Laptops

General discussion

Acer Aspire - audio driver and display problem

by corsair990 / April 19, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

Hi guys, I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5720-6661 via Newegg. It had vista premium installed but i wanted xp pro so i downgraded it and have been installing the drivers ever since.

the problem occurs with the audio driver. the sound was fine on the vista, but when i went to xp, i was unable to find the driver that worked for my laptop. i found several but none worked. when i go to dxdiag under "run" and go to sound, all the info's are blank. no name, no device id, no nothing.

same with the display tab, which brings me to my second problem. the laptop screen works... sorta. when i use my middle button on my mouse to scroll up and down a page, it is not smooth at all. it is like the screen is slowly being updated frame by frame. i wish i could show you what it is like but it is quite difficult to describe. im guess that it has to do with the driver missing also.

here are the specs:

acer aspire 5720-6661

intel core 2 duo processor t5250
nvidia geforce 8400 gs 256 mb

i think that is the most relevent spec....the graphics. i really hope you guys can find the solution for me.

note that this is xp now so im not sure if vista drivers will work anymore.

thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire - audio driver and display problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire - audio driver and display problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you install UAA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 10:45 AM PDT

Sorry but I don't tell what it is since it's a test to see if you got it.

Collapse -
uaa?
by corsair990 / April 19, 2008 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you install UAA?

can you tell me what UAA stands for? i googled it and i got something im pretty sure it isn't

Collapse -
Then you need to find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: uaa?
Collapse -
problem
by corsair990 / April 19, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

problem is that hp provides the drivers.....acer doens't for xp. i checked their website and they only provide the drivers for vista

and where can i download UAA?

Collapse -
From Acer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: problem

I use that as an example install. You have to research which you need for your laptop. Either with google or going to Acer.com. Right or wrong I can't do driver hunts for members. I will assist in pointing out a direction but that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
mb not driver
by corsair990 / April 19, 2008 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: From Acer.

i managed to find a driver for the laptop...im not sure if this is it but i think it is as close as i am going to get

its name is:
Audio_Realtek_v6.0.1.5413_R167_XP_Vista

i see the word vista in the end so i am kind of dubious.

when i installed it, it went through smoothly and asked to reboot. i did so but i still have a problem. is there any way to check if it is the computer having issues installing the driver?

Collapse -
It shouldn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: mb not driver
Collapse -
Acer probably won't support XP on that
by orlbuckeye / April 19, 2008 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: It shouldn't work.

machine unless you bought it from Acer. I had an issue with Gateway support when I gave them my serial number the records said Windows 98 but I had installed Win 2000. They told me i had to go threw Microsoft.

Collapse -
Again. "UAA"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

Microsoft is moving toward a bit of a universal driver framework, particularly with soundcard drivers. They describe this in KB articles KB888111 and in a predecessor article, and what it boils down to is that to install any HD audio driver in XP, you must *first* have the "baseline" driver for what they call the UAA Driver Framework. If you don't have the proper UAA driver, no HD audio drivers will install in XP. That explains the frequent "The device you are trying to install is not supported on this system" message.

I suspect the reason we are seeing conflicting reports on which version of the Sigmatel driver is appropriate is due to the fact that some owners are using different source media for their XP installations, some with and some without this KB888111 UAA framework driver.

To see if you are impacted by this problem while tring to install XP, do the following with your computer hooked up to the Internet (assuming you have XP on the network):

1. Go into Device Manager
2. Browse under "System Devices", and scroll down the list.
3. See if you have an exclamation point next to a generic "PCI Device"
4. If you do, right-click on the device and select "Update Driver"
5. Allow XP to search the network for the updated driver.
6. If you are affected, you will see a dialog with wording something like "Microsoft KB88111 UAA Driver Framework" being detected and installed.
7. If the driver for your sound device is already present, it will self-detect, install, and activate almost immediately upon installation of the UAA driver.
8. Your sound should be immediately available.

LAST HINT? Type KB888111 at google.

Collapse -
thank you
by corsair990 / April 19, 2008 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Again. "UAA"

thanks everyone!

after hours and days of struggilng i managed to get the audio problem fixed....for some reason it sounds really tinny but i guess its better than nothing...

ah now im facing the visual problem...ill post another topic on that one and hopefully you guys can help again.

again, thanks alot!

Collapse -
the same troubles with graphics
by robinhood7679 / June 17, 2008 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Hallo friend!
Did you already solved your problem with display driver?
I?ve got the same troubles with my Acer Aspire 5720Z, GeForce 8400 GS, windows XP. Thanks in advance for any help.
robert

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.