Laptops

Resolved Question

Acer Aspire Laptop - Hard Disk Error

by DonJuan58 / December 14, 2012 5:40 AM PST

Hello, and thanks to whomever responds,

I'm having a crazy problem with my Acer Laptop. Let me give whatever background I can first. I bought this laptop two years ago, and have had zero problems with it. I currently use McAfee software for anti-virus assistance. The OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I was trying to log in to my work server via Internet Explorer, and I wasn't able to, my computer was running EXTREMELY slow (took forever to bring up IE). I shut my laptop and chalked it up to ... whatever. When I got home later that evening, my computer wouldn't boot up. It takes me to a screen where it reads:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v12.2.0
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I've tried a few different things, and when I try to resolve the issue using my computers 'self-fix' system, it brings back the message about the hard disk: A Hard Disk Cannot Be Found. If One Is Installed, It Cannot Be Detected.

I've tried changing ADHI to the other thing and rebooting (sorry, i'm not computer literate, go easy on me). I've tried going into the screen where I can use the 'self-fix' and rebooting the computer back to factory settings (I have all of the CD's I created when I got the computer originally, as well as a Windows 7 repair CD), but both options where I can start this process are greyed out and I can't click them.

Any help on this issue would be extremely helpful, please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!!

Configuration: Windows 7 / Internet Explorer 9.0

DonJuan58 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire Laptop - Hard Disk Error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire Laptop - Hard Disk Error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by DonJuan58

Collapse -
I can't tell if you tried?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:59 AM PST

Did you unplug and plug in the HDD to try again?

Did you try a new hard drive?

Bob

Collapse -
Acer laptop
by DonJuan58 / December 14, 2012 7:48 AM PST

Thank you both for the speedy reply. I should've noted, at the BIOS screen?, my hard drive is being recognized (a hitachi something)

Would unplugging and plugging make a difference? When I try to fix the computer 'automatically', there's a box area where I can upload drivers. Would this be my HDD drivers? Could those have been erased? Thanks for all of the help, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
yes. it takes me less than a minute to do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Acer laptop

Beats a repair counter or new drive.

Collapse -
I will try this tonight and see.
by DonJuan58 / December 14, 2012 8:24 AM PST

Thanks, I'll try tonight and see! Hopefully good news to follow.

Collapse -
Didn't work!
by DonJuan58 / December 14, 2012 11:14 PM PST

Well, I tried removing the HDD and plugging it back in, and that did not work. I have all of the CDs to install, or restore, my computer to factory defaults, but I can't seem to get them to begin the process (or how can I?) Any ideas anyone?

Collapse -
If the HDD is bad, the restore process should fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Didn't work!

I can't tell if you tried a new HDD or did any research on HDD testing.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried to restore...
by DonJuan58 / December 16, 2012 9:33 AM PST

I tried to update/restore my machine to a previously saved image on the last disc of discs that I created when I got the computer. The process started, but I was promptly given the message: Error Details: Windows did not find any fixed disk that can be used to recreate volumes present in backup. Ensure disks are online, and disk drivers are installed to access the disk(s). 'Diskpart.exe' tool with list disks command can be used to see the list of available fixed disks on the system.
Any ideas??

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Tried to restore...

We've shared that a bad HDD would fail like that on install/restore and more.

I can't tell if you tried a new working drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: hard disk error
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 5:59 AM PST

In such cases, we start with replacing the hard disk by one that isn't broken. Then we go back to factory conditions from the recovery media we made.

If that fails, the positive side is that it isn't the disk but the motherboard that needs to be replaced, so you still have all your data. The negative side is that replacing a motherboard in a 2-years old laptop is a doubtful investment, so you should seriously consider buying a new one.
But given that extreme slowness it's not unlikely it's only the disk.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.