Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Download.com Site Feedback

Question

AcomData Storage Divice

by Broomba7x2 / June 14, 2012 / 4:29 AM UTC

I have an AcomData Ondango SHD160UFAPE-54, and I need the Driver Software, but the Site is closed, and I can't seem to get it anywhere. Is there anywhere I can get it without having to go through AcomData.com? Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AcomData Storage Divice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AcomData Storage Divice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I couldn't find
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 / 4:47 AM UTC

AcomData Ondango SHD160UFAPE-54 , but Google does list AcomData Ondango SHD060UFAPE-54, (note 060 and not 160).

Is the 060 the one you mean? If so, I couldn't even find any manuals or drivers for it.

Does it need drivers? The external drives I have didn't need any. What happens if you just connect it to your computer?

You have posted in the CNET TechTracker forum. Is that because TechTracker notified you of updates for this external drive?

Mark

Collapse -
AcomData Ondango
by Broomba7x2 / June 14, 2012 / 7:27 PM UTC
In reply to: I couldn't find

I'm not sure if it a 160 or 060. The Model Number in the little book that comes with it reads SHDxxxFAPE-54. So, it might be 060 you replace the xxx's with. But, I figured you replace it with how many GB's it holds. That would also make sense of why I couldn't find the Software. But, if I plug it into the Computer, it just does nothing. The blue light on the Device comes on, but nothing on the Computer. I even tried going though 'My Computer' and 'Manage My Computer'. But, I can't find it anywhere on the Computer. I have even tried it on two other Computers, a Laptop, and a Mac. Still no luck. The only thing I can think of, is since the AcomData Site is closed, it can't find the Software to download. And, I wasn't exactly sure where to post it to be honest. This is the first time I have been on this Site.

Mike

Collapse -
Not a problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 / 3:29 AM UTC
In reply to: AcomData Ondango

Not a problem posting here, I just wasn't sure you were aware there are other forums. Happy

Well this is a strange one. I tried AcomData.com and got nothing as well so it looks like they are out of business. I still can't find any manuals or drivers for this drive.

I see you said My Computer doesn't show this drive is connected, but I wonder if it shows up in Disk Management? If you haven't tried that, do that next. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management.

If it does show up there what does it say about this drive? Can you right click the drive in the bottom half of the screen and see options? If so, which ones?

Mark

Collapse -
Management
by Broomba7x2 / June 15, 2012 / 11:52 PM UTC
In reply to: Not a problem

Ok. I went to Disk Management, and nothing shows up there. It's so strange. The light on the device turns on and everything, but it doesn't show up anywhere. Like I said, the only thing I can think of, is the Software.

Collapse -
Re: plug in, does nothing
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 / 4:11 AM UTC
In reply to: AcomData Ondango

- If it's a new drive, back to the shop and get one that works (warranty!).
- If second hand, ask the previous owner.
- If it used to work with you and suddenly doesn't without you doing anything special, most likely it's gone south. Disk Management, as advised by Mark, is a useful diagnostic tool. It could even be you can revive the drive by deleting all partitions and making a new one. Please tell what happens.

Kees

Collapse -
Disk Management
by Broomba7x2 / June 15, 2012 / 11:06 AM UTC

Mark - Ok. I went to Disk Management, and nothing shows up there. It's so strange. The light on the device turns on and everything, but it doesn't show up anywhere. Like I said, the only thing I can think of, is the Software.

Kees - It is a brand new Drive, but I have already tried sending it back, and getting anew one. They both do the same thing. Also, what do you mean by reviving the Drive by deleting all Platforms and making a new one?

Mike

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 / 11:19 AM UTC
In reply to: Disk Management

If it doesn't show up in Disk Management, and your OS is Windows XP or higher (Vista, 7) and you use the USB connection (not the 1394 in Windows) something is wrong hardware-wise.

Things you can try:
- does another external disk work on your PC
- can this disk be seen by disc management at another PC?
- does Linux (boot from a Linux Live CD) see it?

Back to the shop, let them show it works with them and, if not, get your money back.

Kees

Collapse -
Disk Management
by Broomba7x2 / June 15, 2012 / 11:50 PM UTC
In reply to: Re: disk

It does not show up in Disk Management, or Device Management. It doesn't show up on other PC's, Also, I use the 1394. But, it's just too odd to think I got two brand new Drives, and they both have the same problem. I read the Manual, and it says that the Software will automatically download, which means it should have software, right? I'm not sure. I thought it was one thing, but now it seems I was wrong. Who knew this could be such a pain in the Butt? Lol

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Again, the model I looked at requires NO DRIVERS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2012 / 11:15 AM UTC

If it's not showing in DISK MANAGEMENT tell if it shows in DEVICE MANAGER.

I have reasons for it not to show in DISK MANAGEMENT but the DEVICE MANAGER result is what I need to decide if it's one thing or just a dead HDD.

BE SURE THAT OTHER USB HDDs work before we go any further.
Bob

Collapse -
Device Management
by Broomba7x2 / June 15, 2012 / 11:52 PM UTC

It doesn't show up in Disk Management, or Device Management. And, other devices do work on the Computer. This is the only one I'm having problems with.

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 / 5:14 AM UTC
In reply to: Device Management

sadly it seems as if it is dead.

It happens. I have a couple of Seagate hard drives like that. The enclosures light up but no-one is at home.

Mark

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by Broomba7x2 / June 16, 2012 / 12:01 PM UTC
In reply to: In that case

So strange. But, I guess there's nothing I cn do about it. In the Future, do you recommend any specific type of Hard Drive?

Collapse -
Not really
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2012 / 3:25 AM UTC
In reply to: Hard Drive

Any where the manufacturer is still in business? Happy

I have one hard drive from a relatively unknown supplier called Freecom. I have had it for years and it is still purring along.

I now purchase 'named' drives, Seagate, and just enclose them in USB hard drive enclosures.

However, I have recently obtained a set of USB 2.0 to IDE / SATA Converter Cable, (Amazon.com), and I am planning to try these out shortly.

I use Amazon a lot for my supplies.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you
by Broomba7x2 / June 17, 2012 / 1:26 PM UTC
In reply to: Not really

Ya. I suppose this time I'm going to do some research before buying. I've learned my lesson. Lol But, thank you for all your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon