Computer Help

General discussion

acer aspire one how to install fresh OS from usb drive

by smackface6 / March 21, 2010 8:37 PM PDT

call me a noob but this computer was a good price and had what i needed for funtionality but... i recently had a crash and i belive my hard drive is no longer useful.. ive tried using the erecovery managment.. no luck it gives me the error code =1005 stating there is no file system or may be corrupt... i also tried the network boot through artheros boot agent that did nothing at all.. i might buy a new hard drive for it but here is my problem.. if i buy a new drive or try to reinstall windows xp from usb how do i do it? either way i have to reinstall windows xp from a usb because i have no cd rom drive that was intelligently not added to these netbook type laptops im sure theres is a program "hopefully free" but either way i need it.. so if there is anyone out there that know's, your knowledge will be much apreciated. i have xp on an iso file ready to go but simply pluging in my removable drive doesnt work any idea's

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: acer aspire one how to install fresh OS from usb drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: acer aspire one how to install fresh OS from usb drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WAG here...
by Willy / March 21, 2010 8:59 PM PDT

If that Aspire 1 boots from an USB port, then why not use a USB ext. CD drive. Buy the whole CD drive setup or from a kit add a CD drive to it. The use of a USB ext. kit w/o any drive, then buy what drive you need. I would think a flash drive w/OS executable might work. I just offer the CD drive solution as you're dealing a disc. Can't that disc be loaded onto a flash drive then to the Aspire?

I've pretty good luck so far with this adapter across various needs:
ADA-2020, found at http://www.geeks.com or similar online vendors.

Of course, I'm sure someone has already done this. Doesn't Acer support offer a solution or under their FAQ what is required, etc.?

As for .ISO file, you need to burn that to a disc or flash drive, thus either device must be ready beforehand.

http://www.pallab.net/2009/05/31/install-any-operating-system-from-usb-drive-works-on-netbooks/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Have you looked at the Acer site
by lacsr / March 21, 2010 9:01 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.