Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Acer Aspire One model ZG5 won't show available networks.

by jmaslow3 / March 10, 2010 9:51 PM PST

I have an Acer Aspire ZG5, and it is not able to find, show, display any Wireless Networks at all. I am connected right now via ethernet cable to the Bell Wireless Modem.

The Laptop uses Windows XP. Came installed with XP. I have never experienced this issue with this laptop before. Have had this for over a year now, and this is a new issue to me. Have used this on multiple wireless networks previously. No issues then. Have always been able to view the available networks, connect, then re-connect to our home network.

I have tried multiple times to remove then re-install the Atheros wireless drivers. No change. Last night, out of the blue, it said that it had 'low or no connectivity'. Then it went back to nothing.

Occasionally, it flashes that it can detect a wireless network in range. When I go check and attempt to refresh the list, it still says that there are no wireless networks in range.?.?.?

I have located the wireless device in the Device Manager and disabled then re-enabled it there. No change. I have gone to the Acer web site and tried to upload a more recent driver. No change. Tried the Roll Back option for the driver. No change.

And yes.... The stupid slider bar is on, and it flashes and says that it is Enabled on the screen. I'm not that blond!

Last night I did see a thread talking about going into the BIOS via regedit and looking for a third party file that may have been installed under local_host or local_machine or something.. But, I don't know how to tell what is a third party file or what is supposed to be there.

Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire One model ZG5 won't show available networks.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire One model ZG5 won't show available networks.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last tests.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2010 12:56 AM PST

Restore the OS to the factory load and if it fails, that's a sign the hardware has failed. The onscreen slider bar that flashes it's on is no guarantee the hardware is good.
Bob

Collapse -
question.... re acer aspire one zg5 not displaying networks
by jmaslow3 / March 11, 2010 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Last tests.

what would have changed on the computer from one week to the next? this little laptop worked fine and for some reason it randomly decides to go belly up?

would this be an issue with an automatic update? something that we might have done? aren't there any other steps to take to try to fix this situation rather than re-installing the OS?

why would the laptop suddenly for no reason stop showing the available wireless networks? if i try to enter the network settings i either get an error that it can not create the wireless network; or it accepts the information but drops it right after i click on ok.

Collapse -
Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2010 4:26 AM PST

Good questions all but that's the nature of how things fail. Given your posts I only think it's just another failed card.
Bob

Collapse -
View Available Wireless Networks - Not working
by FemPrometheon / January 7, 2011 7:22 AM PST

I am desperate to have my "View Available Wireless Networks" back working like it used to work, which was perfectly.

My AspireOne is also a ZG5 model; though Acer tells me the real model number is AOA150. I had Joy, Much Joy, on every wireless network me and my netbook encountered. UNTIL, I was stupid enough to listen to Linksys who told me I needed to update my drivers in order for my netbook to get an internet connection with my new E3000 wireless router. And yes, I was also dumb enough NOT to do a system restore point before updating my Atheros drivers and simultaneously totally hosing my ability to view ANY wireless network.

Right now I do not care at all about connection to the Linksys Router. I'm gonna send that thing back! All I want is for my View Available Wireless Networks to work again.

I've since downloaded atheros drivers from Acer; Run Acer eRecovery Management(Acer's restore to original factory state) and reinstalled my original drivers. I even found another atheros wireless adapter drivers that are supposed to work with the AR5007EG adapter I have on my AspireOne. But still no Joy.

Oh woe is me!!!!

I keep thinking that it's not the drivers, but that there is some setting that was lost when I reinstalled the drivers. Were you ever able to resolve your problem? Have you found any good sources for possible solutions?

Does anyone know of a list of protocols to check in order to rule out a setting change? Yes, my switch button is set to On. The light flashes and I get the message "Wireless LAN Disabled" or "Wireless LAN Enabled" when I turn it on and off.

My netbook is running Windows XP Home Edition. The tag on the back of my ZG5/AOA150 netbook says it has an "Atheros AR5BXB63" installed.

I've been on the phone and connected with Chat with Acer and all they tell me is that if I pay $129.99 for 90min. of tech support, they will fix my problem.

"There must be someway out of here... said the Joker to the Thief"

Collapse -
This is why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 12:53 AM PST

I always try those sub-20 buck usb wifi adapters. To get around repairing the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
still looking for an answer
by FemPrometheon / January 10, 2011 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: This is why

Yes, I probably will have to do that.

But I'd still like to find out what happened. I believe there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I also think there is someone out there that could explain to me what happened, and how I can fix it.

Collapse -
Then try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2011 9:05 AM PST

Swap in a new wifi module. I don't like doing that since it costs more than the USB thing and usually fails in a year.
Bob

Collapse -
Quadruple boot, 2 XP, 1 Jolicloud & 1 Win 7 with problems
by axel_helpdesk / January 15, 2011 5:36 AM PST

I have an ACER Aspire One AG5 AOA150 with max ram and a 500GB HDD and a 2GB SDHC for ReadyBoost in Win 7. I've had my quadruple boot for more than 6 months and haven't had any problems before until last night (01/14/11). There was no connectivity and no provable solution through win 7 diagnostics, disabled and uninstalled my Atheros AR5007EG Driver, downloaded and installed two most recent drivers for Atheros with no positive solutions.

Both XP Home and Pro, and my Jolicloud OSes are fine using my wireless card. At one website I read that the problem might be the wireless card that is bad, not applicable.

Any suggestions????

Collapse -
Can I suggest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 7:30 AM PST

Using system restore to when it worked?

Collapse -
uadruple boot, 2 XP, 1 Jolicloud & 1 Win 7 with problems
by axel_helpdesk / January 15, 2011 5:35 AM PST

I have an ACER Aspire One AG5 AOA150 with max ram and a 500GB HDD and a 2GB SDHC for ReadyBoost in Win 7. I've had my quadruple boot for more than 6 months and haven't had any problems before until last night (01/14/11). There was no connectivity and no provable solution through win 7 diagnostics, disabled and uninstalled my Atheros AR5007EG Driver, downloaded and installed two most recent drivers for Atheros with no positive solutions.

Both XP Home and Pro, and my Jolicloud OSes are fine using my wireless card. At one website I read that the problem might be the wireless card that is bad, not applicable.

Any suggestions????

Collapse -
aspire Zg5 with Other devices missing
by samara747 / September 2, 2010 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Last tests.

I have been trying to connect with the internt but i could not. when i click on device manager I discover all the (other devices) hightligted in yellow which means the otrher devised is messing.can some one tell me how can I load the other devices

Sam

Collapse -
"all the (other devices) hightligted in yellow which means"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 6:38 PM PDT

There are driver problems. It doesn't matter how this happens since we have malware, registry cleaners that damage the OS.

You can see if Acer has drivers for this machine and try that but the time you invest there is usually very high compared to restoring the machine to it's factory install.

Yes you have to reinstall your software and files from backup but this cures it most of the time.

And if you caught the issue early enough sometimes SYSTEM RESTORE can help.
Bob

Collapse -
uadruple boot, 2 XP, 1 Jolicloud & 1 Win 7 with problems
by axel_helpdesk / January 15, 2011 5:29 AM PST
Collapse -
3, 4 posts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 7:30 AM PST

Sorry but I'm unsure where you want to continue this discussion.

Collapse -
Atheros AR5007EG / VistaX32 Home Premium / Aspire 5100
by DanInBend / January 28, 2011 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: 3, 4 posts?

I am suddenly unable to connect to my wireless network (Linksys E2000 WPA2) via my laptop. I CAN connect wireless with my Droid2 and wired on my laptop. Error message reads "Windows cannot find any networks." Network Adapter Properties say "This device is working properly." Driver version is 9.2.0.113. I've looked around online but can't find any solutions. I'm thinking the adapter is cooked and needs to be replaced but before I do, any suggestions anyone?

Collapse -
Axel.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 12:20 AM PST

You have many posts so which one?

If you are not Axel, be sure you make a new discussion you own.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Acer ZG5 A250
by LaptopsDontFly / February 26, 2011 8:41 PM PST

I have the same Acer, Had the same problem.
I had to repair Winsock, Cnet has a download to fix it. Microsoft has one aswell, Sorry I don't have a link for it at the moment. But a simple search should find it. I hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.