Linux forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire One Series Notebook-Model No: ZG5-No Connection

by moreproblems / November 4, 2008 7:57 AM PST

Problems getting Internet connection away from wireless router.

Could someone please help me out if they know anything about the Linpus Linux System within the Acer Aspire One Notebook PC.

I brought an Acer Aspire One notebook pc using Linpus Linux operating system (via Ebay so 2nd owner). The Aspire One Series, Model No: ZG5, has Internet connection with the Ethernet lead connected directly to the wireless router but it is defeating the object I brought it for as I can't take it away from the room where my desktop PC and telephone line are. This was the reason for buying a wireless router. My whole system (ISP/phone line and wireless connection) is provided by TalkTalk and their wireless router used for this is a "Huawei EchoLife HG520b". TalkTalk advise they do not support the Linpus Linux system and although I have been told from Acer ways around this I cannot seem to get Internet connection without using the Ethernet lead connected to the router.

Acer Aspire One notebook are giving no further help as this is a software problem but say I should remove all the wireless networks listed on the Aspire notebook pc but I am not sure how I remove them. Please can someone advise me better as I have gone into the network connection icon and opened the connection manager but I do not know how I remove all the wireless network connections as Aspire advise. They then advise to open the network connection icon to select the one I want but the only thing listed there is "Lan". As Aspire advise, if it is a secure network I now need to enter the security key so it will then connect - I do not know what they mean by this either - how do I know if it is a secure network or where to find the security key.
For reference, this is Aspire's message to me:

You'll need to click on the network connection icon in the bottom right hand corner (it will look two screens next to each other) and open the connection manager. All the wireless networks will need to be removed.
Now close the connection manager with the button that says close. Click on the network connection icon and choose the network you wish to connect to. If it is a secure network you now need to enter the security key so it will then connect

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire One Series Notebook-Model No: ZG5-No Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire One Series Notebook-Model No: ZG5-No Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry to hear that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2008 8:07 AM PST
Collapse -
wireless
by n.skibinski / December 15, 2008 3:46 AM PST

Not sure if this helps but i have an acer aspire one using Xp should be the same though. this may be obvious but to turn the wireless on you slide the button on the front that opens the laptop up till the light lights up then it will start searching for wireless connections.

Collapse -
No internet connection
by brooksyfuller / January 4, 2009 6:20 PM PST

As with many wireless routers you have to contact that company, such as linksys, and get the number. They will gladly help and walk you through any connection problems that may occur with your router in getting you connected. I have had a wireless router for several years
and have bought several computers since then and once you have that number (security key) you should never have any more trouble with your wireless network unless it is on the networks side. So just call your router company for assistance, get your security key and your ready to go.

Collapse -
similar problem: resolved
by tbranaman / January 24, 2009 7:35 AM PST

I have spent the past week resolving the same problem with connectivity on my Aspire One set up with Windows XP. After logging on through an LAN and updating wireless drivers for the Atheros card and shutting down my firewall (zone alarm) for a period of time while I made a connection with my router by way of going into my router setup,I was finally able to get my system to connect. Acer support by email was responsive but generally useless as they were providing me prescribed suggestions without considering the specifics of my problem. I figured it out by trial and error after running several searches. This is apparently not an unusual problem.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire One ZG5 Wireless Internet Connection problem
by tempcheck / February 24, 2009 12:00 PM PST

I have had the same problem with connectivity on my Aspire One using Windows XP. I've done the same as you - connected with my LAN / ethernet and updated the wireless driver for the Atheros wireless card. I've tried shutting down my wireless router, turning off firewall, etc. Only way I can connect with my wireless router is by manually setting the IP address, if I allow it to automatically detect the IP address I receive note "No or Low Connectivity". Once I manaully set the IP address I get a very good or excellent connection to my wireless router, but can not connect to the Internet with this Acer - other wireless enable laptops are connecting just fine to the Internet using the same wireless router. I took the Acer Aspire One back to Staples today and they were able to connect to the store's wireless router and make a connection to the Internet. The technician at the store had to reset the properties to automatically dectect IP address, but when I came back home I encounter same problem. (i.e., I have to manually set IP address to connect to wireless router, but can not connect to Internet). I've been on phone with Acer support several times to no avail - they give up and keep telling me to buy a USB modem. Can you offer more details on what you meant by "going into my router setup,I was finally able to get my system to connect". I agree that this seems to be a worldwide problem and Acer is not offering any true solutions. If you need to know, I'm a Verizon DSL subsriber and the router is a Westell.

Collapse -
I see an issue today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2009 8:06 PM PST

Many are not aware where support boundaries begin and end. Acer did not setup your LAN so they don't have to do much other than supply a working machine.

Verizon didn't make the laptop so they usually have limited input.

-> Now we have a million people we expect to become networking experts?

I think you see the problem. This stuff is not easy enough. Add the issues of a wifi setup less than WPA security and you have upset people.

What to do? Please read our Networking Forum sticky about our preferred settings on the router.
Bob

Collapse -
My view of the problem
by ph1nup1 / March 3, 2011 3:33 AM PST

I'm just an ordinary user experiencing the same problem and it seems to center around security settings for wireless connection access. I have no problem getting access as long as there is no security used with the connection, i.e.,WPA, etc. This is what Acer needs to address and provide a fix that will allow the XP users to access wireless connectivity without compromising security.

Collapse -
You need wpa_supplicant
by GODhack / March 4, 2011 5:51 PM PST
In reply to: My view of the problem

And Linpus Linux do not have it probably. That distro is so bad.
Try other, better Linux distribution Wink

Collapse -
Same problem
by ladye156 / May 14, 2009 12:12 AM PDT

I have tried everything that I could think of. Although I am not a computer expert, I am pretty good at fixing things when they go wrong. I have looked at my network connections and when I click on the wireless connection, the delete is in gray so I cannot do it. Is there another way to delete it?

Collapse -
Make this a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2009 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

It doesn't work so ask for fix or money back.

Your post is so light on details I can only guess that you don't want to go deeper.
Bob

Collapse -
How can you connect Acer AspireOne A150 Netbook to internet?
by isitpossible / August 11, 2011 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I've seen the incredible amount of complaints and unsuccessful solutions offered during the past three days (and some nights) I've been desperately trying to tackle this internet connection problem. Now I just want to know one thing... How do I make this Acer connect to the internet? .. (If you want to conserve time, you can quickly skip the "brief summary" and scroll down directly to "The Question" below, which has a few more details on the initial situation. All other detail I've written is just extra:

Collapse -
help - japanese exchange student with acer aspire Zg5 connec

i have a japanese exchange student here with an acer aspire one sieries zg5. she has wireless connectivity in japan. cannot get on wireless here. all her screens are in japanese. she is running xp home and i tried to create side by side but still does not recognize wireless networks, although i can.

help!!!!!

Collapse -
How this related to Linux?
by GODhack / August 21, 2009 3:29 AM PDT

How this related to Linux?

Collapse -
Japanese student with Acer Aspire wireless problem
by angelworks--2008 / August 21, 2009 4:16 AM PDT

thought this was an Acer Aspire wireless problem forum. don't know about Linux. she is running xp home on the Acer Aspire with all japanese fonts.

Collapse -
A possible answer
by 3rdalbum / August 21, 2009 8:02 PM PDT

In certain countries, there are radio frequencies that are off-limits to civilians. Some of those frequencies are within the 2.4GHz range used by wireless networks. No consumer electronics devices sold in those countries are allowed to be made with the ability to access those frequencies.

In short, your wireless router might be set up to use a particular frequency that is banned in Japan, and therefore her wireless device cannot pick it up. Try changing the "channel" or "frequency" settings on your router, or attach a USB wireless networking device that you've bought from the country you are currently in.

Linux is an operating system that is (in my opinion) superior to Windows XP, and has been sold on many Acer Aspire One units, although it's not on your friend's computer.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by angelworks--2008 / August 25, 2009 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: A possible answer

now we understand. thank you so much. and i agree about linux.....will be trying it myself with next system.

Collapse -
Quadruple boot, 2 XP, 1 Jolicloud & 1 Win 7 with problems
by 007hackero / January 15, 2011 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you!

I have an ACER Aspire One AG5 AOA150 with max ram and a 500GB HDD and a 2GB SDHC for ReadyBoost in Win 7. I've had my quadruple boot for more than 6 months and haven't had any problems before until last night (01/14/11). There was no connectivity and no provable solution through win 7 diagnostics, disabled and uninstalled my Atheros AR5007EG Driver, downloaded and installed two most recent drivers for Atheros with no positive solutions.

Both XP Home and Pro, and my Jolicloud OSes are fine using my wireless card. At one website I read that the problem might be the wireless card that is bad, not applicable.

Any suggestions????

Collapse -
Aspire1 wireless solution
by pja108 / March 3, 2011 11:27 AM PST

I have just solved the problem of no network or net connection with TT HG520b router on an XP machine.

By changing security from WPA2 to the WEP.
Once changed log in as you would normaly.

Your default sign in key will be on a label on front of your router.

Cant help with Linux, I got rid and installed XP as soon as I gor it.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire One Zg5 Drivers
by cantomsoras / June 23, 2011 9:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
This worked !!
by TMullins0315 / July 4, 2011 4:19 AM PDT

This solution worked for us. Does anyone know if the Acer Aspire One is even compatible with WPA2 security technology ?

Collapse -
Same mode name different hardware
by GODhack / July 5, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: This worked !!

I have Acer Aspire One too and it worked out of box with Linux, even without separate driver install.
So hard to tell.
Some Linux ditributions may lack WPA support by default. You may need to install wpa_supplicant.

Collapse -
Connect Your Acer Aspire One
by yeltihw / August 8, 2011 3:09 AM PDT

I too have an Acer Aspire One, model no. ZG5, and I have had no problem hooking it up to my wireless network or the internet. The key they are asking you for is the key you entered when you set up your network. Without that, you're going no where. Either you hopefully wrote it down when you, or someone else set up your network. If you were to take your computer to a friends house and wanted to hook up to his(her) network, they would have to supply you with their key. If you took it to McDonald's or some other wi-fi hotspot, they would have to let you in by unsecuring their network. Clearly, the "key" is the key to your problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.