Laptops forum

Question

Acer Laptop Won't Boot Up?

by CuriousBug / September 28, 2012 9:16 AM PDT

I have an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 that now won't boot up. I turn on the computer, the screen stays blank. I see the power light turn green, it tries to run, but after about a minute it shuts itself off. I removed the hard drive and reseated it to see if that would help -- no dice. Is it dead?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Laptop Won't Boot Up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Laptop Won't Boot Up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No start
by pgc3 / September 29, 2012 1:24 AM PDT

It might help to have a bit more background information as to whether this just happened on it's own or if you were in the process of doing a download, installation, etc. Since it is a laptop I assume the same issue occurs on A/C power or battery, also what OS are you running, again a bit more information may help.

Collapse -
More Info
by CuriousBug / September 29, 2012 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: No start

It's Windows Vista. Yes, issue is on bot A/C and battery power.

The machine was originally purchased new in 2008.

I don't know what it was doing exactly at the time. I believe it was off and it was trying to be turned on.

It is my child's laptop (she's Cool and she brought it upstairs already not working. The transformer on the power was running very warm (more than normal) so we thought maybe it needed to cool down.

Should not have had any installations running or anything, as the parental controls I have on the system doesn't allow that.

Thanks.

Collapse -
No boot
by pgc3 / October 1, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

The first thing to check would be the power adapter, these are easily checked for output with a volt meter. If you don't have one take it to a local shop or even a Radio Shack could likely do it. It is possible that the adapter failed, of course it may be something else, such as physical damage due to the possibility of it having been dropped. First things first, check the output of the adapter.

Collapse -
Laptops really are not laptops
by pyrrhus55 / October 5, 2012 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: No start

I really wish people who sold laptops would encourage buyers more on the subject of heat management.
If a laptop is put on ones lap, or bed, or put running in a shopping bag (anything that blocks the fans). It will burn up from the heat. That's why cooler pads with fans are such a good idea.
Not only for the possible destruction of hardware aspect (ram, processor,etc) . As a laptop overheats , it's processor slows down (designed that way). Thus lower performance.
I'm hoping in your case, it's the ram. Relatively easy to replace.

Collapse -
Coolers
by CuriousBug / October 6, 2012 12:19 AM PDT

I do have coolers for my other computers, but I kept forgetting to pick one up for this computer (it was a hand me down and wasn't used all that many hours per day).

I didn't notice any lower performance before this happened, though it wasn't being taxed that much (basically internet browsing).

Hopefully it's a simple fix. thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
by pyrrhus55 / October 5, 2012 1:26 PM PDT

Since your power on self test is having a bad day.
1.Use a multimeter to check your power.
2. if it was your HD, the POST would probably say its not found.
3. Memory, if your ram went bad, the post would die.
4. Processor? if it's dead , you probably wouldn't get that much try.
However, are your fans working? If they fail the processor will cut out. But in a minute???
If a friend has some known good ram, try it.

Collapse -
fans
by CuriousBug / October 6, 2012 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: POST

Fans seem to be operating. I will have to look at getting some ram. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.