Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Acer Erecovery fail 12/13

by elektrasabertooth / September 1, 2010 8:46 PM PDT

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help on a problem with my laptop it is an Acer Aspire 5720 with Vista Home Premium 32bit.

Basically I had some problems with the laptop freezing up, often at the end of a scan(macafee) and also it found some malware or something like that, like one file, which I believe was from one of those stupid toolbars that appear when you install something.

The only solution was to format the computer....as it says in the instructions, it has its own built in recovery system so no need to get any discs, none came with it anyway.

On stage 12/13 of recovery, it just stayed on my screen like forever, I just left the laptop on overnight and didn't touch or install anything, next day it was still the same so I figured its stuck on this last stage.

I have tried to format again twice, no luck, at the moment I have turned it off in startup (out of sight out of mind)but when it isn't turned off, it loads up on my screen over everything every time I log on as a long blue bar in the lower part of my screen.

I believe its some sort of driver error after the format, I cant install a printer to the laptop and a few other random things.....Does anyone have a clue of how I can fix this? Laptop was out of warranty when this 1st happened.

Any help would be most welcomed

Thanks

Elektra

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Erecovery fail 12/13
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Erecovery fail 12/13
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We ran into that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 8:56 PM PDT

It turned out the DVDRW drive had failed. Or rather was getting too old for the restore to work. Fortunately the old trick of duplicating the restore DVDs to fresh DVDs worked and we were able to restore without replacing the old DVDRW drive.

So yup, it happens. It can cause many owners a lot of lost time if they don't know the old trick or to replace parts. Some will not replace the drive so you have to let them think about it. Hope they don't go from shop to shop racking up bills more than the old drive or what other part that failed.

In closing I also find this to happen when the laptop never was cleaned. Yes not only the CD/DVD LENS but the rest of the machine as noted at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452

Hope the duplicates work and cleaning helps.
Bob

Collapse -
DVDs
by elektrasabertooth / September 1, 2010 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: We ran into that.

thanks for the reply,

this didnt come with any restore discs, its apparently all built in, so I am not sure how to fix that part :/

but I will take a look at the other part! thanks very much Happy

Collapse -
Then my replies DO NOT APPLY!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: DVDs

Since you opted to not make the recovery media the next stop is to order them.

Recovery failures are not uncommon as what's on the hard drive can become corrupt but let's check off a common issue.

When we use the recovery methods almost all makers ask we unplug any USB devices. This can cause recovery to lock up if say a printer is plugged in.
Bob

Collapse -
not sure...
by elektrasabertooth / September 1, 2010 10:29 PM PDT

I have had no USB devices plugged in during format....

I not sure I like the idea of having to buy discs for it, surely it should have come with them if it was going to be required? Are they expensive, does it mean I have to purchase an entirely new windows vista disc?

It clearly states in the manual that "for my convenience" no discs are required as its all inside the computer for recovery.

Sorry if I am not making too much sense its a bit deep for my understanding going into the mechanics of it Happy

Collapse -
Did you need to?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: not sure...

Did you need to discuss the old topic about recovery media? It's been done a few times but some need to talk/write about it again.

The recovery media is a fraction of the alternative unless you are considering Linux. As to the exact price, I leave that to the machine's maker.

Let's say you follow the usual path and call them to figure out what's amiss. The usual is that you have to part with money for that discussion as it is out of warranty. (Hint: the recovery media is cheaper than that discussions.) And if you continue you often find you have to pack it up and ship it in. Figure about 250 minimum for the service and more if it needs repair. Again, if the recovery media is available it is the cheap exit.

Sorry if this offends you but this discussion has been done a few times. I only want to help you hurry along rather than lose time over the usual.
Bob
Bob

Collapse -
I didnt know,.
by elektrasabertooth / September 2, 2010 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you need to?

I apologize if my post was somewhat repetitive, but I have joined this forum today in order to seek help on an issue I cant fix myself, I was under the assumption that is what this forum is for....

I tried to search for erecovery and didnt see it in anything recent so I made a new post in the hope someone could help.

So going over it "again" isn't something I was aware of or I wouldn't have felt the need to ask the question, if this was boring you there's no need to assist me any further, thank you for your advice so far.

Collapse -
That's ok.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I didnt know,.

Many are upset over restore media that most machines no longer supply. The lesson is learned first hand you don't want to pass up its creation.

I see the link to ordering the media is given below so all that is needed is to decide on that or skip it for Linux.
Bob

Collapse -
Even though out of warranty ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 2, 2010 4:03 AM PDT

I will suggest that you call Acer and explain the circumstances of the recovery failure. The Acer Support may well be able to point you to a fix. If they can't they could tell you how much the recovery media would cost and you could likely order it from them.

I have only worked with eRecovery a couple of times, but if my memory serves me correctly if you access it through the icon on the Desktop or through the installed programs on the menu there is an option to create CDs or DVDs - you might give that a try, as I assume you already tried Pressing <Alt> + <F10> while booting to initiate eRecovery.

You can also purchase the eRecovery media for your computer via this link -
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

The user manual for the 5720 can be located at -
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire5720/Aspire5720ul.shtml

Collapse -
Thanks!
by elektrasabertooth / September 2, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

Thanks Edward that's great I will go and look for a recovery disc and see how much they are, maybe that will help instead of my internal one.

If all else fails I will try and phone Acer myself

Thanks for the advice!

Collapse -
You talked about "format"....
by Papa Echo / September 2, 2010 8:58 PM PDT

"Recovery" does not require that you "format". You just ran the program...what it does is to recover your laptop to the out of the box stage... So, what did you actually do ?

Collapse -
acer recovery problem
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 1:53 AM PDT

You should make the "recovery media" (usually 2 DVDs!) whenever you buy a new computer. In case anything goes wrong ......

On a working Acer, go into "acer empowering technology", select system backup/recovery ..... 1st time you run this, it will "remind" you to create the "factory default backup". Which you can repeat any time later, for a spare set of recovery DVDs.

Howeve, if the hard disk has not been wrecked - the hidden recovery partition is still intact - it should still be possible to use it!

On a working computer, download the Gparted distro file, and burn it onto a cd or dvd, as an iso image(note, NOT an ordinary file, that won;t work!). Using the on-board burning software - eg, Nero, NTI, or similar.

On your Acer, select "boot from DVD drive" in bios menu, and gparted should start running. Re-set the smallest (3rd) partition as "bootable", and then boot into it from gparted .....

If this fails, note the "recvery media" DVD files for particular model Acers are often on the internet (but nop all models). Since this won't have your "windows license", you may have to re-enter your windows number - on the Windows label on the computer - to get "official" Microsoft updates .........

Collapse -
more info
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: acer recovery problem

Just to add:

If you have trouble updating windows after recovery using a "generic" DVD recovery copy, it sjhould still be possible to update using the service packs, although, this is longwinded and "ties up" you computer for maybe 90 minutes each time .......

If the built in DVD drive has gone, connect an external DVD burner, and select "boot from external DVD" in the bios menu ......

Collapse -
oops, sorry ......
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

oops sorry, above, you download the gparted distro cd FROM INTERNET (in case that wasn;t clear!). Just google for it .........

Collapse -
acer recovery problem
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:01 AM PDT

You should make the "recovery media" (usually 2 DVDs!) whenever you buy a new computer. In case anything goes wrong ......

On a working Acer, go into "acer empowering technology", select system backup/recovery ..... 1st time you run this, it will "remind" you to create the "factory default backup". Which you can repeat any time later, for a spare set of recovery DVDs.

Howeve, if the hard disk has not been wrecked - the hidden recovery partition is still intact - it should still be possible to use it!

On a working computer, download the Gparted distro file, and burn it onto a cd or dvd, as an iso image(note, NOT an ordinary file, that won;t work!). Using the on-board burning software - eg, Nero, NTI, or similar.

On your Acer, select "boot from DVD drive" in bios menu, and gparted should start running. Re-set the smallest (3rd) partition as "bootable", and then boot into it from gparted .....

If this fails, note the "recvery media" DVD files for particular model Acers are often on the internet (but nop all models). Since this won't have your "windows license", you may have to re-enter your windows number - on the Windows label on the computer - to get "official" Microsoft updates .........

Collapse -
oops again ....
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: acer recovery problem

Apology! I seem to have made my original post twice. Browser-finger trouble. Unfortunately, can't see an edit key ..... never mind, as long as the info's there!

Collapse -
more info (rambling mde now!).
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: oops again ....

..... new to this forum, just rambling on a bit now ......

Providing you've done nothing to destroy to "hidden" recovery partition on the hard disk, and doesn't sound like you have, it should still be intact, and if so has all the files needed!

The recovery process - restore factory default - IS longwinded ...... it only takes maybe 30 minutes to load all the files, but windows "setting itself up" does seem interminable! It can take over an hour .......

If the recovery process is interrupted, at any point, you get a "hung computer" that does nothing! However, re-setting the recovery partition as bootable, as described, will allow you to re-start, assuming the hidden partition remains intact.

The message "12 of 13" sounds like the Acer Empowering Technology installation - their special suite of programmes - which starts AFTER Windows setup is complete! However, I agree it sould not have taken all night .......

Anyway, have another go using gparted, hopefully you'll have better luck.

Collapse -
yet more stuff .....
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

Yeah, I'm starting to annoy people now, but this is important!

You certainly COULD do another factory default recovery.

However, re-reading the O.P., it seems the only problem is "12/13" on the screen ......

That's the Acer "Empowering" programmes still iniitalising, after recovery. Just leave it, and the installation whould eventually complete. Eventually.

If it doesn;t, either close then re-start windows, or just kill that process in task manager.

You should also make the factory default recovery DVDs (2), as soon as possible.

Collapse -
.....more info ......
by spiney2 / September 23, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

OK, re-reading original post, seems your only problem is "12 of 13" on screen (so, the factory default re-install went fine, and what I said was irrelevant!).

This is the "Acer Empowering" suite of programmes, still installing. It DOES take a very long time to complete. Just let it be.

If still there after 3 more days (say), then, either try re-starting windows, or just kill the process in task manager.

In any case, make the recovery media (2 DVDs) before you forget. That's in "empowering technology", go to system recovery, select "create factory default backup".

Collapse -
thanks!
by elektrasabertooth / September 23, 2010 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: .....more info ......

Thanks everyone, those replies look really helpful, I'll take a look at making those DVDs...

Yeah I left it going for 24 hours and nothing happened, this was after the format yes, I have done this 3 times now and it still reaches the same problem, stuck on 12/13 so I just have it switched off in start up, since all this I have been unable to install printers and get various other wonderful vista errors, so I have installed Linux at the moment and its running beautifully with none of these "issues".

However I am keen to try and make my windows work properly so will definitely take all your advice on board, thank you!

One of you advised about running recovery from dvd disc after I created it from acer emanagement, does this require a format 1st? or is this something that can be done regardless.

Thanks again guys for your responses,

Elektra Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.