Laptops forum

Acer Travelmate 240 wont keep the date and time if unplugged

by pecostx / July 23, 2011 1:45 AM PDT

I've just recently acquired this laptop, a travelmate 240, and replaced harddrive and reinstalled xp pro, also had to buy new a/c adapter/charger as it came without one (very cheap, free as a matter of fact). I have discovered that if I do not leave the a/c adapter plugged in when I go to start it up, I get error messages stating that date and time is not in sync. Date and time always show up as December 31, 1987 and time is always 11:03:49 pm. what's up with that? Is my problem a bad or weak battery or is it the little battery on the mother board?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Travelmate 240 wont keep the date and time if unplugged
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Travelmate 240 wont keep the date and time if unplugged
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Just acquired = warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 6:33 AM PDT

Have them fix it fast. If used, why not change batteries?

As to the little battery on the motherboard, what Voltage did you read with your Volt meter?

Collapse -
recently acquired doesn't always equal new product with warr
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 10:13 AM PDT

I've been unemployed for 26 out of the last 36 months ( thanks Pres, stimulus is really working for me) so I tend to buy used and repair if needed. I've never worked on a laptop before as in disassemble, remove and/or replace parts, but I am just starting to study for my A+cert so I guess it will be good training. I got this unit free from a recycler and it looked in pretty good condition so I decided to do what it needed as it would help my studies I hope.

I have researched a little and that was the best reason I came up with as to why the date/time keeps reverting back to 1988. I am also thinking that the laptop (main) battery may not be holding a charge very long either.

I was just looking at it this afternoon to see how it came apart. I thought I had all the screws out but it wouldn't come apart from under the screen hinges. Not sure where to look for more screws as I can't see/find anymore on the back. Appears as if the whole back comes off as one piece, minus the memory and modem covers and battery.

Hoping to get ideas as to directions to take as far as repairs and test them against what I'm learning as diagnostic skills begin to take shape. I do appreciate your help and hope I don't wear out my welcome here. Thanks!

Collapse -
In the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum we have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

MANY articles and tips at the top.

RECENTLY ACQUIRED means just that. If a product didn't work, why not get a refund?

As to the battery, I can't find age or the Volts on the CMOS battery so while it's likely to be that, without those details it's a 50/50 chance.

Collapse -
Hard to ask for a refund for something that was free!!!
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

Especially after it was me who sought it out after picking through a pile of them with this one being the most complete. Remember I got it from a recycler. E-waste it is called meaning electronic scrap.

I cant help myself. I always find myself trying, or at least wanting, to fix broken stuff up so it can be useful again.

Collapse -
Also just downloaded tech manual for it.
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 2:24 PM PDT

Shows how it comes apart so I will replace the cmos battery just to learn how to. Also try to extract the wireless"board", for id purposes. Found manual on Acer europe site by accident. Now why would it be available in europe and not here??(dont really need to answer that)

Collapse -
One of the problems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 11:57 PM PDT

Is the lack of details which means advice can be wrong. Free is fine but it changes the answers I would give.

1. I'd get out my Volt Meter before changing the battery.
2. Why pull the WIFI card?

I have for years just ID'd the laptop and off to the maker for the drivers.

Collapse -
Why, is the question.
by pecostx / July 24, 2011 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: One of the problems

Is it necessary to pull the wificard if I go with a pc card to do the same job or can it be left in there? Will it interfere if left in? As to changing the battery, I am looking at it as a learning experience. I will also get out my vom and investigate it at the same time.

Another issue is presenting itself as we type. I am noticing that the cursor is disappearing occasionally and when it does I can't type and need to relocate it to continue. Is this because I am not on a solid surface ( I have the laptop propped up on an ottoman) when typing? is this "cursor jump"?

Collapse -
Laptops continue to dislike beds and soft surfaces.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Why, is the question.

I guess folk don't want to read such but if you place it on a soft surface a vent can be blocked and cause no end of troubles. Sorry to read that.

Collapse -
Lack of details comes from the "new" I guess
by pecostx / July 24, 2011 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: One of the problems

Like I said I'm just starting to get into this stuff and so not always sure just what might need to be known. I also did just that, downloaded all of the drivers that Acer had for this machine. After loading the xp that my local computer shop sold me for $5 (told that the licensing was in the machine not the disc) I then put all the drivers downloaded from Acer in. These are the ones I'm dealing with. Where did you see the one with the 2008 date?

Collapse -
I would never show off that XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 4:13 AM PDT

All the 5 dollar XP's are cracked or pirated and you were ripped off.

I don't talk about them.

Collapse -
probably the reason why the lack of options
by pecostx / July 24, 2011 9:21 AM PDT

for the wireless security!! Would I still have the security problem even going to a pc card for wifi? Are the security options driven by the device or the software or the OS?

(As for the beds and cushions, I am well aware of the venting issue and have it sitting on a flat solid cover binder, which is what is actually sitting on the ottoman. Thanks for the heads up anyway.)

As for the "copy" of xp would I be able to upgrade it legally to vista or 7 or would I still have "problems" with it as the base of the upgrade?

Collapse -
I can't answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 9:45 AM PDT

Since the 5 buck XP is of unknown heritage, all bets are off.

Collapse -
Yeah, I kinda figured that.
by pecostx / July 24, 2011 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: I can't answer that.

When upgrading to a newer OS, does that overwrite the old OS or just add the newer info to it?

Collapse -
Given the nature of all 5 dollar XP CDs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 12:04 AM PDT

I can't tell what would happen. So far, without fail these are crack pirate copies so no one can tell what would happen.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.