Laptops forum

Question

Acer Iconia Dual Touch Screen Ghosting Fault

by essjaythegreat / August 17, 2012 7:36 AM PDT

Hello there.

I have a problem and would appreciate, if anyone who is in the know could please help me out?

I have recently gone and bought a Duel-Touch Screen Acer Iconia 484G64NS, from eBay. The person I bought from, had previously purchased the Iconia laptop from QVC a year earlier, and had only used it ones or twice in the time that he owned it. So its practically brand new, packaging and all.

After a couple of days use, I noticed an unusual problem with the main touch screen (that's the one on top) were I experienced a strange problem, which I can only describe as a multi-touch ghosting issue, Its as though the screen is being touched/pressed repeatedly although no one is actually touching or using it! this problem prevented me from interacting with my Iconia laptop, cancelling out my touch inputs and even the use of my mouse!

I thought that maybe this was a one off occurrence, but to my displeasure I've now been experiencing this fault more and more often.

This problem seems to happen randomly, but when it does happen I have to do a full hard reset as the computer becomes fully unresponsive and this also results in any work I am doing becoming lost, as I cant save my work!

I've installed windows 7 and 8 and the fault is prevalent in both operating systems, so at this point I was now thinking that this must be a hardware problem.

I am also worried that over time this fault will become more apparent and therefore happen much more often.

After contacting Acer customer services, the only response I am getting is that because the laptop is now out of its warranty period they can no longer help me and have now refused to fix my laptop, unless I pay for it that is.

So after doing some investigating of this dilemma over the internet I have now found that I am not alone, other people who have also bought this very same Acer model are also experiencing the very same problem and have uploaded their videos showing this. which has now led me to believe that this must be a manufacturing fault and I and other people are now left dealing with this issue without support after warranty.

So my question to all you clever people is:

Is the fact that multiple people that are having this very same issue that I am experiencing, indicating a common manufacturing fault, should warranty even come into this, on the grounds that the product was never fit for sale in the first place? Or do I have no grounds for an appeal? and if I do I would like to know where I stand and how should I go about with resolving this issue?

This is a YouTube video link showing my Iconia and the problem I am having:

- http://youtu.be/TnaGDqZmDEE

For other Iconias with the same or similar problems see the following links:

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYd1vJV9EGM

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wId1grvtuM

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvNSj3yHVd4

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncRkQ1laNPg

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Iconia Dual Touch Screen Ghosting Fault
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Iconia Dual Touch Screen Ghosting Fault
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have exactly the same problem
by Benjo55 / November 29, 2012 5:23 AM PST

Hello

I have the same problem with my ACER ICONIA 484g64ns (french equivalent model).

I red as commentary on your youtube video that the problem could be solved with ACER updates. Can you confirm, and tell me where to go to catch a fix ?

If there is no solution, my project is to assign ACER in justice, for having sold me a New hadware with known factory defaults.

Regards

Collapse -
I've seen such happen in the past.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 5:34 AM PST

The videos I watched did not have the factory installed OS. If you've been around since say the first 8088 PC days you've seen this issue before.

Restore it to factory conditions and if it doesn't work then you start your warranty process. If it was defective when you got it you make a choice to return it fast or see if the maker can help.

Those that install some other OS are the most likely to get burned up on this one. Do you need to know why?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.