

LOU

Collapse -
Lou, you are responding to a thread that is a year old
by roddy32 / July 15, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

so many things that you are reading in this thread may have changed. Spybot has a resident SDHelper for Internet Explorer. If you would like to know more about it, it would be easier if you started your own thread so the posts don't get lost in this old one. SpywareBlaster AND Spybot S&D have the ability to block SOME things. You should use them BOTH. Please take your caps key off too, it makes if very difficult to read. Thanks

Collapse -
caps are yelling
by dyspyzthespyz / July 15, 2005 3:08 AM PDT

please if you want help, don't try to seem so pushy or rude, although you are not aware of it, start a new thread on your questions, it is an interesting point you bring up, politely, i will assist you in your annoyances with descriptions there of. HappyHappyHappy

Collapse -
And you should have...
by William Randall / July 15, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: caps are yelling

replied DIRECTLY to PAISANO5's post and not to Roddy32's post.

Collapse -
crap
by dyspyzthespyz / July 15, 2005 3:54 AM PDT

dang roddy, i did it again....sorry 'bout that again!!! LOL Grin

Collapse -
by Rocker452 / August 13, 2004 10:05 AM PDT

I myself use a combination of tools, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, System Mechanic, Sygate firewall, and EZ Antivirus. This combination seems to work well for me however you need to keep them updated to really be afective. I use to get a lot of hits when i did a scan with Spybot but since I"ve installed Spyware Blaster it has dropped a lot. The trick I've found to work the best though is avoiding the downloads that put the stuff on in the first place. When you download stuff ( especially screensavers,themes ,and programs) read the lic. agreements and watch the install for added programs asking to be installed ,you can usually uncheck the box to not install them but not always.
After awhile you get to where you can recognize things like this.

David

Collapse -
by Swampgal / August 15, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

Paid for McAfee...problems!!! Cost me to have techs remove Sasser plus 10 others. 81 files infected. 3 programs installed last year I can't locate with Search, not in All Programs... Can't reinstall (all say are installed) Can't find them to uninstall. Trying Norton. . "Paid For" seems to work as well as "Free"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.