Laptops forum

Question

Acer Travelmate 5744 Wireless always off

by a-cerotto / May 27, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

Hi everyone,
I've got a travelmate 5744 with windows xp on it.
My first issue is that there is no LED to indicate when the wireless is on or off! this is almost crazy!
Moreover, when I boot my pc the wireless is always off since I need to press fn+F3 in order to see some wireless network in xp's available network list.
Is there a way to make sure that, at least, the wireless is always turned on?

thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Travelmate 5744 Wireless always off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Travelmate 5744 Wireless always off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
webcam black screen
by m1nou / February 11, 2013 7:21 AM PST

hi dud i have an acer travelmate 5744 core i3 DDR3 4GO 500Hdd but i wanna ask u about a problem i have on it
its my webcam i comes a black screen and my driver is installed and updated
i tried windows 7 ultimate 64bit and 32 bit and windows xp 32bit and no change always black screen
please if u know any souloution tell me please its made me crazy i don't know what to do and this is my facebook if u want to send me a msg : https://www.facebook.com/H1LIM?ref=tn_tnmn
and finelly thnx for help
any way i have the same problem too with wirrless even i installed lunch manager but nothing u have to install windows 7 cuz lunche manager application can't be loaded in windows xp

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
In XP
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 8:34 AM PDT

In XP I was always able to go to My Network Places, right click the network and find and select, "show icon in Notification area", (or similar).

Have you tried that? If so, it might be that the icon is hidden. Right click the Taskbar and select Properties. In the new window look for Customize Notification Area and see if the Network icon is set to remain hidden. If so, change that.

Not sure about your 2nd question. How is this computer connected to the internet? Do you have your own router?

Has this always been the same? If it worked in the past, what has changed since it last worked?

Mark

Collapse -
still not useful
by a-cerotto / May 27, 2012 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: In XP

Concerning the first question: I receive a notification at the boot saying that I am disconnected,I would have liked a persistent light on the computer, like a led or something.
The second one is the real issue I'd like to resolve. I have a kraun router connected to the internet. This has always been the same since I bought the pc 2 weeks ago. The only note is that the PC was with no operating system and a technician installed me XP on it.
So, when I started using it I was first surprised for the led absence (all my previous laptops have only one physical button to turn the wireless card on/off and a led to indicate it is working) and the pissed about the fact that I always have to turn it on manually when my computer boots.

Collapse -
Back to the technician then
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: still not useful

I wonder if some drivers are missing because my XP, which I still have, doesn't do this. As soon as I boot up the wireless adapter searches for and finds my router and logs me in to my ISP for internet access.

I don't have to do anything, even though my neighbours also have wireless networks.

I wonder if this is a router setting? This kraun router seems to be Italian as my Google search for it only gives Italian web sites, so I can't help you there, but if you enter the router's setup pages from your browser, you may be able to set the channel #

In fact I've just checked my XP router settings and the channel is set to Auto in its wireless settings.

As to the icon, my XP's "My Network Places" > View Network settings, then right click my wireless settings entry and select Properties, I see 2 options;

1] Show icon in Notification Area when connected, and

2] Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.

Do you not have those options? If not I again suspect drivers are missing.

Mark

Collapse -
I guess it's not the router's fault
by a-cerotto / May 28, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

I can connect seamlessly with other computers to my router. After the computer booted, if I do not press FN + F3 the list of available wireless networks is always empty!
I do not have the pc with me now (my brother took it for a week), I will check that issue about the notifications not popping.
Do you think it is a wireless card drivers issue?
where could I find them?

Collapse -
Answer
Solved Acer Travelmate 5744 Wireless always off
by ManlioRM / October 18, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

Hi,
maybe it's too late, but I have found the solution.
Go to the Acer site, in the download section.
Look for you notebook Acer Travelmate 5744 for Windows XP 32-bit
Do not click on "Driver", click on "Application" instead.
Download and install "LaunchManager".
Now the notebook remembers its wireless state when you reboot it.
It worked for me. Hope it works for you too.
Bye.
Manlio

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.