Laptops forum

Acer Aspire 7739 screen prolems

by williesmith2008 / July 22, 2013 11:20 AM PDT

I was brought this laptop and told that an infant stepped on it.

On boot-up, the screen show colored vertical and horizontal cross hatch lines and will not go past the ACER splash. I am hoping for some suggestions. I do have a Youtube video of me booting it up at

Please check it out and tell me what you think. I am sure I will have to break it down. I am open for things to check once I get that far.

Thank you
Willie Smith

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Acer Aspire 7739 screen prolems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Acer Aspire 7739 screen prolems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That's a series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2013 11:26 AM PDT

If it's one of the series with GMA graphics ask the owner if they changed the RAM.

If not, my bet is it's another mainboard. Details are missing as this is a series so I'll write you as the tech would check that the heatsinks are still on tight.

All Answers

Collapse -
by williesmith2008 / July 22, 2013 11:21 AM PDT

Collapse -
More Details
by williesmith2008 / July 22, 2013 6:37 PM PDT

From the stickers on the back of the laptop:
Acer Aspire: 7739
Model: AIC70
MFG Date: 2011/07/02 Aspire 7739Z-4605

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: More Details

OK, ask the owner if they upgraded the ram and if so, go back to stock or just one stick.

Also ask about the last time they used the canned air. If they ask what is canned air or didn't do the work every few months then give an estimate for a new mainboard.

If they balk at that, offer a cleaning and heatsink compound replacement with no warranty or refund for the work. It might help but might not.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.