Computer Help forum

General discussion

Acer widescreen monitor goes automatically to "full screen"

by Larry Zeitler / March 9, 2007 5:27 AM PST

I have a new ACER 2223W 22 inch wide screen monitor that goes automatically to full screen view as soon as it starts to play a dvd off the internet. I am running XP Home and IE7. I have Windows Media Player and WinAmp both installed and it works the same on both of them. I wouldn't mind so much, but if the DVD is set to repeat, I can't get out of the playback without manually shutting down the computer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer widescreen monitor goes automatically to "full screen"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer widescreen monitor goes automatically to "full screen"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One idea..
by steve749 / March 9, 2007 5:51 AM PST

Have you tried hitting the "Esc" key and seeing if that takes whatever is playing the DVD out of full-screen mode? How about right-clicking on the screen? Lastly, you could keep something else open like "Task Manager" and use Alt+Tab to bring it up and then kill the process playing the DVD if you want another idea.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Winamp
by PC Catastrophe / March 9, 2007 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: One idea..

When you open winamp there is an 'Options' tab. Click on it. Click on 'Preferences'; scroll down to 'Video'. You can adjust your video screen options from there.

Also, hitting the escape button should stop the full screen, like JB said, then you will notice on the bottom of the video screen options for viewing: Full screen button, 1x button, and 2x button.

Collapse -
Automatic full screen view problem.
by Larry Zeitler / March 10, 2007 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: Winamp

You can click on "Preferences" and scroll down to "Video" and adjust the screen options all you want to. All it does is adjust the WinAmp blue screen. When the video actually starts the monitor screen still automatically goes to "full screen mode" no matter which of the "video screen options" it is set on. And remember that you are both only talking about WinAmp. The same problem exists if you try to use Windows Media Player. Thanks for trying--any other ideas.

Collapse -
One other thought....
by steve749 / March 10, 2007 1:26 PM PST

Is to move the mouse cursor to the top of the window and see if you get back the options in the upper right corner that Minimize, maximize, or close a window where the full-screen may be a maximized view that you can click to bring it back down to a smaller size.

Another thought is to wonder what resolution do you have your system at as if it is one of the smaller ones then it may be that by default it will seem to take over as I'm not sure how many people still run their systems at 640 x 480 or other really low resolutions. My widescreen resolution is at 1440 x 900.

Collapse -
Automatic full screen view problem.
by Larry Zeitler / March 10, 2007 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: One idea..

I have tried the "ESC" key and "right-clicking"on the screen - no luck. I have not tried the idea of keeping open the "Task Manager" idea, but even if that works, it is not a fix, it is just a work around. I really want to find a fix. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
what exactly do you mean by...
as soon as it starts to play a dvd off the internet.?

If indeed you are playing one offsite do remember that the author of the site can specify the size of the browser window s/he pops up.

Can you provide a URL to the site itself?
Collapse -
Automatic full screen video problem.
by Larry Zeitler / March 11, 2007 9:27 AM PDT

I have done some experimenting this afternoon and I believe that you have a good point. I believe that the "full screen" mode is being driven by the video author. I have looked at videos from many different sites, trying to see any differences. But, why is this only a problem now that I have the new wide screen monitor and was not with the 17" CRT monitor that I had before? Also, why can I not get out of the screen with "ESC" or "right click" when I am in "full screen" mode on "repeat" without shutting down the computer?

Collapse -
I missed the off the internet part
by PC Catastrophe / March 14, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

This is only happening when you are watching a dvd from the internet? What are you watching? Is it possible that what you are watching may be buggy....too much for your system.......a million things could cause it to lock up online.

Collapse -
Automatic Full Screen view problem
by Larry Zeitler / March 14, 2007 11:53 PM PDT

It really doesn't make any difference where the video source is. It could be a CMT website video for example or there is a site called "funny videos" or another one called "stupid videos" and yesterday I put in the Eagles "greatest hits audio/video." They all react the same. As long as I made sure before it starts that the "repeat" or "loop" function is not on, I'm ok, but if it is, I'm locked in and cannot get out of the "full screen." Sometimes if I keep hitting the "alt-control-delete" buttons enought times, it will stop, but then I may have all kinds of screens and functions to clean up. Everything was just fine before I installed the new 22" ACER wide-screen LCD. I love the screen otherwise, but this is a real pain in the butt. I have also put the installation CD for the ACER back in, but when it starts up it comes back with a message that current drivers and software are sufficient and no downloads are required.

Collapse -
uninstall/ reinstall
by PC Catastrophe / March 15, 2007 12:35 AM PDT

I am a big fan of uninstall and reinstall. With your problem happening on any site at least you know that its not something from a malicious site. Sometimes when you install hardware things just dont quite go right. I have found some of the most serious problems can be fixed just by trying it again........strange as that may seem.
I am not extremely familiar with Acer products. I have worked on two of their lap-tops, both of which had very minimal problems, but for lack of a better description, they were freaking out. Neither one of them were even six months old, yet were acting as if they were twenty years old. My husband is very familiar with Acer products. Every Acer product they have distributed has been returned with multiple problems. This might be something to think about.

Collapse -
Had the same problem
by nicoxis / March 20, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

hi, I was searching for a solution to the same problem and I finally fixed it!
After messing with media player, codec and other stuff I thought that my video card setting could be the problem, and they were!
I have a MSI K7N2G-L board with integrated Geforce4 graphics, and searching trough the settings I found my Nview option set to "clone" my main screen to the TVout.
I just change the setting to default and voila! problem fixed Grin
Hope this helps you Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.