Laptops

Alert

Adaptor plugged in but battery isnt charging up

by suli17 / October 9, 2011 9:27 AM PDT

A few weeks ago, I got a message on the battery icon saying 'plugged in, not charging' and after searching for a few solutions to resolve this issue, I attempted the Device Manager 'uninstall' battery and then search for the battery. But after I tried that, the message went away and now, whenever my adaptor is plugged in, it doesnt show up on the status or on the laptop and the battery status stays the same (60%), but when I take the charger out, the battery percentage starts decreasing. Also, on the battery status a few weeks ago, it showed up as '1178 hr 56 min (40%) remaining' and after 2 weeks it now shows '401 hr 38 min (10%) remaining'.

So the battery isnt charging up and the charging status is not showing up on the laptop.

Please help Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adaptor plugged in but battery isnt charging up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adaptor plugged in but battery isnt charging up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Edit
by suli17 / October 9, 2011 9:37 AM PDT

The latop is a DELL INSPIRON 6400

Also forgot to mention that when I take the battery out, the laptop wont power on with just the charger plugged in

Collapse -
Sorry to read this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2011 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Edit

Unless I find the charger is not the unit specified by Dell it invariably is a motherboard fault. Not cheap to fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery and Charger
by suli17 / October 13, 2011 2:40 AM PDT

The battery and charger that I am using at the moment are replacement ones which are not Dell's.
I still have the original battery and when I insert that one the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Keeping in mind the details so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery and Charger

We know because of the prior battery fires makers lock out non-maker parts in this area. So it means nothing if it doesn't work.

Then we have the old 300 cycle battery discussion to complete. I can't tell how old the battery is and while I read you tried the Windows trick, that does not apply to when the unit is shutdown. The battery would charge without the tricks if the parts are good.

It's all of 3 parts. Battery, wall unit, motherboard. Yes there are some connectors but we don't suspect those until about 4 years or if the unit is dinged up or they reveal it was dropped.
Bob

Collapse -
Battery
by suli17 / October 15, 2011 8:29 AM PDT

This replacement battery is around a year old. Now my battery status shows '3%' remaining.
What shall I do?

Collapse -
Could be proper. WHY?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2011 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery

Because batteries are 300 cycle rated for most. If you find an owner that uses the battery almost daily then you find them buying batteries almost every year.
Bob

Collapse -
New Battery?
by suli17 / October 16, 2011 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be proper. WHY?

So do you reccomend I buy a new battery? The battery I was using has just finished and ive had to replace it with my old 'original' battery. There is '7%' left and decreasing.

Collapse -
This is where the shop has the edge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: New Battery?

They will swap in a good battery and be able to tell if it's the battery or the other 2 parts. I can't diagnose it without that step.
Bob

Collapse -
Price?
by suli17 / October 23, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

If it is a motherboard problem, how much are we looking at?

Collapse -
Varies with make, model, country and prices for such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Price?

I don't sell such things. I also don't use ebay for them since the office would not be able to warranty such. Last board came in at 1,200 US dollars.
Bob

Collapse -
New Laptop?
by suli17 / October 23, 2011 10:00 AM PDT

I might as well buy a new laptop then Sad

Collapse -
Check the power cord
by dholmes10 / November 8, 2011 12:37 PM PST

The problem could be the power cord. A friend of mine was
complaining her HP CQ60 wouldn't charge (says it's plugged in, not charging) unless she jiggled the plug
connection at the laptop. She thought it was the battery and ordered
another one but found it was still not charging correctly. I looked at
it and confirmed that the cord had one loose connection at the barrel
plug.

If it is the power cord you could purchase a new one or repair it like I did below:

The cord (for HP power supplies) can be fixed by slicing a concentric circle around the plug
about a 1/2 inch down from the rubber end and then peeling it off to
expose the two wires. I found one wire broken from the solder joint and
thus not getting a good connection. I drilled a small hole into the
metal barrel to make a better contact and then re-soldered the wire into
the hole. I then super glued the concentric section I sliced off and
then put a piece of 1/2" 2:1 heat shrink tubing ($1.25 on eBay) around
it and shrank it around the repair. It's fixed and due to the black heat
shrink tubing, you can barely tell it was repaired. Hope this helps!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.