Computer Help

General discussion

Acer notebook. Keyboard, mouse, USB not working

by camera_club / May 13, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

Hi I have a Acer 5100 notebook, it boots up windows just fine, but the keyboard, USB and mouse pad are not working no matter what I try. I took out the battery and still the same deal. I can't enter safe mode b/c no keyboard response. Is this the motherboard gone bad? Virus? Help, anyone????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer notebook. Keyboard, mouse, USB not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer notebook. Keyboard, mouse, USB not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you get to the BIOS or setup screens?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

Does the restore dvd boot? Linux CDs work or not?

Collapse -
by camera_club / May 13, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

I unfortunately don't have either of those. Should do the trick though? Worth tracking them down?

Collapse -
sorry man its your board
by uzzer55 / May 22, 2008 11:09 AM PDT

I in the same boat. Im fighting with Acer now about it. we are not the only ones. we need some big like CNET to do a posting on there site about this. Acer knows about the problem its big,do a google seach. i have put a customer alter on my site (www.afterhourcomputers.com) but im too small to spread the word. CNET could you please help us?

Collapse -
Never a fight here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 10:15 PM PDT

Acer has fixed every issue with our Acers over the years under the warranty agreement. I know some want them to honor the warranty outside the 1 or so years so one wonders what the fuss is about.

Another issue is that some want Acer to repair the OS without disturbing the user's files. -> Not going to happen. This is true for all the makers. Your files deserve to be backed up. A lesson to those that don't backup?
Bob

Collapse -
Acer's BS
by uzzer55 / May 22, 2008 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Never a fight here.

so you think Acer shouldn't be responsible for there product after the year warranty knowing that there is a big problem. Then the automotive companies should have recalls after you drive off the lot, after 3rd party mechanic fixes it, or better yet after a year warranty. I know a car is bigger in sense because a car can take your life. But think of people that have your whole life on a computer. picture of loved ones, banking, there business that provides for there family.
so don't tell me that Acer fix the problem, they didn't because the problem is with the people that are out of warranty.

Collapse -
Out of warranty = Out of warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Acer's BS

Thanks for revealing what your fuss was about.

"But think of people that have your whole life on a computer. picture of loved ones, banking, there business that provides for there family."

Got it. Looks like you didn't have a backup or plan. Did you think you should have extended the warranty? It's cheaper than the alternatives.
Bob

Collapse -
Out of warranty = Out of warranty.
by uzzer55 / May 22, 2008 11:26 PM PDT

Who plans to buy a computer every year and half to two years. its bad enough that technology growing rapidly and most people can afford that. heres my plan...As a A+ tech and network+ tech i will be staying away from all Acer desktop and notebooks. I will be informing all my customers and network of IT friends to stay away form Acer desktops and notebooks.
and again, I know im out of warranty, but a defective computer is a defective computer. and its the manufacturers responsibility to fix it.

Collapse -
Answer = Those that buy laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 11:34 PM PDT

It's a hard lesson that laptops have just a few years of life designed in. You already know that hard disks have a 5 year design.

Hard disk = 5 years.
Battery = 500 full cycles or 18 months.

There are other bits and pieces that we could dive into but ask this. Do the people selling this limited life product tell you this? Why would they?

Yes, our office laptops do fair better but didn't use to. We had to fire a pair of abusive employees (banging on the keyboard and wouldn't change their ways) and after that our costs started to come inline and we could move to all laptops. We figure on 3 year cycles now.

Because we depend on the laptop we don't want to go beyond that time span.

-> But here's my advice. EXTEND THAT WARRANTY to the length of time you need this laptop or to the time that you are willing to pay for out of warranty rates or a new unit.

In closing, your story is not limited to Acer. You'll find members with stay from Dell, Toshiba, Apple, HP and just about every brand. But once you get the full story you find nothing was amiss.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer notebook. Keyboard, mouse not working (NO SOLUTION YET)
by kumar754 / June 30, 2008 7:33 AM PDT

Yet the problem remains the same. this project is not limited to a single user, but a lot many people they are facing the same problem... same Acer notebooks keyboard and mouse not working.. and what the reason... ? nobody knows...
Tried all suggestions found on google search, but no success.
Problem here is whether or not you have extended warranty... your problem should be resolved, is it a harware issue (ready to payoff for any parts) or is it an software issue (will try contacting microsoft support then).

Collapse -
Let me share...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 9:31 AM PDT

Acer's warranty work has come through for us. I'm still unsure if you were hoping for some free fix or other.

-> Last chance idea. Plug in some USB KEYBOARD and does that get the unit back into service?

Also there is a software plague in regards to an upperfilters registry entry BUT that's another story since a system recovery works as well as the Linux boot CD. DID YOU TRY THIS TEST?

Bob

Collapse -
ACER ASPIRE.... PROBLEM
by kumar754 / August 10, 2008 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Let me share...

I was able to get it working by removing the battery and connecting direct to power supply, both keyboard and mouse works perfectly fine. The problem occurs only if you start the laptop with the battery connected. This is wrong only with ACER LAPTOP. I have another Toshiba Laptop whose battery is totally gone (hardly works on battery for 2-3 minutes), but everything works perfectly fine. I think ACER must seriously consider to recall all the faulty batteries and this way they might able to maintain their brand name, else most of the people have lost their confidence with ACER products.

Collapse -
Why do you think the battery is faulty?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

Let's look at Dell's rating on their battery. I see 300 cycles.

Look above and I share that we are buying 1 to 2 year machines. No retailer is sharing this but I can see it. Can you?
Bob

Collapse -
Faulty doesn't means ... # of recharge cycles !!!
by kumar754 / August 12, 2008 2:39 AM PDT

Look I don't mean by number of recharge cycles, may be my battery goes more than 300 who knows... all the batteries will die over a period of time and you may want to buy a new one or just continue on power supply... YOUR DECIDE!!. My ACER battery was OK, it was giving me 30+ mins of power backup and then I face this problem for keyboard and mouse.

OK let me ask a question, are your expecting all the system to behave the same if your battery cycles are over ?? does the same problems occurs with your Dell laptops ?? I have mentioned about the Toshiba Laptop which I am using since last 3-4 yrs, battery is totally gone but system works just fine, no issues. Why the Toshiba system doesn't react like the ACER one ??? I am not saying Toshiba products are better than ACER nor I want to compare with any other brands. I am just raising one fact that everyone knows, there is some problem with ACER products. Many people are having this issue and posted this problem and I am one of them trying to figure out the actual cause rather than finding alternatives(of purchasing ext warranty or new battery).

Collapse -
"actual cause" = going to be very expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

Remember that today no one troubleshoots past the power brick, a motherboard, drive or battery. Your expectations are bound to be dashed here.

I do have a fine test to determine if it's software related and I'll share it. I boot up a few Live CDs of Linux and see if the hardware is good or bad.

The cheap fix is to extend the warranty, then call it in. I know some that don't and end up flaming the laptop maker for years.
Bob

Collapse -
Its the motherboard!
by bw5011 / August 26, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

I have ran into this same problem. External usb devices do not work, I tried replacing the keyboard and that did not work. I took the hard drive out and boot Ubuntu from the disc and it booted but still no interface from keyboard or mouse, internal or external, it does not matter. I took all of the components out and cleaned (compressed air) everything. I used thermo grease on cpu, but everything back and the same problem. I knew it was a motherboard problem when I tried to access the bios various ways in the beginning with no luck. I have instructed my customer that the motherboard will need to be replaced.

Collapse -
Resolution to Acer keyboard/mouse lockout
by jamesgeraci / September 8, 2008 8:23 AM PDT

Resolution

1. Power down the laptop.
2. Unplug the power supply and battery.
3. Press and hold the power button for 30-45 seconds.
4. Release the power button and plug in the power supply.
5. Turn on the laptop.
6. After you are in normal Windows then put your battery in.

This is Acer's FULL POWER RESET. Acer still claims that they never heard about this problem but I was able to get this general fix information from them. If your problem is not resolved by this then Acer states it is a mainboard problem.

James

Collapse -
it works
by kumar754 / September 8, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

yes this solution works for me...

Collapse -
Resolution to Acer keyboard/mouse lockout
by Transprt / October 24, 2011 11:18 PM PDT

You rock James...this worked great. You just saved me a whole lot of time and BS. Thanks. All my USB ports were sending power intermittantly to the mouse. The light on the mouse was blinking and dimming in and out, so there was some power to it, but wouldn't respond. Tried your fix suggestion and worked. I'm surprised at myself for being so happy over a simple little problem fix like that....Oh well. Happy

Collapse -
Don't forget that you had the option to purchase ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 3, 2009 2:09 AM PST

an extended warranty when you made the purchase and apparently chose not to on the assumption that any problems would show up the first year (or sooner if the one you purchased was perchance refurbished with a 90 day warranty).

NO manufacturer is responsible for product repairs out of warranty other than SAFETY DEFECTS such as the batteries replaced on many laptops because there was a potential for fire.

ANY "A+ tech and network+ tech" would be well aware of both user and manufacturer responsibilities and would never confuse the two.

Collapse -
Acer is junk
by horse_1002 / January 2, 2009 5:15 PM PST

I repair computers for friends and family for fun, and I am here to tell you Acer is junk. Friends of mine and one of my daughters decided to purchase one and they have all had serious troubles. Drivers are not user friendly, and if a person, that is not very good with a computer, does not have the recovery cd to replace the drivers, they will experience serious issues with the mouse and keyboard. My daughter sent hers in to be repaired, after only four months, for a faulty processor, and the wonderful tech wiped the hard drive. Why? I tested it before it left and it was perfect. Now she has a computer that is under warranty but does not have an OS installed. Should she have backed up the computer? Yes. Should Acer techs wipe the hard drive? NO! Acer will be a memory soon if they dont get it right. I think the people on this site expect these computers to last longer than a year and would like to see a more user friendly computer, if that is what it is.

Collapse -
All the majors seem to reload your hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2009 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Acer is junk

Just so you know, I've seen every maker reload a hard disk when it goes to service. While we wish they didn't...

Be sure to keep telling people to backup.

As to the more user friendly computer, we know where those are.
Bob

Collapse -
Did you find solution
by shea0623 / September 20, 2008 3:15 AM PDT

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem with the keyboard and mouse. I have the same issue with mine and am going crazy trying to find out how to fix it.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you read post 17?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you find solution
Collapse -
yes i found the solution
by kumar754 / October 31, 2008 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you find solution

- shutdown and power off your acer laptop
- then remove the battery out of laptop
- connect the power and switch on ur laptop
- let it boot to operating system
- check if its working now? ur keyboard and mouse should be working now
- you can now connect the battery and keep working.
- if u want to power off, put ur laptop in hibernate more, rather than shut-down. so u dont have to reboot next time without battery.
- if u restart or start ur laptop after a shutdown, make sure to remove the battery first

i hope this will help.

Collapse -
some more working solution...
by kumar754 / January 14, 2009 5:46 AM PST

try the below 2 solutions..
working for many acer models with similar problem.

See if you have the ACPI options available in the "Advanced Configuration Power Interface" of your BIOS, disable it. and restart the laptop with the batteries connected. see if keyboard-mouse if working ?

if you cant see the option in BIOS, try this option:
go to control panel >> system >> hardware >> device manager >> batteries.
and disabled the ACPI option
restart the laptop with the batteries connected see if the kayboard and mouse working.

-------------------

it is possible to disable the ACPI option if you are using LINUX. try google it.

Collapse -
note book USB
by nagamanyu190288 / October 31, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

why dont u install ur USB drivers to ur notebook. may be by mistake u must have uninstalled the drivers. becoz it happened to me once. i have uninstalled one of my USB drivers.

Collapse -
Problem is in SonyBattery pack.
by Fagusius / November 28, 2008 10:03 PM PST

Laptop Acer 4672WLMi owner
As I have experienced within similar problem, finally solution has been found. The XP system I reinstalled many times with no significant goal. I have never knew it could caused the Sony Battery pack. If you plug the AC adapter to computer, without connected battery pack, the mouse pad works correctly as well as keyboard does.

The goal is what I mean. Finally I am suspecting the Acer itself.
What I mean is Acer company is feeling little bit guilty to consumers and they launched Battery Pack Exchange Program. See: https://www.acerbatteryrecall.com/AcerWeb/
The only some product have been chosen to exchange. Please see the list and than ask for new battery pack.

What is strange, when Acer says... "there have been 16 reports of notebook batteries overheating. These reports were associated with earlier recalls by other notebook computer manufacturers of batteries containing these Sony cells. These previous reports involved only minor property damage and two minor burns. None of these reports involved batteries in Acer notebook computers"

And what I mean now is, this could be the only excuse of them (producer), they knew there is a mayor prob within freezing system after start up. The bull*hit about the overheating is only the excuse and confusing for Acer customers.

However I have been satisfied with this laptop and this is only small problem. But people should known where the real problem is.

Collapse -
acer 5100 laptop...key board/ mouse,usb not working
by wefm2507 / October 6, 2009 11:52 AM PDT

help help help... same problem....as others..what can we do?

Collapse -
Please HELP
by RyderWifee / October 11, 2009 1:49 PM PDT

I was using my Acer Aspire 5100 today...no problems (if you don't count the usb ports and camera not working after some previouse vista updates) and all was fine. Went back to the laptop a little later to use it again and I can't get the keyboard or mouse to work. I can not get beyond the welcome screen. I have tried the rebooting it without the battery thing and it doesn't work. I can get to the DOS screen saying either a new update caused the cpu not to reboot properly or the boot in safe mode screen but CAN'T choose safe mode. The cd drive is reading cds however i can not select anything. strange thing is i can get the spacebar key to wake the unit up from sleep and the control and enter keys when i was trying to reset it without the battery like another post suggested. I am at my wits end because of either acer being a crappy brand name or problems with vista. BTW the usb ports have power going to them but they don't recognize ANYTHING. I was able to get them and my camera to work once before when I downgraded back to windows XP but I can no longer do that (failed to buy the media disk from acer and the boot disks i created the day i purchased the system won't do the job)

Collapse -
Your machine sounds like it needs repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Please HELP

Today I'm running into folk that expect machines to be trouble free and never need repair for years and years.

"We're not there yet."

Repairs are likely to exceed what you can replace this machine for.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.