Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

ACT! vs. Outlook

by kayr / February 16, 2006 11:04 PM PST

We are considering ACT! for our database/contact needs. Someone suggested that, since we already have Microsoft Outlook in place, we could utilize Outlook to perform the same functions as ACT! I am trying to find a good comparison between the two programs, but so far I'm not having much success. Does anyone know where I can find such a comparison (preferably non-biased)? Or is there someone who is familiar enough with the features of these programs to advise us? We have several very large databases that we need to contact by specific groupings; the groupings may be different each time including by name, category, date, geographical area, amount, etc..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ACT! vs. Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ACT! vs. Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One thing is not the other.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2006 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: ACT! vs. Outlook

I'll write that contact management is not in Outlook.

But BEWARE using Act in a shared database mode. Unless you have some version that can link to a MySQL (or other SQL) database, you will suffer.

At least someone told you.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Act! or Outlook
by Kees Bakker / February 18, 2006 4:54 AM PST

Kayr,

If Outlook was all you needed for CRM, Microsoft wouldn't sell Microsoft CRM, would they. The fact that they do contains the answer to your question.
You might like to compare Act! with the latter product. That might be a fair comparison.

But the description of your need is so vague that there might be quite other solutions that are better suited for you. All I can say is that it seems that is has to be based on a database. Then the issues to consider are:
- what items do I need in the database
- how do we update the database
- what do we want to do with it
- what output is necessary for us
I would advise you to hire a qualified CRM consultant.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
ACT! v OutLook
by petakench / February 18, 2006 9:56 AM PST

Have used both ACT! and Outlook for many years, and make the following choices as to which one to use.

Do you need to easy access, letters, emails, and documents from within the particular access point i.e. Fred Smith's info, if so go with ACT! It is v. easy to customize, re arrange the fields etc.
Easy to set up dialing, and email features. I have never set up faxing from within; the versions I used did not have this feature, had to use WinFax. But I imagine the latest would have this feature built in.
So for a busy business data base ACT! with perhaps Word as your default word processor, the ACT! one was a little - well - basic.
Outlook if you wish to use a basic, but easy to use database, with a v. small learning curve.
I used ACT! since ACT! 1 came out, but only for business at home, and in a home business I now run OutLook for the easy of intergration.
If I increase my work load, or database requirments I would have no hesitation in migrating over to ACT!.
Really the only way to out for you is to run the two systems, and compare your requirments, make YOUR OWN decision based on usage and requirements.
Hope this stimulates some thought and discussion. PK..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.