Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Ad-Aware 2007 Won't Install

by Ascertain20 / September 30, 2007 12:41 AM PDT

Every time I try to install Ad-Aware 2007 on my laptop and just at the end, I get an error message that says, "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package." Anyone know what I could do to fix this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ad-Aware 2007 Won't Install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ad-Aware 2007 Won't Install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try their possible solution
by Donna Buenaventura / September 30, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

"How do I resolve the "Error 1722" problem?

This problem relates to the MSI installer from Microsoft; it is associated with either an outdated or corrupt Windows Installer or with permission for Windows Script Hosting (WSH).

First of all, download the latest version of Ad-Aware from the Support Center or https://secure.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php and reinstall. You may also update the software from the 'Web Update' menu in Ad-Aware 2007. Click the 'Update' button to connect to the update server and download the updates. Restart Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch to activate the changes.
UPDATING WINDOWS INSTALLER
Please use the link below to visit Microsoft's support website, which will help you resolve the issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en
Please restart your computer once you have updated this installer.
Reinstall the Ad-Aware 2007 software.
UPDATING WINDOWS SCRIPT HOSTING
Please use the links below to visit Microsoft's support website, which will help you resolve the issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en
Please restart your computer once you have updated this installer.
Reinstall the Ad-Aware 2007 software.
CONFIGURING WSH PERMISSIONS

Warning: Do not try to edit registry keys if you are unfamiliar with the Windows Registry. Attempt this only at your own risk; Lavasoft does not take responsibility.
In the Windows Start menu, open run and type 'regedit' in the command line. Click 'Ok'.
Check for either or both of the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\Enabled
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings\Enabled

If either of those has a DWORD value of '0', then scripting is disabled. Changing the values to '1' should enable scripting."

The above is in their http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/faq_aaw2007.php

Collapse -
Ad Aware 2007 Won't Install
by kewwis / January 26, 2008 9:03 AM PST

I tried all the remidies and it still didn't work, so i left the error code on the screen and held my power button until it shut down, restarted my computer and it worked.
I guess frustration led to trying anything and anything worked, hope it helps .

Collapse -
Ad Aware win't install
by plwertz / January 29, 2008 5:45 AM PST

Please note: Ad Aware and Ad Ware are not the same animal. GOOGLE search brings up Ad Ware at the top --sponsored-- part of the page. You think this is what you want; it isn't!!! The actual items searched for appear below the advertisements. There you will find Ad Aware

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by pma1145 / January 29, 2008 11:56 AM PST

I went to the registry to check to see if I had an old copy of Ad-Aware in registry (I did) and removed it, then I rebooted. I wanted to make sure it would work successfully so I downloaded without running and then disabled security suite (zone alarm) ran it and then re enabled suite. (do not connect to internet when doing this, please) It worked fine after that. (please run a registry scan after to make sure Ad-Aware 2007 plays fair) hope this helps.

Collapse -
Had a curve on Ad-Aware 2007, update defs not the 2nd part
by darclew3-2215827575258062 / January 29, 2008 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Had the same problem

So I went to remove all traces from add/remove,search & registry.
Remember what yor parents said: "The first will be last and the last, first?" update definitions NO second was the other one: YES.

It went back to upating defintions that way! Darrell

Collapse -
Ad-Aware 2007
by denith / January 30, 2008 12:55 AM PST

I would highly recomend that you either redownload/install windows install package/adware 2007

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.