Laptops

Alert

Acer PC - Will not boot ?

by DrKaputt / September 26, 2012 9:25 PM PDT

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire X3400 with Windows 7 64bits that I bought last year (2011).

One week ago it started going really slow, so I scanned for a Virus but there was nothing. Then when I opened a session the computer would freeze. I could not even access the hard drive on the network.

I created a new session thinking that it was corrupted. But same thing I would open the session and it would freeze.

I rang up Acer, they tried re-boothing (Alt Gr + F10), re-installing. Nothing would work. They suggested it might be the hard drive. As I am not longer under guaranty I would have to pay for repairs.

I thought that if it was just the hardrive I could change it myself. I bought an identical hardrive to the one already in there. (Western Digital WD10EARS 1t 3,5 SataIII).
I also created a bootable Windows 7 (as I have the product key) to re-install.

I tried booting the computer. the installation started but froze at the decompression stage 0% and then appeared error 0X80070002.

I tried again and windows boot manager appeared with error 0XC00000C9 .

I don't know what to do now. Any ideas?

Thank you !

DrKaputt

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer PC - Will not boot ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer PC - Will not boot ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: install error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 26, 2012 10:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re : Install Error
by DrKaputt / September 27, 2012 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: install error

Dear Kees,

Thank you very much for your idea !

I unfortunately don't have the restore disk. That is why I created a re-bootable Windows 7 drive.

I tried installing XP and it didn't work either.

In the tower there are 4*1go RAM. Would it help if I tried taken them out one by one to see if one doesn't work?

DrKaputt

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re : Install Error

That's the idea. Remove 2, install Windows. If OK, probably one of the other 2 is the culprit

A program like memtest86 (free download) would be useful also. It runs from CD, so you don't need a working copy of Windows.

Kees

Collapse -
RAM
by DrKaputt / September 27, 2012 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM

I tried taking out the RAM.

First time round when trying to copie windows file a box appeared saying something like there was no storage space which is strange as there is a new hard drive!

Second time round windows boot manager appeared with error 0XC00000C9 .

It's really strange

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM

If you're sure it isn't the hard disk and it isn't the RAM, it's the motherboard. So it's time to find a repair shop. It might be worth the money (or not).

Maybe you can run Linux from DVD and access the hard disk. Maybe you even can install Linux on it. But both are doubtful. Moreover, you don't buy a Windows laptop to install Linux on it.

Kees

Collapse -
repair shop suggestion
by engtianxi / November 14, 2012 12:01 PM PST
In reply to: Re: RAM
Collapse -
That code looks familiar
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

It's one of those you see from XP. Are you sure you are using the right restore media?

Also, it's time to wipe the drive. Make it EMPTY then use the Acer restore DVDs.
Bob

Collapse -
hdd
by engtianxi / November 14, 2012 11:43 AM PST

I also have this problem before...

Time to buy a new hard disk and replace it. Maybe your hard disk is corrupted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.