Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ad-Aware, SpyBot and AVG Free

by Chippybaby / March 30, 2009 11:28 PM PDT

I have Windows XP/SP2, run AVG Free on the computer as Anti-virus. I have also had Ad-Aware and Spybot on here, which I have not run for quite a while. I tried to open both of them today and run them, but I was unable to do so. For Spybot, a message read that it couldn't find sqlite3.dll. I was rather concerned when Ad-Aware just flickered in the background and wouldn't open. So I removed them from the computer and was planning to reinstall updated version from your web site.
The real question I have concerning Ad-Aware and Spybot is, do I really need either of them since my XP has malware protection and the AVG seems to pick up on cookies and the like?
I do have the firewall on XP off because that will interfere with the AVG.
I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Aware, SpyBot and AVG Free
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Aware, SpyBot and AVG Free
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG Free
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 31, 2009 12:05 AM PDT

You first mentioned AAW wouldn't open. You never mentioned which version you have installed. Were you aware of the fact that [urlhttp://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/adaware-se-updates-discontinued=]Ad-Aware SE Updates were discontinued? You asked, "do I really need either of them since my XP has malware protection and the AVG seems to pick up on cookies and the like?" In order to determine if you really need them, it might help to know which other "anti-malware" protection you presently have installed.

Collapse -
more info... sorry!
by Chippybaby / March 31, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

Yes, the spybot and ad-aware are both older versions. I was not aware there were no more updates for ad-aware, since i hadn't used it for a while. The last few times I used spybot, it came up empty and Ad-aware seemed to have the same things on it as the AVG free.
As for current malware protection, I have Windows Defender and a Malware program in Windows Security. I do not have the updates on automatic download, but I do install every time there is an update.
As far as malware detection, that is all I have as of this mornng.

Collapse -
No "sorry's" necessary....
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 31, 2009 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: more info... sorry!

What is the name of the "malware program in Windows Security" you mentioned? Unless I'm over-looking the obvious. Confused

I really don't know what to tell you, without knowing what else is installed on your system, or running in real-time. Some A/S applications co-exist without a problem, while other's may cause a conflict. Most stand-alone scanners shouldn't cause a problem.

Despite the fact, Javacool's SpywareBlaster isn't an anti-malware scanner per se, I find it useful. It's a "prevention software that protects against ActiveX based Malware installation. It also protects against known tracking cookies being installed in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and adds thousands of known Malware installing sites to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer". This tutorial isn't current, but current enough where it will be of help.

Again only my opinion, but I would replace Ad-Aware with either Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition.

Hopefully, you'll get some additional opinions and input...

Collapse -
by BluePWNR / March 31, 2009 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: more info... sorry!

I totally agree with Carol, Malwarebytes has saved my skin on more than one occasion, and coupled with SUPERAntiSpyware makes about as good as the freeware anti-malware combos you can have. Short of getting a paid version of AVG, I don't see anything else worth having.
You said you have AVG, with 8.5's $30 lisnence (sorry for spelling) you have pretty much all you need in one package. Plus it leads the industry in Active Internet Protection, err , whatever they call that now, but you honestly won't need all that if you excercise common sense. I totally agree with Carol, and I do not affiliate myself with AVG, I just use it on my Mom's computer seeing as she is the one who needs the extra features.

^.^ AJ!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.