Mac OS

General discussion

Adaware for Mac?

by gilbertwhite1 / July 13, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

Reading up on Mac and saw some newgroups where there are rumblings that "some" worms and viruses may be directed to OS X?....any substance to these rumors?
I so, it must be negligable compared to threats to PC's?....also a neophile on OS X and wondering what, if anything is needed in the way of firewalls,anti-virus and spyware programs....yuk more bloatware!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adaware for Mac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adaware for Mac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's like "firewall for Linux."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2006 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Adaware for Mac?

The perils and problems of the Windows PC seems to be flowing out to other platforms that don't have this issue.

Imagine my surprise at someone telling me my linux box needed a firewall. They seemed to not have any grasp about how /etc/services and the inet superdemon worked so I had to, as nicely as possible ask them to describe what this firewall would do for me.

Bob

Collapse -
Adware
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 13, 2006 8:37 AM PDT

Was this you or your Dad looking at the newsgroups.

Currently there are NO viruses in the wild for OS X. That's a zero with a capital Z. There are some "Proof of Concept" bits but nothing that can be officially classified as a virus.

Adware, spyware, malware and the other junk is also non existent.

Firewall is built into the OS, use it if you feel better and AV is available and will protect you against sending your less fortunate Windows using friends, a virus. Does nothing for the Mac though.

Have you not see the Apple commercials on television or at the Apple site?

P

Collapse -
Ah, Peter? don't look now, but...
by lampietheclown / July 18, 2006 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Adware

...there's something gaining on you.

As of yesterday, the malware/spyware thing is not quite true, and it's on my Ti-1G.

Safari has been surfing on it's own. I'll have a page open, and without any input, the page will change to something totally different. The first 4-5 times it went to Wirelessadvisor.com and now it seems to have a thing for Alldata vehical owners channel.
Also,
Little Snitch says "curl" want's to connect to am3.am.net on port 80 every two hours.

At the same time, (and it may or may not be related)
My G-3 has a peaked cpu meter, with no applications running. I tried to eject a USB disk and the finder said it was busy, to quit Applications, and try again.
Again, nothing but the Finder (10.4.7 - 384m SDRAM) running.
Activity Monitor showed mds (owned by root) to be sucking up the cpu, but no disk activity from the USB disk. Local searches and help files have turned up nothing on mds yet, but I've just gotten started.

I'll clean out the cookies on Safari and see if it straightens up, then find curl, mds, and a3m.am.net, for some info, then I'll start a thread.

aaAAHH-CHOOoo

Lampie

Collapse -
Hmmmm.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

Time for a revision and search

Thanks for the info

P

Collapse -
cURL
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

This from Wikipedia:
cURL is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, TFTP, Telnet, DICT, FILE and LDAP. cURL supports HTTPS certificates, HTTP POST, HTTP PUT, FTP uploading, Kerberos, HTTP form based upload, proxies, cookies, user+password authentication (Basic, Digest, NTLM and Negotiate for HTTP and kerberos4 for FTP), file transfer resume, http proxy tunneling and many other features. cURL is open source/free software distributed under MIT License.

I cannot find any other reference to Adware/Spyware that hits OS X

P

Collapse -
Mysterys Solved Here, Going out of Business Sale!
by lampietheclown / July 18, 2006 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: cURL

Not so much Spyware as I was led to believe.

The Safari ghost surfing was caused by my Kensington Expert Mouse Pro Wireless Trackball having to long a name! Just kidding, it was low batteries causing ghost button presses which launched urls.

On the G3, mds is the scanner for Spotlight, working extra hard to scan a 60 Gig HD through a USB 1 port on the iMac.

That leaves curl. Still a Mystery, so I trashed the Little Snitch rule and I'm waiting to observe more closely.
Any idea which log will have the best view of terminal actions and the commands that control them?? I can never remember which one does what.

More soon, I hope.

Scooby The Clown

Collapse -
Check it with MacScan
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

Free 30 day trial

P

Collapse -
trojan
by russ666 / July 13, 2006 11:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Additionally
by russ666 / July 15, 2006 11:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Possible confusion
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 15, 2006 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Additionally

Adware, that horrible stuff that causes pop ups, pop unders, talking commercials and cookies that phone home and other such nasty stuff,

Adaware, a program for Windows, that is supposed to remove all that rubbish

P

Collapse -
Threats to Mac OS X
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
All patched and
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 18, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Threats to Mac OS X

one is only a proof of concept.
Incidentally, the POC was built after the flaw, and the code to exploit it, was released and after the flaw was patched.

Still looking for info on the Lampie problem

P

Collapse -
patched ? ?
by russ666 / July 19, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: All patched and

For the less informed and gifted among us, could you go over the exact steps needed to be taken on an iMac G3 running OS X 10.3.9 that will verify and ensure that all the latest security patches are current and in play. And also, does this need to be done at the Admin. level or can User do this too ? The apple security update site speaks in gobbeldeegeek and only serves to confuse more thoroughly than before.

G H

(It should be noted here that the letters : G H are short for russ but also stand in for Glass Hoppah. Typing out Glass Hoppah (an IN joke comprehensible mostly only to Peter and myself) was becoming tiresome. Also tiresome are some of the misguided comments about my posts and sign offs from a certain poster who sometimes seeks to ridicule and divert attention to himself rather than to genuinely try to help.

Collapse -
Software Updates
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 19, 2006 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: patched ? ?

Under the Apple menu, top Left of the screen, there are a number of options.
One is marked, Software Updates (or similar)
Click it and the program will contact Apple and see if there are any updates to the software, Apple software, that you have installed. It will also check for any Security Updates relevant to your OS.

Install all the software updates and the Security Patches and you will be up to speed. Obviously if you do not have Airport/iPod/Bluetooth/etc. then you do no need to download those. However, as all Macs come with the capability to do all the above, and the software is already installed, it will not hurt to update it.
Each and every update and Security patch will display what it is for and what it does if you click in the line of its title. There will also be a warning in some cases.
QuickTime updates will break the Pro status of the previous version of QT. (i.e. If you have QT5.x.x PRO and you download QT6.7, you will loose the PRO status However, if you have QT 6.x.x PRO and download QT6.7 then the PRO status will remain) This is clearly indicated in the warning.

There is a way to see what Security Updates you have installed on your machine but I'll have to look that one up. Only got XP at work

P

Collapse -
Thank You for the links
by russ666 / July 19, 2006 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Threats to Mac OS X

Thank You for the links.

Collapse -
Indeed Mac's under attack!
by bellawood / June 28, 2007 12:51 AM PDT

I think thats true, I have both Mac and PC, and recently I found a trojan or worm associated with temp1.exe, temp2.exe, xcopy.exe and/or copy.exe. Not aware, I transfered some data from the pc to mi Mac, and it started having the same sintoms than the PC, dont let large download files, interruption of net conection etc. Is there any spyware cleaner for Mac???'
Tnks

Collapse -
The only time this happened to me was when...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

I was running Windows on my Mac. The SAME tools are used to cure that Windows.

Bob

Collapse -
FYI... exe. files don't run in mac os X environment
by grimgraphix / June 28, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

However, that does not mean you can't pass them on to another windows user.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.