Computer Help

Question

Acer computer not booting at altitude?

by GutenTag66 / December 5, 2012 11:42 AM PST

Hi all,

I own an Acer Aspire One laptop which I bought last April. It works perfectly most of the time. Recently on an airline flight it crashed during the climb. I had to shut it down by holding the power button. When trying to restart I saw the message. No bootable device - Check cable connection. During my stopover in Devnver I couldn't get it to work either. Arriving on the East cost it worked just fine. I performed a disk check and all was well. It gave me no issues while there. During the return flight though Denver I had the same problem. Back home in the Bay Area it works fine. On a trip to Tahoe it wouldn't boot again. Then at home it works again. It sounds like a problem with the hard drive or the motherboard maybe. But why would this happen only when going above a certain altitude? I'm thinking the threshold is in the vicinity of 1000m or maybe 3000 or 4000 feet. Anybody have such an issue? Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer computer not booting at altitude?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer computer not booting at altitude?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
3000 is where you start to see issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 2:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Another issue:
by mchainmchain / December 6, 2012 3:51 PM PST

Solar activity from our star, the sun. The higher the altitude, the greater the energy impact of 'cosmic' rays on a computer.

Collapse -
Answer
Environmental specs
by Willy / December 6, 2012 11:20 PM PST

Review the specs of your model#, but be sure to note what HD is present. Then visit that HD support website and locate its specs. While it may provide specs, be sure to note any "environmental" ones as it may apply. Following Robert's link, it does offer that atmosphere pressure will apply. However, that is negated when allowed to "equalize" just like a person that dives, blow out their ear canals in order to get diving. A minor filter is part of the HD, think of it as a vent for atmosphere equalization. I'm sure if you allowed equalization and maintained the height, the HD would work on top of what the article stated, but this is a time consuming process but necessary. if you've done this with other laptops and/or devices, think old HD technology vs. the new SSD type HD, which doesn't care as its pure sold state. -OR- it finally succumb to wear&tear of operation in what it thinks are extremes. If yours is older type HD, you may want swap to SSD if you continue to use it "airborne".

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Update
by GutenTag66 / April 30, 2013 6:42 AM PDT

My laptop went to Acer for repair two times. However it still hasn't been fixed. It works perfectly at sea level and up to about 1000m altitude. Once above that it crashes more frequently the higher you go. Above about 2000m it doesn't work at all. Acer CS is absolutely horrible. I've explained the issue and the last CSR I talked to agreed that I needed a new hard drive. But after the second repair all they did was to reload the drive and operating system. Prior to sending it in the second time I did this myself. Acer CS is just awful. he CSR's barely speak English and are hard to understand.

In addition the computer was not packaged well and came back physically damaged, probably beyond repair, the send time. Now it's on it's way back to Acer and I'm hoping to get a new computer. Right now I bought another laptop at Costco ( the Acer is also from Costco) with the intention of returning it when I receive a working Acer.

It's needless to say that I won't buy another Acer product. I wish Acer and other US companies would use CSRs in the US or at least CSRs who can speak and understand English. This whole experience has been extremely frustrating.

Collapse -
In this case you need to move to SSDD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Solid state disk drives for this seems like the next move. I'm a bit amazed they didn't tell you this.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.