Laptops forum

General discussion

Acer netbook audio problem

by namsilat1 / May 3, 2009 6:37 AM PDT

I have a Acer 150 series netbook, and I have been having problems with receiving audio when having a video conversation with someone on Messenger. I have done a lot of testing and narrowed it down to the netbook. When having a video conversation, the voice from other party is "broken", such that it's interrupted constantly on and off.

I have tested with other machines in the same household to make sure it's not an internet connection problem. I have tested with different people to make sure it's not just one particular person/connection. There's no problem with my voice to the other party. I have also played around a bit with settings of the speaker on the netbook, but there's not really that many different options to change settings.

I would not be surprised if there are other netbooks out there with similar problem, so I am hopeful of a solution to this.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer netbook audio problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer netbook audio problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speakers
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 4, 2009 1:22 AM PDT

This might be a bit confusing, but does it sound like it?s your actual speakers that are cutting out or does it sound more like the sound feed cuts out and your speakers are still working? Either one of these could be the culprit, but each has a separate fix and cause.

Collapse -
speaker
by namsilat1 / May 4, 2009 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have not noticed any problem with sound quality while using other programs, so I did not think there's a physical problem with the speakers. The interruption to audio has so far only happened with Messenger.

As for limitation for the machine, I thought the netbook was designed exactly for the purpose the social networking, with the built-in camera, its functions should surly include video conferencing.

Collapse -
Then its clearly a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: speaker

Call it in, and if they fail, seek a refund.

Collapse -
well.....
by namsilat1 / May 4, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

I tried another video conferencing program, and there was no audio problem at all. Now it looks like the problem is Messenger. Perhaps the audio compression was overboard. Either way, I think I will stick to the new program.

Collapse -
I'm still thinking it's that tiny CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: well.....

The Atom will show its limitations here and there.

-> You didn't fix the original problem. It still fails with messenger?
Bob

Collapse -
Broken audio problems with Acer Aspire One and Messenger
by lpeterson00 / May 24, 2009 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: speaker

I am having the same problem as well. I am using the latest Windows Live Messenger, and the video works great, but the incoming sound is chopped, as if packet are being dropped. Strangely, the video works perfectly, and the other side is receiving my audio/video with no problems. I have an Acer Aspire One notebook AOA150 with an Atom 1.6 Ghz, 1Gb RAM, and Acer's built-in cam, with Win XP.

If I find the solution, I will post it here -- but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. If anyone is succefully using an alternate videoconferencing program, please let me know. The gmail viceoconferencing plug-in starts, but errors always occur shortly into a session...

Collapse -
ooVoo
by namsilat1 / May 24, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

The program that worked without problem for me was "ooVoo".

Collapse -
Given the Atom CPU in there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 1:35 AM PDT

I wonder if you've found a limitation of these small CPUs?

Collapse -
Driver audio compression decoding
by deniceels / May 24, 2009 4:27 PM PDT

Depending on the issue here, it seems to me like the decoder used by the programme is either overworked or have been using the wrong one.

As it occurs with some IM, do the IM have similar hardware specification like, uses similar amount of memory, processing? If you could see the activity of the processor and memory used when running each IM at different instances (don't open both, but open each at different restart) and if there's a noticeably difference, your culprit is likely resources... same goes for those online plugins...

I'm suspecting is the resources is being maximised to the point where it affects the stability of processing (decoding) the audio stream.

Collapse -
AUDIO ISSUES WITH ACER NETBOOK
by lmechis / November 16, 2009 9:05 PM PST

I had the very same issue with my Acer Aspire One A0D150 model. It had just an audio issue while using the MSN messenger. The audio wouldn't work as expected. It had a "rrrr" sound or with interference, not able to hear the other party.

What worked for me was:

1 - Installed Windows 7 thru an optical unit.
2 - I didn't install any Acer drivers at all as Windows would recognize everything. I did install the audio driver one time, but it caused me to have a the audio issue. I removed the installed driver and kept working with Windows 7 by itself. Problem was solved.
3 - MSN only works for you hearing the other end, not them hearing you. So, I used Skype to do video/audio conferences. From there, my problem got quickly fixed!!

Collapse -
Forgot to mention....
by lmechis / December 26, 2009 4:25 AM PST

I upgraded my BIOS, besides the steps mentioned above.

Collapse -
Acer Netbook Audio Problems
by satyaa33 / December 26, 2009 1:47 AM PST

I am experiencing the same problem - incoming audio breaks up very badly making it unintelligible; outgoing audio is fine and video is fine, and there is no real audio problem with other apps that do not involve telephony. However the telephony problem occurs with BOTH WindowsLive Messenger and GoogleVoice. I can't hear a thing from my caller. Any solutions would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Read the discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 2:09 AM PST

It looks like the tiny CPU is the cause.

It should be interesting to read how many think it's a driver or fixable without replacing the computer.
Bob

Collapse -
Poor incoming sound too, looks like hardware to me.
by davethegriff / December 27, 2009 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Read the discussion.

I'm having a very similar problem with poor incoming sound on an ACER Aspire One. Just on Live Messenger, Skype is fine.
Video & my Outgoing audio is fine, whilst the incoming sound rapidly varies in level like a popping sound, almost as if a compressor has gone bad.

It is definitely the netbook as my old & slow Toshiba laptop works absolutely fine using the same version of Live messenger (the latest, you don't have an option) on fully patched Windows XP via the same router & ADSL connection.

I'm suspicious of Acer VCM (Video conference manager) as my contacts do not have it and the netbook complains that it therefore cannot run.
Does anyone know more about it please (VCM that is??)

WHY does the Acer need VCM, does Skype use it? Whats it all about... all questions I have sent to ACER support in Australia, where I bought the wee beastie. If I get sensible answers from them I will post again. Regards Dave

Collapse -
Latest from ACER tech support
by davethegriff / January 11, 2010 4:50 AM PST

After some delay they suggested I deinstall VCM. They then closed the ticket ........ I tried it but it makes no difference to Messenger (still bad incoming sound decodes) nor to Skype which still works fine.

I have relogged my objection to them closing the ticket when the problem had not been resolved, but I am not hopeful of much more help.

Collapse -
VCM?
by namsilat1 / February 21, 2010 1:03 AM PST

The audio problem continues for my Acer Netbook, and it's difficult to pinpoint exactly which item to blame. It may be the limitation of the CPU, but I have had several instances where the sound worked smoothly without interruption. Then I thought it may be a problem with how busy the MSN servers are, so perhaps pending on time of the day the sound may be broken up. I have so far not been able to point a finger at one exact thing as the cause of the problem.

It's amazing how there's not more complaints about this. With growing popularity of netbooks and MSN messenger, we can't be the only ones having this problem.

Can you tell me where in the system I can locate this VCM?

Collapse -
problem solved
by namsilat1 / March 15, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

I went to Acer's web site to look for new drivers, and saw something for Realtek, but it's some sort of new driver for HD sound. I downloaded and installed anyways. Once installed, there's now an extra option when selection audio source under MSN. I decided to select that just to see, not expecting it to make any difference. Ever since doing that, I no longer have any trouble with interrupted sound stream. At least in my case, I would say the original problem is related to Realtek's regular sound driver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.