Windows 7

General discussion

Ad-Blocker That Works with Windows 7?

by Gail_C / May 4, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

Has anyone found an ad-blocker that works with Windows 7?

I'm running W7 Ultimate with IE8, and have yet to find an ad-blocker that works with this system. I use Super AdBlocker on my XP system (another computer), but this program hasn't been updated since 2007, and it disabled right-click on my new computer so I had to uninstall it.

My problem is not pop-ups.... it's the blinking or scrolling ads that make it difficult to concentrate on the actual page content. I would very much appreciate any information or recommendations for a program to block out the ads. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Blocker That Works with Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Blocker That Works with Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AdBlock Plus
by Jimmy Greystone / May 4, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

AdBlock Plus is a real treat for people who use Firefox. And if you add in NoScript you can weed out quite a few more. You also get all the security benefits that come from NOT using Internet Explorer.

But the thing I love best about AdBlock Plus, is it's companion extension Element Hiding Helper. With this, you can block out pretty much ANY part of a page you want. Like the annoying ads inserted into the middle of the topic listings here. But it doesn't have to be ads, it could just be something you don't like in a page. You could be on some other forum and some inconsiderate clod has some giant banner in their signature or an obnoxious avatar image. AdBlock plus makes them go poof, and in most cases, you can even reclaim the space the ad was taking up.

Collapse -
AdBlock Plus
by Gail_C / May 4, 2010 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: AdBlock Plus

Thank you for your response, Jimmy. I was hoping to stay with IE8, but you certainly make a good case for switching to Firefox. I tried it awhile ago, but wasn't ready to change yet. Guess I'll have to try it again if I find no ad blocker compatible with Win7 & IE8.

Collapse -
Test drive
by bob b / May 4, 2010 11:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
That is a very
by Jimmy Greystone / May 4, 2010 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Test drive

That is a very blunt and unwieldy solution. It's also a fairly static solution. It suffers from the same basic problem as every other list based solution does. The rate at which new sites are being made -- for the express purpose of getting around clumsy methods like this -- far and away outstrips the capability for anyone to keep up.

A HOSTS file may work, but it's like using a 20lbs sledge hammer to swat a fly.

Collapse -
Did you miss
by bob b / May 5, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: That is a very

that the op seems to want to stay with IE.

Do you have a way to port noscript and adblocker plus to IE?

I'm trying to work with the pieces I have....not with what I wished I had.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.