PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Acer Monitor says "Input Not Supported"

by UnoriginalUninspired / April 30, 2009 3:55 PM PDT

I recently decided to upgrade from a Geforce 6150SE to a Geforce 9400GT. After uninstalling the old one and installing the new one, I tried to reboot. Everything seemed to load fine, but instead of giving me the login screen, it just said "Input Not Supported". I've tried uninstalling the 9400 and switching back to the 6150, but it still gives the same message when I try to boot up. It only works in Safe Mode or with no drivers installed. Everything was working fine up until I tried to upgrade.

My monitor is an LCD Acer AL1916W, 1440 x 900 @ 60Hz and it connects through VGA. I've tried changing the refresh rate settings, but the only option I get is "Use Hardware Default Setting".

One more thing, I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, if that helps.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Monitor says "Input Not Supported"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Monitor says "Input Not Supported"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It would seem that your video setting
by lacsr / April 30, 2009 9:26 PM PDT

needs to be changed. Boot into safe mode and set the video resolution to the default settings that the monitor likes: 1440 x 900 @ 60Hz . In Googleing for that response, this thread is talking about the Acer monitors giving this message.
http://www.fixya.com/support/t181095-input_not_supported
When you set the resolution, be sure to check the refresh rate to 60 Hz as that seems to be the stumbling block for the Acer.

Collapse -
I've tried that
by UnoriginalUninspired / May 1, 2009 6:30 AM PDT

When I try to change the refresh rate to 60Hz, it only give me the option to "Use Hardware Default Setting". And the 1440 x 900 setting isn't available to me.

Collapse -
I have figured it out!
by UnoriginalUninspired / May 1, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: I've tried that

I re-installed the new card, rebooted, hit F8 during startup, selected an option called something like "Enable Low Resolution" which started it up in a very, very low resolution. From there I was able to change the settings to 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hertz. It works like a charm, now.

Thank you.

Collapse -
This works too
by tomgreig / July 11, 2011 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I have figured it out!

My HP computer does not have a video card. The video circuitry is on the mother board. Since I could not reinstall the card, I unpluged the monitor from the computer and turned the computer on. After waiting a few minutes to be sure Win7 booted up (I had no screen to tell me I was ok), I pluged in the monitor (took a chance and did it while the computer was running). To my delight, there was my desktop, just like it was before. Hope this helps. And thanks to all who contributed to UnoriginalUninspired.

Collapse -
Spoke too soon
by tomgreig / July 12, 2011 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: This works too

Unfortunately when I started the computer again it showed the "Input Not Supported" message. So, I tried this and it worked for sure this time. Start up in Safe Mode. Click the Start Button and type in MSCONFIG and double click on MSCONFIG.EXE. Go to the Boot tab and put an "X" in the Base Video box and click OK. Restart the PC.

When the computer starts, it will be in the lowest resolution with real big icons. Go to Control Panel and select a higher resolution from "Adjust Screen Resolution". The max I can use is 1024x768 with my Acer AL1916 monitor. If all looks good, go back into MSCONFIG and remove the "x" from the Base Video box and restart the computer. Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks a lot dude^^
by Trinors123 / March 29, 2013 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Spoke too soon

thanks a lot dude..it really makes me crazy before i followed your instruction and made my pc returns to it's previos settings..i really grateful to you dude!!!thanks again^^

Collapse -
It really worked !!!
by N-Lalit / July 26, 2014 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Spoke too soon

Thanks a lot it really worked out for me as well. Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.